Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:30 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [16]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [4]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5929 [1]
Given Kudos: 3124
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: In deep temperate lakes, water temperatures vary according to depth. I [#permalink]
My approach comes from the thought that if the Anglers want to fish during the late wintertime when the 'turnover' hasn't yet happened/ is soon approaching - as suggested by the shallow/partial ice, the ice would be more likely to melt, thus making it more dangerous to fish on - then, they would probably resort to more safer means like fishing on a shallow bay or close to a rocky point.
Its a matter of safety and not taking a risk.
Hence, when the fishermen stay close to the bay or on the rocks, that would mean the 'turnover' could happen at any point.

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong!
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5929 [0]
Given Kudos: 3124
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Re: In deep temperate lakes, water temperatures vary according to depth. I [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sharathnair14 wrote:
My approach comes from the thought that if the Anglers want to fish during the late wintertime when the 'turnover' hasn't yet happened/ is soon approaching - as suggested by the shallow/partial ice, the ice would be more likely to melt, thus making it more dangerous to fish on - then, they would probably resort to more safer means like fishing on a shallow bay or close to a rocky point.
Its a matter of safety and not taking a risk.
Hence, when the fishermen stay close to the bay or on the rocks, that would mean the 'turnover' could happen at any point.

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong!

Safety is never mentioned. We cannot assume something is dangerous or safe. We must use the information available to help bridge the gap. What you did is very dangerous, because the gmat writers will take advantage of common-sense knowledge.

The argument says the fish will be in X location or Y location due to temperature. And we will choose one location. Why? Because of the time of year and because the ice hasn’t reversed yet. Do not incorporate outside knowledge and make it more challenging for yourself. Use what is given.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB Kellogg
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Conclusion: In late winter, Anglers should fish for trout at top surface.

Trout is found in cold weather. So author is suggesting that “in LATE WINTER top surface is Colder” and further that temperature distribution is essentially the same as is during WINTER.

Late winters is the time of transition from winter to summer.

=> temperature distribution is same = the transition is yet to take place
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT Focus 1:
635 Q86 V81 DI77
Send PM
In deep temperate lakes, water temperatures vary according to depth. I [#permalink]
Kudos
For anyone who was confused by the terms mentioned in the stimulus:

I didn't know what ''Lake trout''OR eschew the lake trout's summer haunts meant.
Below is one good explanation by ''Powerscore.

Lake trout is a type of fish.

Their "summer haunts" are the places they like to hang out in the summer. A "haunt," when used this way, just means the places you tend to spend your time. And to "eschew" something means to avoid it or reject it. So the advice to eschew their summer haunts means to avoid the places they tend to spend their time during the summer (which would be at the bottoms of the lakes, where the water is colder in the summer) and to instead look for fish in the places they hang out during the winter (near the surface.) The assumption, then, is "in deep temperate lakes while these lakes are partially iced over in late winter," the water is still colder at the top, because the water hasn't yet gone through the "turnover" that happens in late winter (which is when the cold water goes from the top of the lake down to the bottom.)­
GMAT Club Bot
In deep temperate lakes, water temperatures vary according to depth. I [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts