Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [27]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [17]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Re: belly of the circle [#permalink]
Kudos
Got it wrong because didn't read the question correctly
I thought I need to find the 4th point that would lie on the circle
Hence my answer was D (1,-2) :(
But the the center of the circle will lie on (1,1)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gettinit wrote:
In the coordinate plane, the points F (-2,1), G (1,4),
and H (4,1) lie on a circle with center P. What are the
coordinates of point P ?
(A) (0,0)
(B) (1,1)
(C) (1,2)
(D) (1,-2)
(E) (2.5, (-2.5)

Remember that center of the circle is equidistant from any point ont he circle. This distance is of course the radius of the circle.
The fastest method here is to use the options to see which point is equidistant from F (-2,1), G (1,4) and H (4,1).
Formula for distance between two points is given by \(\sqrt{(x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2}\)

I see that (0, 0) will not be equidistant from the given 3 points.
But distance of (1, 1) from (-2, 1) is \(\sqrt{(-2 - 1)^2 + (1 - 1)^2}\) = 3
Distance of (1, 1) from (1, 4) is \(\sqrt{(1 - 1)^2 + (1 - 4)^2}\) = 3
Distance of (1, 1) from (4, 1) is \(\sqrt{(4 - 1)^2 + (1 - 1)^2}\) = 3

The co-ordinates of the center of the circle, P, must be (1, 1).

(What I actually did was plotted the points on the xy axis and then saw that (1, 1) will be equidistant from all three points because (-2, 1) lies directly 3 steps to its left, (1, 4) lies directly 3 steps above it and (4, 1) lies directly 3 steps to its right.

Thanks Karishma I also drew it out, and solved that way. But knowing the distance forumla is key. Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Send PM
amneetpadda wrote:
Got it wrong because didn't read the question correctly
I thought I need to find the 4th point that would lie on the circle
Hence my answer was D (1,-2) :(
But the the center of the circle will lie on (1,1)

Did you find the alternate point using the distance formula as well? thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q47 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
a very calculation oriented question....

Is there a way of choosing the option to first check, or we should take options in sequential order only...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Plug and chug, guys. The answer options contain many small integers that one can easily manipulate in calculations.

Alternatively, one can solve it algebraically:

Using formula (finding the distance between two points) where x and y are the coordinates of center P. Left side of equation finds the distance between F and P, and right side finds that between G and P. Since both distance are equal (ie. they are both radii), we can equate them thus:

(x- -2)^2 + (y-1)^2 = (x-1)^2 + (y-1)^2

-----> x+y=2 Only option B has x and y that satisfy this resultant equation.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '15
GPA: 2.92
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
gettinit wrote:
In the coordinate plane, the points F (-2,1), G (1,4),
and H (4,1) lie on a circle with center P. What are the
coordinates of point P ?
(A) (0,0)
(B) (1,1)
(C) (1,2)
(D) (1,-2)
(E) (2.5, (-2.5)

Remember that center of the circle is equidistant from any point ont he circle. This distance is of course the radius of the circle.
The fastest method here is to use the options to see which point is equidistant from F (-2,1), G (1,4) and H (4,1).
Formula for distance between two points is given by \(\sqrt{(x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2}\)

I see that (0, 0) will not be equidistant from the given 3 points.
But distance of (1, 1) from (-2, 1) is \(\sqrt{(-2 - 1)^2 + (1 - 1)^2}\) = 3
Distance of (1, 1) from (1, 4) is \(\sqrt{(1 - 1)^2 + (1 - 4)^2}\) = 3
Distance of (1, 1) from (4, 1) is \(\sqrt{(4 - 1)^2 + (1 - 1)^2}\) = 3

The co-ordinates of the center of the circle, P, must be (1, 1).

(What I actually did was plotted the points on the xy axis and then saw that (1, 1) will be equidistant from all three points because (-2, 1) lies directly 3 steps to its left, (1, 4) lies directly 3 steps above it and (4, 1) lies directly 3 steps to its right.

Can a solution be figured without plotting the points?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
navigator123 wrote:
Can a solution be figured without plotting the points?

Pure algebraic solution: (which I don't recommend but since you asked...)

Let the center be (x, y). Distance of each of the three points from the center will be the same.

\(\sqrt{(-2 - x)^2 + (1 - y)^2} = \sqrt{(1 - x)^2 + (4 - y)^2}\)
4x + 4 + 1 - 2y = 1 - 2x + 16 - 8y
6x + 6y - 12 = 0
x + y - 2 = 0 .......(I)

\(\sqrt{(4 - x)^2 + (1 - y)^2} = \sqrt{(1 - x)^2 + (4 - y)^2}\)
16 - 8x + 1 - 2y = 1 - 2x + 16 - 8y
6x - 6y = 0
x - y = 0 ........(II)

Solving (I) and (II)
x = 1, y = 1
Center is (1, 1)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: In the coordinate plane, the points F (-2,1), G (1,4), and H [#permalink]
Bookmarks
gettinit wrote:
In the coordinate plane, the points F (-2,1), G (1,4), and H (4,1) lie on a circle with center P. What are the coordinates of point P ?

A. (0,0)
B. (1,1)
C. (1,2)
D. (1,-2)
E. (2.5, -2.5)

FH is parallel to the X-axis (they both have the same y coordinate). Let's denote by M the middle point of the line segment FH. Then M has coordinates (1, 1) = ((-2+4)/2 =1, 1).
Because G has its x coordinate 1, the same as that of M, it means that GM is perpendicular to FH (being parallel to the Y-axis) . It follows that the triangle FGH is isosceles, and because FM = MH = GM = 3, it is a right isosceles triangle. Therefore, FH is the diameter of the circumscribed circle, so in fact M is P.

Another approach would be to prove that FG is perpendicular to GH (using the slopes). It is quite straightforward to compute them, you will get 1 and -1.
Then, immediately, it follows that the triangle is a right triangle, so then P is the middle of FH.

Answer B

Note: on the GMAT, you will never be asked to find the center of the circle circumscribed to a non-special triangle. In the above type of questions, look for the right or maybe equilateral triangle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The points (-2,1) and (4,1) form the diameter of the circle. So the center lies somewhere between these two points. Since y coordinate does not change we need to see where the X co-ordinate falls. It becomes clear that 1 is the x co-ordinate. So the point is (1,1).

@veritasKarishma- Do you think this approach will work always??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajathpanta wrote:
The points (-2,1) and (4,1) form the diameter of the circle. So the center lies somewhere between these two points. Since y coordinate does not change we need to see where the X co-ordinate falls. It becomes clear that 1 is the x co-ordinate. So the point is (1,1).

We know that the three points lie on the same circle but we don't know that (-2,1) and (4,1) form the diameter of the circle. The given 3 points could be any 3 points on the circle. So no, given some different values, this approach may not work.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
rajathpanta wrote:

We know that the three points lie on the same circle but we don't know that (-2,1) and (4,1) form the diameter of the circle. The given 3 points could be any 3 points on the circle. So no, given some different values, this approach may not work.

In our case we do know that (-2,1) and (4,1) form the diameter of the circumscribed circle, because FG is perpendicular to GH (we can check by computing the slopes of the lines FG and GH, see my previous post). Two points uniquely determine a diameter, but of course, it depends on the third point whether it is on that specific circle.
A right triangle is inscribed in a circle having its hypotenuse as diameter (inscribed angle of 90 degree is half of the central angle of 180 degree).

What I meant in my previous post was that GMAT will not ask for any non-special triangle to find its circumscribed circle's center. It's no point testing distance computations, besides knowing of course the property of the center. For a right triangle, one has to know about testing perpendicularity using slopes, one has to know that a right angle is inscribed in a half-circle, so the hypotenuse is the diameter...many things to test beside just distance calculation. Similarly, for an equilateral triangle.

Regarding areas as well, I cannot remember GMAT asking for the area of some non-special triangle. Either one can compute the area by adding/subtracting some areas of some other known geometrical shapes or the triangle is special - right, isosceles, equilateral (well, except the easy case when we have a base and the corresponding height explicitly given). GMAT is not testing advanced geometry formulas for areas like Heron's formula, not even 0.5absinC.

That's why I suggest always first test what type of triangle we have.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 01-15-2014
GPA: 2.62
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM