Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [9]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [6]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [1]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 530 Q42 V22
GMAT 3: 570 Q36 V31
GPA: 3.14
WE:Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [12]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rencsee wrote:
aviejay wrote:
I get confused with whether a plural verb should be used or a singular in these kind of sentences.
Here "limit" has been used for "the kind of fierce intercolony struggles". But should'nt "limits" be used as the noun is "the kind of fierce...", which is singular? Here "fierce intercolony struggles" have been bundled into a single entity which has been refered to using "the kind of fierce..."

Can you please explain with some examples?

Hi,

I also have confusion about this.

Maybe, as per the meaning, THAT modifies fierce intercolony struggles, not the kind of.. part of the phrase?

Can someone please clarify how 'type of noun' and 'kind of noun' phrases work?

type of newspapers that clarify/ clarifies?
types of newspaper that clarify/clarifies?

Thank you in advance,
R

Excellent question! When we have this kind of construction, there's no universal rule dictating what the relative pronoun refers to. In other words, if I saw a phrase such as, "The box of raisins that..." I don't know if "that" is referring to "raisins" or "box" without using additional context.

If we had "The box of raisins that has a hole in the flap where my feral infant chewed through the packaging..." we'd note two things. First, the verb "has" indicates that the antecedent for "that" should be singular. The closest preceding singular noun is "box." Next, we'd see that it makes perfect sense for a box to have a hole in the flap. Seems okay.

If we'd had "The box of raisins that have a hole in the flap where my feral infant chewed through the packaging.." we'd perform the same analysis. "Have" would be associated with a plural subject, so "that" would refer to "raisins." However, it wouldn't make sense to for raisins to have a flap or packaging, so we've got a mistake.

Now, consider another example: "The box of raisins that bear an unfortunate resemblance to rabbit droppings..." the verb "bear" would indicate a plural subject and antecedent, again leading us to "raisins." But this time, it's logical for raisins to resemble rabbit droppings. (In fact, it would be weird to find raisins that didn't!) So this sentence is fine.

To summarize, this isn't strictly a grammar issue, it's a logic and context issue. Use the verb associated with "that" to determine whether the antecedent is singular or plural. Once you've identified the antecedent, ask yourself if the antecedent makes sense. There's no getting around it. You're going to have to do some thinking on this test. :)

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 1059
Send PM
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has [#permalink]
Kudos
seekmba wrote:
I was hung up in this sentence because I thought the sentence has "this species" and "its" (which is singular ) in non-underlined part and hence we need singular subject in the underlined part as well. (big mistake on my part).

The "its" in the end of the sentence refers to "this species" and the subject of this phrase is 'struggles'......struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina

"considers to be" which is present in all options seems really awkward to me. "consider to be" or 'consider as" is a big no-no in GMAT.

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural. Also we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence.

B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. 'being' is not accepted. we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence

C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural

D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - CORRECT

E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - same as A

When will be uses of 'Being' correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits -- being as a modifier is wrong

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit --being as a modifier is wrong

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits--- struggles that limits -- basic S-V mismatch

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit-- No being; no SV mismatch; "ants and close relatives" is ok - The best choice

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits -- being is wrong

If one were to get this question in the exam, all one has to do is to kick out, A, B, and E for their inappropriate use of 'being' as a modifier. Then, between C and D, 'struggles that limits' disqualifies C. D is the choice all the way. No need to scratch the scalp.

Originally posted by daagh on 03 Sep 2018, 08:39.
Last edited by daagh on 19 Dec 2018, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
smmunna wrote:
When will be uses of 'Being' correct?

Check out this article for a long-winded answer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 42299.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Am I the only one who is off put by a shift in scope that alters the meaning of sentence? (C) "because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits." So the Argentine Ant has spread because of a lack of genetic variation. We are then told that this is because members of the species(due to their being so genetically similar) views other members as cousins and thus intercolony struggles don't happen. However in C it shifts the scope to The Ant as in all species of ants? Is it logical that I am interpreting the answer choice in this way?. So the Argentine ant has spread because of lack of genetic variation. This is because The Ant- all species of ant? view each other as cousins. It should be the argentine Ant, or the sentence should describe members of this group using plural Ants, but the argentine ant has not in particular spread because all ants view other ants as cousins right? I know that C is still wrong because of the sneaky "struggles that limits', however is this something I should look for in the future, or am I over analyzing?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
In my strong opinion, if you have already found out even a small but strong error in the choice, it is enough to reject it and bother about things in the question. because the maxim is that one percent poison in GMAT is 100 percent untouchable.
What happens if all other doubtful things turn out to be correct in C but the struggles that limits still remains? Can we still choose it? The S-V mismatch is a Himalayan blunder and not a small one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

What does its refer to here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
darshak1 wrote:

What does its refer to here?
In

... fierce intercolony struggles that limit the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

its refers to this species (the Argentine ant).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
In option D, I was confused what is the Antecedent for THEY. I thought Argentine Ant was the Subject and we needed a Singular. Could someone please help me understand this.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
babloorudra wrote:
In option D, I was confused what is the Antecedent for THEY. I thought Argentine Ant was the Subject and we needed a Singular. Could someone please help me understand this.

Hello, babloorudra. I am glad to help you with this one. It confused me at first, too, but when I considered the alternatives, (D) was a clear winner. Pick it up from the underlined portion, and consider the because clause to be a dependent introductory clause, as though the rest of the line were a standalone sentence, and the answer makes complete sense:

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit...

Since struggles is, of course, plural, the only other reasonable option at the tail-end of the underlined portion is (B), but it has other issues. Even if you are unsure about the due to versus because split, notice the lack of clarity in referring to a bunch of different ants as a singular close relative.

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit...

Does this mean the ant thinks of different ants it encounters as a specific relative, say, Cousin Eddy or whatever, or does it perceive that these different ants are related to it in general, which the sentence seems to be driving at? A quick fix in close relatives would tidy that one up, but in any case, there is no such problem anywhere in (D).

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29939 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
jerrywu wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 747
Page: 698

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

We can solve this by focusing on singular and plural nouns.

(A) ...ants consider all their FELLOWS (plural) to be A CLOSE RELATIVE (singular) and thus...ELIMINATE
(B) ...ant considers all its FELLOWS (plural) to be A CLOSE RELATIVE (singular) and thus...ELIMINATE
(C) ...ant considers all its FELLOWS (plural) to be A CLOSE RELATIVE (singular) and thus...ELIMINATE
(D) ...ants consider all their FELLOWS (plural) to be CLOSE RELATIVES (plural) and thus...KEEP
(E) ...ants consider all their FELLOWS (plural) to be A CLOSE RELATIVE (singular) and thus...ELIMINATE

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMATNinja

Hey I get your point here on the issues of "due to" and "being", what about "limits" and "limit" , what is relevant here ? shouldnt that match with the subject ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Niss444 wrote:
GMATNinja

Hey I get your point here on the issues of "due to" and "being", what about "limits" and "limit" , what is relevant here ? shouldnt that match with the subject ?

Looking at the correct answer choice (D), the "that" after "struggles" introduces a noun modifier -- something that describes the "struggles." Since "struggles" is plural, we use the plural verb form "limit."

For more on that, check out this post and this post, if you haven't already.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
jerrywu wrote:

Practice Question

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

This question is based on Idiomatic Usage, Subject-Verb Agreement, and Pronoun Usage.

The options offer a choice between the conjunctions ‘due to’ and ‘because’. ‘Due to’ cannot modify a clause or a phrase, so, ‘because’ is the better choice here. Moreover, in option A, the verb “limits” does not agree with the subject “struggles”. So, Options A and B can be eliminated.

The subject-verb disagreement is repeated in Option C. The pronoun ‘it’ and the singular subject ‘the ant’ cause some distortion in meaning in this sentence, as it is not clear what the ant is genetically similar to. So, Option C can be eliminated.

Option E contains the awkward phrase “because of being so genetically similar to one another”. It also contains the same subject-verb disagreement as Options A and C. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

In D, the conjunction ‘because’ is followed by a clause and provides the reason that ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative.

Subject verb agreement is maintained as the plural verb “limit” agrees with the subject “struggles”.

The consistency of pronoun usage is also maintained in this option. Since the second part of the sentence is separated from the first by a semi-colon, the second part is a closely-related, but stand-alone sentence in which “ants” is the subject, so the pronoun ‘they’ and ‘their’ can appropriately refer to the antecedent ‘ants’.

Therefore, D is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
rma26 wrote:
daagh GMATNinja carcass Sorry for tagging.
Can anyone tell me how option D is correct? The correct idiom is "consider A B". But it uses consider A to be B!

Plz give kudos!

No need to apologize for the tagging! As long as you're being reasonable about it, it's a totally legit way to get our attention. :)

Here comes some heresy: I don't ever really see idioms as absolute rules. (A long, unpopular rant about idioms can be found here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html) Sure, there are a few (older) official questions that feature "considered" without the "to be" -- but I'm not shocked that a counterexample appeared in OG 2017. Outside of the GMAT, I'm not sure that you'll find many grammar experts or editors who actually believe that "considered to be" is always wrong.

More importantly: you have no choice at all. "Considered... to be" appears in all five answer choices. So they've clearly made it a non-issue, and you definitely need to focus on other things, like the pronouns and the "due to", for example.

I'll let you enjoy the question from here, but let us know if you have more questions about this one!

"Its" doesn't have a singular antecedent in (D).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [5]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
The "its" at the end of the independent clause doesn't have a singular antecedent.

Hello lakshya14,
Let me help you with this one. :-)

The antecedent for the singular possessive pronoun "its" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence is ""species". This word can be used as both the singular and plural noun.

That the word "species" has been used as a singular noun in this official sentence is evident by the usage of the phrase "this species". The sentence intends to say that Argentina is the native country of the Argentine ant species.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
jerrywu wrote:

Practice Question

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/05/30/science/observatory.html

Nothing quite that creepy is going on in California, but the state has been overrun by a species of ant that, researchers say, has essentially formed a single giant colony from San Diego to San Francisco and beyond. The researchers, from the University of California at San Diego, discovered a lack of genetic variation in the insect, the Argentine ant, which has allowed the species to spread to nooks and crannies up and down the state, particularly in coastal areas.

Individual ants are so close genetically, the researchers report in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, that they consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony death matches that limit the ants in their native Argentina.

The Argentine Ant

(A) Subject-Verb (struggles that limits); Noun-Noun (fellows … a close relative)

(B) Comparison (similar); Noun-Noun (fellows … a close relative)

(C) Comparison (similar); Subject-Verb (struggles that limits);

(D) CORRECT

(E) Subject-Verb (struggles that limits); Noun-Noun (fellows … a close relative)

First glance

The answer choices begin with either due to or because of. Generally-accepted grammar rules state that due to is used with nouns or noun phrases and because of is used with clauses, though the distinction can sometimes be a judgment call.

For this reason, perhaps, the GMAT does not appear to test this issue formally; the Official Guide explanations for all problems dealing with because of vs. due to do not address these differences. Therefore, ignore this issue.

Issues

(1) Subject-Verb: struggles that limits

The original sentence says the following: the kind of struggles that limits the spread of this species. The word that, when preceded by a noun, is a noun modifier. In this case, it is referring to the noun just before, struggles: the struggles limit the spread of the species. Answer (A) pairs a plural noun with a singular verb; eliminate it. Also eliminate answers (C) and (E), which repeat this error.

(2) Noun-Noun: fellows … a close relative

The original sentence contains the language the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative.

All their fellows cannot be a single relative; rather, they would be close relatives. Eliminate choices (A), (B), and (E) for this error.

(3) Comparison: similar

If one thing is similar to another, it is necessary to include the another portion of the comparison. Answers (B) and (C) do not actually indicate what the ant is similar to. (Note: it is possible to omit the separate mention of another if a plural construction is used. For example, this is correct: The twins are so similar! Since there are two twins, the comparison is to each other.)

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (D) properly pairs the plural noun struggles with the plural verb limit and the plural noun fellows with the plural description close relatives.

Note: this correct answer contains a tempting trap that might cause someone to cross it off. The plural pronoun they appears not to match the singular Argentine ant mentioned at the beginning of the sentence. It’s true that this pronoun does not go with this noun; rather, it goes with the plural word ants that appears after the pronoun they.

Is the pronoun "they" in answer d referring to "the ants" that follow the comma?:

if the answer is affirmative, would the sentence be ok even without the first independent clause?, e.g:

Because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

Can anyone help me to clarify this? I'm asking because I don't know if you can use a pronoun before using a noun
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts