Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [5]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [13]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In response to the increasing environmental damage wrought by poachers [#permalink]
Kudos
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
in 4confused between A and E. Please help

ShankSouljaBoi - let me try. Let's understand the flow of the passage.

Para 1:
---------------
Author suggests that Poachers are illegally selling Ivory. This is causing
1) Environmental damages
2) Decrease in population of Elephants (poachers killing elephants)

A ban is introduced that partially addresses these 2 problems, however, core problem still needs to be addressed --> Countries (esp. poorer) do not have sufficient funding to combat poachers.

Just to explain this further -->
Tusks (teeth of an Elephant) are made from material called Ivory. It's very much "a in-demand substance". Due to scarcity of it, poachers kill elephants and sell the tusk/ivory at very huge price (para 1 also calls out for increase in the price). Again, you don't need to know this while solving para. I didn't know, but i could figure out that poachers are illegally trying to sell something at higher price. :-)
---------------

Para 2:
Author further explains that these poorer countries are unable to stop poaching because they don't know origin of country for poaching. and suggests a POTENTIAL solution as well.

Just to explain this further -->
It means:
a) It is possible that elephants are being killed in Country1 and elephants's Tusk/Ivory is being sold in another country2 because it has more demand of Ivory.
b) Question is --> Who should control poaching? Country 1 OR Country 2?
c) Let's imagine that, Country2 is being blamed by international community for illegal trade happening on their land. If Country 2 is poorer and having unstable political environment, then obviously Country2's leaders will start pointing fingers.
d) Country 2 can say that problem is with Country 1 as they are allowing poachers to kill elephants. So ultimately there can be a "blame game".
e) In order to avoid this blame game --> Author suggests a potential solution --> a new DNA identification system.
---------------
Summary: in a nutshell, Para 1 explains a problem while para 2 further expands the root cause of problem and suggests a potential solution.

Let's look at the choices A and E.

A. exposing the weaknesses of the ivory ban:
This is just suggesting gist of para 1. however, we saw that author not only explains a problem but also provides a potential solution. Hence this is incorrect/partial summary of para.

E. detailing a way to overcome a problem that has lessened the effectiveness of the ivory ban
This perfectly aligns with the summary that we deduced. Again, as tarunanandani also explained, Option D is ruled out. There's already explanation provided above.

I hope this clarifies. Do let me know if you need more help.

---
Please give kudos :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In response to the increasing environmental damage wrought by poachers [#permalink]
@tarunanandani- Thank you for providing answers.

for question 4: i selected choice D. You were correct in calling it as a 'tempting one'. I overlooked the sentence from para -->Zoologists hope this new method will pinpoint the exact origin of poached ivory.

the author is hoping hence he or she is definitely NOT advocating.

same is the case with question 3 --> i selected C but later on realized my mistake.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
in 4confused between A and E. Please help
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bumping up for further discussion.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

1. The passage suggests which of the following about the ivory ban?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

This is an inference question. Look for the answer in the beginning of the passage, where the ivory ban is first introduced. The passage states “Although the ban resulted in an initial decrease in the sale and trade of illegal ivory and a concurrent increase in the elephant population, more pressing needs caused most Western nations to withdraw funding for poaching prevention programs. Without significant financial support, poorer countries were unable to effectively combat poachers.” Thus, choice D is best.

Choice A goes too far because the passage states that the ban was successful at first.

Choice B isn’t necessarily true, so it cannot be an inference.

Choice C is not stated or implied; there is no prediction of what Western countries will do.

Choice E goes beyond the scope of the passage—no mention of future outcomes is discussed.

Answer: D.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. The response of the countries with the worst poaching problems to the situation was most analogous to

Difficulty Level: 550

Explanation

This is an apply information question. The beginning of the second paragraph contains the relevant information. According to the author, “Countries used this uncertainty to avoid responsibility for curbing illegal poaching in their territories by attempting to blame other countries for the oversights in enforcement.” Now, find the answer that shows an attempt to shift blame. Only choice A matches.

Answer: A.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
In response to the increasing environmental damage wrought by poachers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

3. The passage suggests which of the following about the DNA-based map created by zoologists?

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

This is an inference question. Read the lines about the DNA-based map in the second half of the final paragraph. It states “First, scientists gathered genetic data from the population of African elephants, an arduous effort that ultimately resulted in a detailed DNA-based map of the distribution of African elephants.” The author uses the word “arduous” to describe the effort, so choice B is a valid inference.

Choice A goes too far because the map allows the researchers to track populations, but not individual elephants.

Choice C is not necessarily true.

Choice D and E might be true but are not supported by information in the passage.

Answer: B.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

4. The passage is chiefly concerned with

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

This is a main idea question. The first part of the passage explains why the ivory ban has become less effective, while the second part shows that there is a potential solution to the problems with the ban. Choice E states this.

Choice A only discusses half of the passage, so it doesn’t go far enough.

The primary point is not to criticize countries, so choice B is incorrect.

Funding issues are not the main purpose, making choice C also incorrect.

Choice D has the wrong tone because the author is simply describing the plan, not “advocating” it.

Answer: E.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts