Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [11]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [16]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2444 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack on New York’s Wo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
@ guygmat
The title says it is a modifier problem. Can I know whether the problem is a dangling modifier or a misplaced modifier in choice A?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack on New York’s Wo [#permalink]
hey what's d problem with A..is it that too many possesives..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Kudos
@daag-there is no modifier error in this question .
@rajeev-the only reason why A is wrong in the sentence is because it uses a subordinate adjective clause starting with -ing .Whenever we can avoid the '-ing' form and the idea can be conveyed in a better and concise way try to avoid -ing.But check twice before you omit the option with -ing,cause it might be the best among the worst options at times .
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
saikarthikreddy wrote:
@rajeev-the only reason why A is wrong in the sentence is because it uses a subordinate adjective clause starting with -ing .Whenever we can avoid the '-ing' form and the idea can be conveyed in a better and concise way try to avoid -ing.But check twice before you omit the option with -ing,cause it might be the best among the worst options at times .

Buddy, i disagree with u on the usage of verb+ ing..i think this form of modifier is used more often than any other form of modifier( be it relative clause or past participle or adjective). There are numerous examples(even in OG 12 n verbal 2) to prove that verb +ing modifiers are correct rather i haven't come across a single explanation that says the use of Verb + ing modifier is not correct or not preferred..
IMO the mistake in choice A is the phrase New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers . It is possessive with possessive which is making the sentence awkward.
I think the prepositional phrase in D and the Verb+ ing modifier in A are both correct usage, the problem lies in what is following them.
Do correct me if i am wrong.

Originally posted by rajeevrks27 on 30 Jan 2012, 04:06.
Last edited by rajeevrks27 on 30 Jan 2012, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Kudos
A: In Oct. 2001, responding to ABC, President Bush ordered XYZ
D: In Oct. 2001, in response to ABC, President Bush ordered XYZ

In D there are two prepositional phrases separated by comma. Is this construction ok.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush ordered an invasion of Afghanistan in order to remove the Taliban from power, destroy the al-Qaeda terrorist organization, and capture Osama bin Laden.
responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush

A.

B the devastation of the attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers occurred and, responding, President Bush

C because of the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush responded and

D in response to the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush.-----correct

E New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers were devastatingly attacked, and the response was that President Bush
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Kudos
In October 2001, responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush ordered an invasion of Afghanistan in order to remove the Taliban from power, destroy the al-Qaeda terrorist organization, and capture Osama bin Laden.

A responding to the devastating attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers, President Bush - "responding to" makes the sentence in past continuous. this was an event that happened (finished event) in the past.
B the devastation of the attack on New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers occurred and, responding, President Bush - totally bad sentence formation.
C because of the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush responded and - again it makes the sentence mean something else entirely.
D in response to the devastating attack on the Twin Towers, part of New York’s World Trade Center, President Bush - correct use of idiom "in response to".
E New York’s World Trade Center’s Twin Towers were devastatingly attacked, and the response was that President Bush - "and the response", no need to use conjunction 'and' here. too wordy.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [4]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos