Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 01:41 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 01:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,   Strengthen,                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [342]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [61]
Given Kudos: 1824
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1792 [17]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [7]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: In Stenland, many workers have been complaining that they cannot [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Jahanzeb3313 wrote:
In Stenland, many workers have been complaining that they cannot survive
on minimum wage, the lowest wage an employer is permitted to pay. The
government is proposing to raise the minimum wage. Many employers who
pay their workers the current minimum wage argue that if it is raised,
unemployment will increase because they will no longer be able to afford
to employ as many workers.

Which of the following, if true in Stenland, most strongly supports the claim
that raising the minimum wage there will not have the effects that the
employers predict?

A) For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of
finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs
as would raising wages.

B) Raising the minimum wage does not also increase the amount
employers have to contribute in employee benefits.

C) When inflation is taken into account, the proposed new minimum
wage is not high as the current one was when it was introduced.

D) Many employees currently being paid wages at the level of the
proposed new minimum wage will demand significant wage
increases.

E) Many employers who pay some workers only the minimum wage
also pay other workers wages that are much higher than the
minimum.

Employers say that they will not be able to afford to employ as many employees as they today if there is an increase in min. wages. In order to strengthen the claim that raising minimum wages will not have have the effects that employers predict, we have to find a statement that says due to some reason employers will not be able to let go of employees even after minimum wages increase.

A) For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of
finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs
as would raising wages.

Option A says it is not in the best interest of employers to let go of employees on minimum wage if the minimum wage increases, as it will be costly to find and retrain employees.

My answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [7]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: In Stenland, many workers have been complaining that they cannot [#permalink]
Kudos
In Stenland, many workers have been complaining that they cannot survive on minimum wage, the lowest wage an employer is permitted to pay. The government is proposing to raise the minimum wage. Many employers who pay their workers the current minimum wage argue that if it is raised, unemployment will increase because they will no longer be able to afford to employ as many workers.

Which of the following, if true in Stenland, most strongly supports the claim that raising the minimum wage there will not have the effects that the employers predict?
Crux of the Question -- Raising the minimum wage will not lead to increase in unemployment.

A) For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs as would raising wages.
The difficulty of finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs as raising the minimum wage so it supports the conclusion that raising the minimum wage there will not have the effects that the employers predict.

B) Raising the minimum wage does not also increase the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits.
As per the argument, Raising the minimum wage --> Increase in Unemployment.
Are we really concerned with what else will simultaneously increase/decrease with the increase of minimum wage?? :?: :?: As per the argument we just know that raising the minimum wage will lead to an increase in unemployment. Raise in Minimum wage itself is causing employers to say that they will no longer be able to afford to employ as many workers. Anything in addition/extra thus, does not really matter.

Even if the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits increases, it worsens the scenario. It acts as an addon to the problem of unemployment which is mentioned in the argument. Analogy, if I cannot afford a 5$ lead pencil, knowing that along with the purchase of a 5$ pencil, I do not need to pay for 2$ lead for after usage, makes the argument stand as it is.

The other case, if the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits does not increase the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits - it means the amount could be same or it decrease. But knowing this information does really matter?? No, Right? Because anyways, the minimum wage is still increased, so the argument stands as it is.

C) When inflation is taken into account, the proposed new minimum wage is not high as the current one was when it was introduced.
Okay.. But so what? Do we really need to take inflation into account? Is the argument concerned about inflation?? Argument is just concerned with the fact that minimum wage would be increased, and whether after considering any other factor makes that cost seem less, that does not really matter because anyways, as a whole, the minimum wage is still increased, so the argument stands as it is.

D) Many employees currently being paid wages at the level of the proposed new minimum wage will demand significant wage increases.
so what? are we concerned with those employees, who are currently being paid wages at the level of the proposed new minimum wage, and their demands.. No, right? So, irrelevant.

ALso, just demanding does not mean that their demands will be fulfilled. So, it adds nothing to the existing stimulus.

E) Many employers who pay some workers only the minimum wage also pay other workers wages that are much higher than the minimum.
Definitely that's true. But we are not concerned with those workers. Our argument is basically concerned with increase in minimum wage. Not with the proportion of wages compared with the minimum paid workers. So, irrelevant.

Options D and E are totally irrelevant and could be quickly eliminated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 263
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
A) For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs as would raising wages.
(C) When inflation is taken into account, the proposed new minimum wage is not high as the current one was when it was introduced.

Dear Team

I was very much lost between A & C, though I chose A as I felt it is stronger than C and also I might not have fully comprehended statement C

May I request if someone can help me understand what C means and how it fits into the argument ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [4]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
proabhinav wrote:
(C) When inflation is taken into account, the proposed new minimum wage is not high as the current one was when it was introduced.

Dear Team

I was very much lost between A & C, though I chose A as I felt it is stronger than C and also I might not have fully comprehended statement C

May I request if someone can help me understand what C means and how it fits into the argument ?

Hi! I'm not an expert (at least until now), but trying to help.

In point C, we only talk about "how much is our minimum wage now -- especially in comparison with the first minimum wage (when it was introduced)"

Does this answer discuss about affordability of this new wage for employers? I don't think so.

The minimum wage can be HIGHER than the first minimum wage, but employers can easily afford it.
The minimum wage also can be significantly LOWER than the first minimum wage, but employers cannot afford it.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
aragonn GMATNinja egmat Vyshak

option a : For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs as would raising wages.

aren't we concerned about positions at a minimum wage? maybe the difficulty mentioned in option a isn't really there for the positions offering minimum wage.

please help me understand this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
why is option "(B) Raising the minimum wage does not also increase the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits" incorrect?

i thought that this would mean that the employers will not have to pay the employee benefits and therefore can increase the wages without any additional cost... kindly let me know what is wrong with this reasoning
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
aragonn GMATNinja egmat Vyshak

option a : For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs as would raising wages.

aren't we concerned about positions at a minimum wage? maybe the difficulty mentioned in option a isn't really there for the positions offering minimum wage.

please help me understand this.

A "living wage" is a wage that covers the standard costs of living. Because workers in Stenland "cannot survive on minimum wage," we can infer that minimum wage jobs do not provide a living wage.

Take another look at (A):
Quote:
(A) For any position with wages below a living wage, the difficulty of finding and retaining employees adds as much to employment costs as would raising wages.

Based on our analysis above, we know that the "position[s] with wages below a living wage" include all minimum wage jobs. So, employers spend as much on finding and retaining these employees as they would spend on paying an increased minimum wage. Because the cost will be the same to employers, (A) "supports the claim that raising the minimum wage there will not have the effects that the employers predict."
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rnn wrote:
why is option "(B) Raising the minimum wage does not also increase the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits" incorrect?

i thought that this would mean that the employers will not have to pay the employee benefits and therefore can increase the wages without any additional cost... kindly let me know what is wrong with this reasoning

Even if increasing minimum wage "does not also increase the amount employers have to contribute in employee benefits," employers will still have to pay each minimum wage worker more per hour than they currently pay -- so, the cost to the employer will go up.

Let's say that minimum wage is currently $10 per hour, and employers do not have to contribute at all to employee benefits. If the minimum wage is raised to $15 per hour and employers still pay nothing toward employee benefits (in accordance with the information in (B)), the overall cost for each employee will still increase due to the increased hourly wage. This is in line with the employers' expectation that they will not be able to pay as many workers. For this reason, (B) is out.

For an explanation of the correct answer, please see this post.

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Why do many in here discard

because of the reason it is out of context?

This is a strengthen / support question and regarding to many books (for example Powerscore) "Information outside the sphere of the stimulus is allowed as correct answer choices"

I was also indecisive between A) and C) but I could not exclude C) for the same reason others excluded it.

To me it makes sense to discard c) but not based on the argument "it is out of the context"
Employers claim that raising the current minimum wage would lead to an increase in unemployment;
If we look at (C) it just tells us that when Inflation is taken into account, the minimum wage is not as high as the current one when it was introduced.

Now what does that tell us? Imho nothing, because we can assume that the Employers are already calculating in real wage terms and argue that a increase would still hurt them.
That would be my reasoning.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
chrtpmdr wrote:
Why do many in here discard

because of the reason it is out of context?

This is a strengthen / support question and regarding to many books (for example Powerscore) "Information outside the sphere of the stimulus is allowed as correct answer choices"

I was also indecisive between A) and C) but I could not exclude C) for the same reason others excluded it.

To me it makes sense to discard c) but not based on the argument "it is out of the context"
Employers claim that raising the current minimum wage would lead to an increase in unemployment;
If we look at (C) it just tells us that when Inflation is taken into account, the minimum wage is not as high as the current one when it was introduced.

Now what does that tell us? Imho nothing, because we can assume that the Employers are already calculating in real wage terms and argue that a increase would still hurt them.
That would be my reasoning.

Your reasoning ("Now what does that tell us? Imho nothing") is sound here.

Many employers have concluded that if the current minimum wage is raised, unemployment will increase because they will no longer be able to afford to employ as many workers.

We eliminate (C) because this new information about the inflation-adjusted figure and historic wage doesn't give us any reason to doubt whether employers will employ fewer workers (and therefore whether unemployment will increase). There's just no connection between these facts that why employers would have to employ fewer workers.

Choice (C) presents no logical challenge to the employer's conclusion, while (A) does.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Experts,
GMATNinja egmat
The the employers stance was that increasing minimum wages will increase unemployment because they will be unable to afford it. So if the wage budget was $50 and the min wage was $5, they could have 10 people on staff. But now the minimum wages hypothetically is raised to $10, they can only have 5 people on staff. Their argument was related to unemployment related to affordability. In this question, we are trying to prove that increasing minimum wages wont lead to unemployment due to affordability i.e. increasing minimum wages wont lead to less people being employed as employers would be able to afford them, contrary to what the employers believe. Now, option A says that if they didn't increase minimum wage they would eventually have to pay the difference to find and retain employees - so you might as well avoid disruption and pay the fees - but in no way is this telling us that unemployment wont increase because the employers argument was that i have $50 only, so I can either afford 10 people at $5 or 5 at $10. So if he has $50 only and there are hidden charges involved if you pay an employee below minimum wage, the employer was making a reasonably sound argument by saying that he wont be able to afford it and hence unemployment will fall. It is more likely that he assumed this hidden cost and therefore made this statement, because the limitation is $50 budget he has. Am I making sense? Where am I going wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64605 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rk0510 wrote:
Hi Experts,
GMATNinja egmat
The the employers stance was that increasing minimum wages will increase unemployment because they will be unable to afford it. So if the wage budget was $50 and the min wage was $5, they could have 10 people on staff. But now the minimum wages hypothetically is raised to $10, they can only have 5 people on staff. Their argument was related to unemployment related to affordability. In this question, we are trying to prove that increasing minimum wages wont lead to unemployment due to affordability i.e. increasing minimum wages wont lead to less people being employed as employers would be able to afford them, contrary to what the employers believe. Now, option A says that if they didn't increase minimum wage they would eventually have to pay the difference to find and retain employees - so you might as well avoid disruption and pay the fees - but in no way is this telling us that unemployment wont increase because the employers argument was that i have $50 only, so I can either afford 10 people at $5 or 5 at $10. So if he has $50 only and there are hidden charges involved if you pay an employee below minimum wage, the employer was making a reasonably sound argument by saying that he wont be able to afford it and hence unemployment will fall. It is more likely that he assumed this hidden cost and therefore made this statement, because the limitation is $50 budget he has. Am I making sense? Where am I going wrong?

Quote:
In this question, we are trying to prove that increasing minimum wages wont lead to unemployment due to affordability.

Sorry, this isn't quite true. The question doesn't ask us to PROVE anything. Here's the question as it's worded:

Quote:
Which of the following, if true in Stenland, most strongly supports the claim that raising the minimum wage there will not have the effects that the employers predict?

We are asked which answer choices most strongly supports a specific claim: That raising the minimum wage will not cause unemployment to increase.

Quote:
the employers argument was that i have $50 only, so I can either afford 10 people at $5 or 5 at $10

Sorry, this isn't quite true, either. According to the passage, employers who pay their workers the current minimum wage argue that if it is raised, they will no longer be able to afford to employ as many workers. That statement gives us absolutely no information on non-wage costs of being an employer. It doesn't tell us anything about how employers distribute their overall cashflow, either.

Your re-phrasing of the question and the way you're trying to spell out the employer's position using your own numbers have taken you away from what the question asks and what the passage says. And when you drift away from the intended question and the given information, you'll find it very hard to evaluate answer choices effectively.

Precise reading will save you an immense amount of effort as you evaluate answer choices. Much more on that in our beginner's guide to CR.

I hope this helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66913 [5]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos