GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 20:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 14:05
aviejay wrote:
I get confused with whether a plural verb should be used or a singular in these kind of sentences.
Here "limit" has been used for "the kind of fierce intercolony struggles". But should'nt "limits" be used as the noun is "the kind of fierce...", which is singular? Here "fierce intercolony struggles" have been bundled into a single entity which has been refered to using "the kind of fierce..."

Can you please explain with some examples?

Hello aviejay,

I am not if you still have this doubt. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

Whenever we have the structure X of Y that + verb, the number of the verb will be decided by whether that modifies X or Y.

Now, the modification of that will depend upon the context of the sentence. We need to assess whether it makes sense for that to modify X or Y.

So let's apply this test on this official sentence. From the context of this sentence, we can understand that the noun modifier that modifies the immediate preceding noun struggles because the struggles limit the spread of the said species in Argentina.

It does not make sense to say that some kind limits the spread of the said species in Argentina.

Hence, the context helps us decide the logical meaning through logical modification. This logical modification helps us decide the correct number of verb.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 21:52
We can eliminate choice A and B since they use "due to".

In choice C, D, and E, C & E make the mistake of calling a bunch of the ant's fellow a close relative.

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Schools: IIMA (II)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 10:40
siddreal wrote:
daagh wrote:
This is a good question, because one can learn the psyche of GMAT through this. Is this a GPREP question? If it is so, it seals any doubt that we have regarding the use of ‘consider to be’ as an authenticated idiom. If GPREP prefers to use ‘consider to be’ in all the five choices or even in its OA, then we must take it. However, who can confirm, that this is indeed a GPREP or official question? ‘Outside GMAT domain, ‘consider to be’ is accepted all over the world, but that may be irrelevant to us in GMAT.

Therefore, D springs to life once again. In B, the version drops out the phrase ‘to one another’ which is essential to point out that the comparison is extended to all the ants in Argentina and not limited to two of them or two species of them.

This wobbly question changes track often from singular in the beginning to plural in the middle and then back to singular in the end. If it is a genuine GPREP or official question, it is a beautiful one. If not, it is a dubious one.

daagh This is a question from OFFICIAL GMAT GUIDE 2018. I eliminated all answer choices one by one because of the IDIOM ERROR " Consider......to be ......", which as told to us is wrong, only to realize later that all the answers have same error in idiom (or not).

Best catch in this problem is:
"fellows to be a close relative" vs "fellows to be close relatives"

the 2nd one is the correct choice and only option D has that.

======Hit +1 KUDOS if that helped pls======================
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 01:10
The struggles is a singular entity,
so shouldn't the limits that come after
struggles that limits/ struggles that limit agree on number. I thought struggle is singular so limits should be used and hence c.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
WE: Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 04:44
aviejay wrote:
I get confused with whether a plural verb should be used or a singular in these kind of sentences.
Here "limit" has been used for "the kind of fierce intercolony struggles". But should'nt "limits" be used as the noun is "the kind of fierce...", which is singular? Here "fierce intercolony struggles" have been bundled into a single entity which has been refered to using "the kind of fierce..."

Hi,

I also have confusion about this.

Maybe, as per the meaning, THAT modifies fierce intercolony struggles, not the kind of.. part of the phrase?

Can someone please clarify how 'type of noun' and 'kind of noun' phrases work?

type of newspapers that clarify/ clarifies?
types of newspaper that clarify/clarifies?

Thank you in advance,
R
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 19:58
rencsee wrote:
aviejay wrote:

Hi,

I also have confusion about this.

Maybe, as per the meaning, THAT modifies fierce intercolony struggles, not the kind of.. part of the phrase?

Can someone please clarify how 'type of noun' and 'kind of noun' phrases work?

type of newspapers that clarify/ clarifies?
types of newspaper that clarify/clarifies?

Thank you in advance,
R

Excellent question! When we have this kind of construction, there's no universal rule dictating what the relative pronoun refers to. In other words, if I saw a phrase such as, "The box of raisins that..." I don't know if "that" is referring to "raisins" or "box" without using additional context.

If we had "The box of raisins that has a hole in the flap where my feral infant chewed through the packaging..." we'd note two things. First, the verb "has" indicates that the antecedent for "that" should be singular. The closest preceding singular noun is "box." Next, we'd see that it makes perfect sense for a box to have a hole in the flap. Seems okay.

If we'd had "The box of raisins that have a hole in the flap where my feral infant chewed through the packaging.." we'd perform the same analysis. "Have" would be associated with a plural subject, so "that" would refer to "raisins." However, it wouldn't make sense to for raisins to have a flap or packaging, so we've got a mistake.

Now, consider another example: "The box of raisins that bear an unfortunate resemblance to rabbit droppings..." the verb "bear" would indicate a plural subject and antecedent, again leading us to "raisins." But this time, it's logical for raisins to resemble rabbit droppings. (In fact, it would be weird to find raisins that didn't!) So this sentence is fine.

To summarize, this isn't strictly a grammar issue, it's a logic and context issue. Use the verb associated with "that" to determine whether the antecedent is singular or plural. Once you've identified the antecedent, ask yourself if the antecedent makes sense. There's no getting around it. You're going to have to do some thinking on this test. :)

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 07:53
seekmba wrote:
I was hung up in this sentence because I thought the sentence has "this species" and "its" (which is singular ) in non-underlined part and hence we need singular subject in the underlined part as well. (big mistake on my part).

The "its" in the end of the sentence refers to "this species" and the subject of this phrase is 'struggles'......struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina

"considers to be" which is present in all options seems really awkward to me. "consider to be" or 'consider as" is a big no-no in GMAT.

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural. Also we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence.

B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. 'being' is not accepted. we need 'Because' in the beginning of the sentence

C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - 'it' cannot be genetically similar to itself. we need 'limit' because 'struggles' is plural

D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - CORRECT

E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - same as A

When will be uses of 'Being' correct?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 08:39
Top Contributor
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limit

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce inter-colony struggles that limits

If one were to get this question in the exam, all one has to do is to kick out, A, B, and E for their inappropriate use of 'being' as a modifier. Then, between C and D, 'struggles that limits' disqualifies C. D is the choice all the way. No need to scratch the scalp.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 09:35
smmunna wrote:
When will be uses of 'Being' correct?

Check out this article for a long-winded answer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 42299.html

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 09:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap