GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 05:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 04:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:59) correct 42% (02:22) wrong based on 221 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold War allies became more difficult. Leaders of previously allied nations were required to conduct tactful economic negotiations in order not to arouse tensions that had previously been overlooked.

The situation described above conforms most closely to which one of the following propositions?

(A) International economic competition is a greater cause of tension than is international military competition

(B) Bonds between allies are stronger when they derive from fear of a common enemy than when they derive from common economic goals

(C) When there is a military commitment between countries, fundamental agreement between them on economic matters is more easily reached

(D) Economic matters are considered unimportant during periods of actual or threatened war

(E) A common enemy contributes to a strengthened bond between nations, enabling them to ignore economic tensions that would otherwise be problematic

Source: LSAT

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
LBS Moderator
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 05:09
nightblade354 wrote:
In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold War allies became more difficult. Leaders of previously allied nations were required to conduct tactful economic negotiations in order not to arouse tensions that had previously been overlooked.

The situation described above conforms most closely to which one of the following propositions?

(E) A common enemy contributes to a strengthened bond between nations, enabling them to ignore economic tensions that would otherwise be problematic

Kudos will be given for all correct solutions posted before the OA!

I would consider E to be the correct solution following below rational:

The statement describes that the economic tensions were overlooked, thus they had already existed but were of comparably minor importance due to the greater military threats.
Now that those military threats are no longer of importance the economic topics gain more attention and thus former allies in the military field might become opponents on the "economic battlefield".
S
Re: In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 05:24
nightblade354 wrote:

(A) International economic competition is a greater cause of tension than is international military competition
(B) Bonds between allies are stronger when they derive from fear of a common enemy than when they derive from common economic goals
(C) When there is a military commitment between countries, fundamental agreement between them on economic matters is more easily reached
(D) Economic matters are considered unimportant during periods of actual or threatened war

This is a tough one, IMO - E

Here is the analysis

(A) International economic competition is a greater cause of tension than is international military competition - Can't say about greater cause of tension
(B) Bonds between allies are stronger when they derive from fear of a common enemy than when they derive from common economic goals - I kept it at 1st go
(C) When there is a military commitment between countries, fundamental agreement between them on economic matters is more easily reached - Opposite of the scenario
(D) Economic matters are considered unimportant during periods of actual or threatened war - Can't say Economic matters are unimportant during war
(E) A common enemy contributes to a strengthened bond between nations, enabling them to ignore economic tensions that would otherwise be problematic - I kept it at 1st go

Now between B and E,
In option B, not sure of common economic goals, whereas E talks about great bonding and ignoring economic tension during war times and this economic tension may appear after that.
Thus E appears to be more apt than B.
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 06:16
nightblade354 wrote:

i will go for E

here is my reasoning
:-)

it talks about econimic competition, but the main topic is about international relations and econmic tensions hence A is out

we dont talk about fear of common enemy (we are concerned about tensions) hence B is out

is it mentioned somewhere millitary commotment ? its not about reachng agreement, but about conductiong tactful negotiations hence C is out

this option contradcts the argument. Economic matters are considered important cause conducted negotions to avoid previous mistakes hence D option is out

this one says that Cold War allies conduct negotiations to ignore economic tensions! exactly! hence i i vote for E :) YAY!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 21:59
Why B is not answer. Please explain?
Please tell the meaning of the question. Is this assumption question or strengthen question?
Confuse
LBS Moderator
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 02:19
viveknegi wrote:
Why B is not answer. Please explain?
Please tell the meaning of the question. Is this assumption question or strengthen question?
Confuse

I would say this as an assumption question, as you are asked to compare various statements to the original paragraph and identify the one which matches best concerning the meaning.

In my take on this question I eliminated choice B for two different reasons:

1. It talks about the fear of a common enemy, although this is something which might be true for cold war allies, it is not stated in the original passage itself.
2. The sentence mentions "common" economic goals, however we are not told that the economic goals of the fomer cold war allies are necessarily common.

Hope this helps clarify.

Best regards,
Chris
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 05:03
Great job everyone! A very high percentage correct, and some excellent responses! Given the turnout, I do not believe an OE is needed. Indeed, the true difficulty questions is derived from one's ability to differentiate between (B), (D), and (E).

For those wondering why not (D), this is not the answer because we do not know the circumstances of the war. It is out of scope and is never discussed. Further, the question stem says "became more difficult", so the possibility of there being difficulty between nations, economically speaking, is a possibility. I for one had to think for a moment about (D), but in the end (E) is your clear winner!

My CR Guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mod-nightblade-s-quick-guide-to-proficiency-cr-295316.html

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-moderators-directory-253455.html

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 16:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2019, 16:32

In the aftermath of the Cold War, international relations between Cold

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics