Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for the MBA in [#permalink]
KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
Identify the Question Type:

The phrase “must be true” in the question stem helps identify this as an Inference question. However, this question also provides an additional fact which must be considered in conjunction with the statements in the stimulus: a student in the Business program took a seminar on Microeconomics, but did not take a seminar on Applied Economics.

Untangle the Stimulus:

Start by taking inventory of the facts provided. As described in the passage, International Business candidates who entered the Business program after 1990 were required to take a Microeconomics seminar. Those who entered after 1994 had to take an Applied Economics seminar.

Predict the Answer:

To predict, use the additional information from the question stem: there's a student who took the Microeconomics seminar but not the Applied Economics seminar. The Applied Economics seminar was required for International Business students entering the program after 1994. Therefore, the student in question is either not an International Business student, or did not enter the program after 1994. As for the Microeconomics seminar, that may have become a requirement after 1990, but it still could have been taken any other time. The correct answer must be true based on these deductions.

Evaluate the Choices:

(C) must be true, and is thus correct. If the student was an International Business candidate, that student couldn't enter after 1994 or else Applied Economics would have been required. By not taking Applied Economics, the student must have entered before 1995 (i.e., 1994 or earlier).

Neither (A) nor (B) have to be true. The requirement of Applied Economics is only mentioned for International Business candidates. If the student is not an International Business candidate, no requirements are mentioned, so the student could have entered the Business program in any year without taking Applied Economics.

(D) does not have to be true. The requirement for Applied Economics started after 1994. The student still could have entered any time from 1991 to 1994, as well as the years before that.

(E) does not have to be true. The Microeconomics seminar became a requirement after 1990, but the student could still have entered the program before that and taken the Microeconomics seminar anyway -- even if it wasn't required.

TAKEAWAY: Just because something is not required doesn't mean it can't be done. After all, you're not required to pair peanut butter with jelly, but it sure does taste good to do it anyway!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
In the Business program at a university, all candidates for the MBA in [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
Some of the posts above seem not to capture the logic of the question. The only relevant fact is this: if someone joined the International Business program after 1994, they took Applied Economics. So (taking the contrapositive) if someone didn't take Applied Economics, they didn't join the International Business program after 1994. So the answer is C (though C needs to say 'prior to 1995', and not 'prior to 1994' to be perfectly correct).

All of the detail about Microeconomics is simply irrelevant. It is certainly possible that some International Business students took Microeconomics prior to 1990, which is why E is wrong.

Can you explain that it's also possible that a student took applied economics prior to 1995 considering the same logic you used(after 1994, if all students took app. econ. then it's possible that one of the students took applied economy prior to 1995). In this case, those answers would be equally true, isn't it?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In the Business program at a university, all candidates for the MBA in [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts