It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 722

Kudos [?]: 865 [0], given: 724

Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 04:00
jerrywu wrote:
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits


This does not seem to be GMATPREP Question...Because it has sentence structure not preferred by GMAT... All options have Consider X to be Y....

Found an interesting post by RON....Posting below for everybody

is this problem from GMAT PREP?
if so, please provide a screen shot; i haven't seen it before.

gokul -- "consider to be" is not incorrect; it's just a different variation.
you'll see "consider X Y" in most cases, because it's more concise, but "consider X to be Y" is an equivalent construction. neither is incorrect.

in fact, it's possible to write a construction in which "consider X to be Y" is actually necessary, because "consider X Y" is an ambiguous construction.
here you go:

at the restaurant i tried the "bandeja paisa", considered one of antioquia's staple dishes, and regarded the rest of the menu with fascination.
--> two meanings.
1) i "considered" the dish = thought about trying it;
2) the bandeja paisa is considered to be one of the staple dishes of antioquia.

if i mean to write #2, i can write
at the restaurant i tried the "bandeja paisa", considered to be one of antioquia's staple dishes, and regarded the rest of the menu with fascination
...no more ambiguity.


More on this :
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... 11179.html
_________________


“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 865 [0], given: 724

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1393

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 21:07
jerrywu wrote:
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits


some preposition can go before doing in the pattern
doing +comma+ main clause
for example
instead of leaning english, I learn gmat. this is correct
but not all preposition can get this fuction. because of can not. E is wrong.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 943

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 13:08
jerrywu wrote:
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.


A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
similar to WHAT???
D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Posts: 55

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2016, 22:25
The plural form of Limit is Limits. Correct me if i am wrong

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1131

Kudos [?]: 1237 [0], given: 29

Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 23:40
I'm not quite sure what you mean about "being" or "higher" points, although it's true that the use of "being" doesn't work well in E.However, a simple problem with E is that it mismatches singular and plural: "consider their fellows to be a relative" and "struggles that limits."
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1237 [0], given: 29

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 484

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 22:25
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.



C. because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be close relatives and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits

it is so genetically similar?? similar to what??

D. because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit

E. because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits SV agreement error

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 342

Top Contributor
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 564

Kudos [?]: 2930 [0], given: 220

Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 03:46
Top Contributor
ranjeet75 wrote:
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A. due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits

B. due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit

C. because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be close relatives and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits

D. because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit

E. because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits


In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A. due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits ---------->>>Subject verb error

B. due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit ---------->>> pronoun error

C. because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be close relatives and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits ------------>>>Subject verb error

D. because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit ------------>>>Correct

E. because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits ---------->>>Subject verb error
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2930 [0], given: 220

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2015
Posts: 261

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 22:23
Because vs Because of

The key to understanding grammar is patience. So bear with me on this one.

Because is a subordinating conjunction.
What is a subordinating conjunction? It is used to introduce a subordinating clause.
What is a subordinating clause? A complete statement with a subject and a verb - subordinating because it is not the main idea of the statement.
So, because is to be followed up with a complete statement.
And yes, some statements may start with because, as long as they have a complete statement attached to it.
Because I think I am a genius, I wrote this comment.

Because of is a compound preposition.
Grammar Alert! Prepositions were conceived by mankind to follow ONLY NOUNS.
Because of knowledge, man dropped out from paradise.

Due to is often interchangeably used with Because of. However, I found this post that helps out on due to v/s because of. Thanks to guys Magoosh.

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... nsequence/
_________________

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 165

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2016
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 44

Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q51 V24
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 09:42
sayantanc2k, egmat

In the non-underline portion: spread of this species in ITS native Argentina.
Here ITS refers to the ant, so shouldn't we consider ant singular as in Option C? I know there is another error in option C (struggles that limits) hence it seems none of the option is correct.
Please explain.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 44

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 08:04
TheRzS wrote:
thanks techiesam


Please feel free to use the "Request expert reply" button in case you need your query to be responded by one of our experts. You will find the button at the bottom of the first post (the question).

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 23:37
rakaisraka wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sachin0890 wrote:
sayantanc2k, egmat

In the non-underline portion: spread of this species in ITS native Argentina.
Here ITS refers to the ant, so shouldn't we consider ant singular as in Option C? I know there is another error in option C (struggles that limits) hence it seems none of the option is correct.
Please explain.


In option D, "its" refer to "species", which is singular. Hence the pronoun usage in option D is alright.



Hi, All choices use Consider TO BE idiom. Isnt it incorrect. I think correct idiom is consider A B.


Yes, your observation is valid. However I remember seeing at least one official question, in which consider to be was used in the correct option. I shall revert back if I can find that question.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 03:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Sachinrpat wrote:
Q) Whether "consider to be" is correct; also whether "consider X Y/ X consider Y etc" where consider doesn't follow any preposition/infinitive, is ALWAYS correct?

If answer to first question is YES, please elaborate it with few examples.


1. I consider you my friend. (consider X Y)...... correct
2. I consider you to be my friend. (consider X to be Y)... suspect (I have seen at least one official example in which this usage was in the correct option - if I find it, I shall post it here.)
3. The employer did not consider his application. (X consider Y).... correct

Kudos [?]: 3518 [1], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 297

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 22:21
However, I selected the right choice. I just want to know the reason of rejecting choice B.

It seems that usage of "being" is incorrect in choice b. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. If a choice were below, would it be correct? In other words, usage of singular form of the ANT will be correct in this sentence?

because it is so genetically similar to one another,the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit


2. What is the use of "being" other than in passive voice of continuous tense?

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 297

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 22:21
However, I selected the right choice. I just want to know the reason of rejecting choice B.

It seems that usage of "being" is incorrect in choice b. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. If a choice were below, would it be correct? In other words, usage of singular form of the ANT will be correct in this sentence?

because it is so genetically similar to one another,the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit


2. What is the use of "being" other than in passive voice of continuous tense?

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 136

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 08:58
AR15J wrote:
However, I selected the right choice. I just want to know the reason of rejecting choice B.

It seems that usage of "being" is incorrect in choice b. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. If a choice were below, would it be correct? In other words, usage of singular form of the ANT will be correct in this sentence?

because it is so genetically similar to one another,the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit


2. What is the use of "being" other than in passive voice of continuous tense?


The use of "due to" in option B is wrong. "Due to" may refer to a noun, not a verb - here "due to" wrongly refers to verb "considers".

1. Yes, it would be correct. "The ant" would then mean the species as a whole.

2. "Being" is the verb+ing form of the verb "to be". So, like all other verb+ing forms, it can be used as a present participle, a gerund or continuous form of the verb.

"Because of" / "due to" followed by a gerund is considered awkward - hence " Because of being.." and "due to being" are wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2770

Kudos [?]: 917 [0], given: 67

Location: India
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 10:24
oishik2910 wrote:
can you please tell why this OG question violates the "consider to be idiom error"
according to other questions consider mustn't be followed by to be

please tell where i am wrong


I second that. I disregarded options looking at consider to be. Then realized that it is present in all.

Finally, ignoring this idiom, I was able to get to a final answer.

But I would requests experts to put some thoughts on this.
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 917 [0], given: 67

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:03
abhimahna wrote:
oishik2910 wrote:
can you please tell why this OG question violates the "consider to be idiom error"
according to other questions consider mustn't be followed by to be

please tell where i am wrong


I second that. I disregarded options looking at consider to be. Then realized that it is present in all.

Finally, ignoring this idiom, I was able to get to a final answer.

But I would requests experts to put some thoughts on this.


It is mentioned in some good and authentic guides that "consider to be" is incorrect . But since this is an OG question, we need to realign ourselves, i.e., in GMAT, we cannot eliminate an answer because of usage of "consider to be".

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2770

Kudos [?]: 917 [0], given: 67

Location: India
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:06
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
oishik2910 wrote:
can you please tell why this OG question violates the "consider to be idiom error"
according to other questions consider mustn't be followed by to be

please tell where i am wrong


I second that. I disregarded options looking at consider to be. Then realized that it is present in all.

Finally, ignoring this idiom, I was able to get to a final answer.

But I would requests experts to put some thoughts on this.


It is mentioned in some good and authentic guides that "consider to be" is incorrect . But since this is an OG question, we need to realign ourselves, i.e., in GMAT, we cannot eliminate an answer because of usage of "consider to be".


True. I understand your point brother. Even I saw 1 OG question where 'and also' was correct.

So my concern is how do we need to actually determine whether a particular usage is correct. Any suggestions?
_________________

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 917 [0], given: 67

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 479

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 10:04
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits
D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit
E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2015
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 28

Reviews Badge
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 22:31
seekmba wrote:
I was hung up in this sentence because I thought the sentence has "this species" and "its" (which is singular ) in non-underlined part and hence we need singular subject in the underlined part as well. (big mistake on my part).

The "its" in the end of the sentence refers to "this species" and the subject of this phrase is 'struggles'......struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina

"considers to be" which is present in all options seems really awkward to me. "consider to be" or 'consider as" is a big no-no in GMAT.

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural. Also we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence.

B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. 'being' is not accepted. we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence

C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural

D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - CORRECT

E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - same as A


"due to" is used to modify noun and "because" is used to modify verb. So dont you think we should use due to here as we have a noun phrase and there is no clause after "due to" or "because"?

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 28

Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2017, 22:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 58 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.