Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [16]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619480 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: In his photographic motion studies, Thomas Eakins used a single negati [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO C

(A) an approach which favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn
(B) an approach that favorably contrasted with his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but that did not earn
(C) an approach that favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn
(D) an approach which favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge's, but did not earn
(E) an approach which favorably contrasted to that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn for

A & C only logically compare approach with the approach.

an approach requires an essential modifier "that" instead of "which".

Correct me if I am wrong.

I have hardly seen any official question been tested on this criteria. Pls enlighten me if same is not true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: In his photographic motion studies, Thomas Eakins used a single negati [#permalink]
Kudos
Wait doesn't D accurately compare X's approach to Y's? I don't see an error with D in this stem. Can someone shed some light?

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
vineethk929 wrote:
Princ wrote:
In his photographic motion studies, Thomas Eakins used a single negative for several exposures, an approach which favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn him as much acclaim in his lifetime, though opinions of his work have shifted dramatically since then.

(A) an approach which favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn
(B) an approach that favorably contrasted with his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but that did not earn
(C) an approach that favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn
(D) an approach which favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge's, but did not earn
(E) an approach which favorably contrasted to that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn for
A VS C ..n all are comparing approach to person...imo C

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

How did you eliminate A ?
Please share your thoughts on A.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Mankodim wrote:
Wait doesn't D accurately compare X's approach to Y's? I don't see an error with D in this stem. Can someone shed some light?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi D can not be correct.
Please see D again. It has redundancy.
contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge's.
End word is in possessive so it can not act as object.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1993 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
In his photographic motion studies, Thomas Eakins used a single negative for several exposures, an approach which favorably contrasted with that of his contemporary Eadweard Muybridge, but did not earn him as much acclaim in his lifetime, though opinions of his work have shifted dramatically since then.

which is an non-essential modifier, so a comma is required before which.
Eliminate A,D,E.
Between B and C, 'approach contrasted with the approach of his contemporary...' Hence C, correctly compares both the approaches.
Answer C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
arvind910619 wrote:
vineethk929 wrote:
Princ wrote:

A VS C ..n all are comparing approach to person...imo C

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

How did you eliminate A ?
Please share your thoughts on A.
which always introduces a non essential modifier set off between comma
( of course exception being in which, from which etc)

Eg: I hate dogs that bark
( this means you hate only those dogs that bark.)

I hate dogs, which bark.
( you hate all dogs in general. One of the quality of these dogs is they bark)

Hope this helps.

Thank you = Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Aside from C, all options compare a person to a method.
C is right
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Princ wrote:

Why E is not correct ? Would anyone explain it elaborately ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
can anyone please explain why " use of which " is wrong in option A?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35499 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
In his photographic motion studies, Thomas Eakins used a single negati [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rashed12 wrote:
Princ wrote:

Why E is not correct ? Would anyone explain it elaborately ?

Rashed12 , there are two glaring errors and one small error.
• WHICH vs. THAT

WHICH is coupled with non-essential information and is always set off by a preceding comma.
If the which-clause comes in the middle of the sentence, the entire clause is set off by commas.

Correct: The debate trophy, which was engraved, got lost. (commas surround the which-clause)

Wrong: The debate trophy which was engraved got lost. (which as a relative pronoun that heads a modifying clause must have commas around its clause)

Correct: The trophy that was engraved got lost.

If the information is essential, the essential information is always introduced with THAT (not which) and is never set off by commas.

British English makes no distinction between which and that.
People who speak, or were trained in, British English should be careful; memorize the fact that which must have commas and that almost never has commas
when the words are used to head relative clauses.

The writers of the GMAT and North American English do make a distinction between which and that.

You can read a post here that discusses the distinction between which and that.
See also dave13 , here, in this post. Scroll down past the first subject until you see WHICH VS. THAT.

• "earn for" him is unidiomatic
Correct: Hard work earned her a promotion.
Wrong: Hard work earned for her a promotion. (Ouch. That hurts my ears.)

Correct: Honorable conduct earned her a glowing reputation.
Wrong: Honorable conduct earned for her a glowing reputation.

The preposition for does not belong with earn in this context.
We can earn X for Y.
We can earn money for a good cause.

But we cannot "earn for."
"Earn for" is not a phrasal verb.
In this case the construction of earn followed by for is correct,
but (1) "that salary" is correctly the direct object of earn, and
(2) the coupling of "earn" with "for" is a complete accident and not a phrasal verb.
Correct: Will you earn that salary for a year or two?
In that case, though, the preposition FOR has to do with the time period, not with the verb, earn.

Earn is a transitive verb that requires a direct object if not immediately following,
then as soon as possible thereafter.

I can earn money.
I can earn trust. I can earn respect.
But I have to earn something. Earn must be followed by a direct object, not the preposition FOR.
I cannot earn FOR something.

• Idiomatic construction of "contrast to"
X can passively stand in contract to Y.
X must actively contrast with.

But X cannot actively contrast to as is the case in option E.
Please, do not spend much time on this question.

SC questions are really hard to write, so I have sympathy for its author.

Still—the question is not official and it's not a very good question.

Hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35499 [0]
Send PM
In his photographic motion studies, Thomas Eakins used a single negati [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jrk23 wrote:

Hi jrk23

Please see the answer I wrote in this post, HERE.

British English does not distinguish between WHICH and THAT.

North American English does distinguish between WHICH and THAT.
So does the GMAT, as of now.

In that post to which I linked you will find analysis and citations to two resources that will help you to understand that
the use of "which" in option A is incorrect.

Hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35499 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dh4035 wrote:
Aside from C, all options compare a person to a method.
C is right

Dh4035 , I do not understand your assertion.

Options A, C, D, and E all use THAT of.

What is the reasoning behind your statement that "all options compare a person to a method"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4656 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
jrk23 wrote:
I don't expect the GMAT to force a test taker into having to take a decision on the basis of just a that/which split, so this question may not be very representative of what the GMAT tests these days.

That said, you should make sure that you know the difference between that and which.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts