It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 544 [1], given: 1474

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (02:15) correct 28% (02:19) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than the row directly to its left. If there are nine rows in all and a total of 504 tiles in the floor, how many tiles does the leftmost row contain?

A. 52
B. 56
C. 60
D. 64
E. 68
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDO me plenty

Kudos [?]: 544 [1], given: 1474

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Re: In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
shasadou wrote:
In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than the row directly to its left. If there are nine rows in all and a total of 504 tiles in the floor, how many tiles does the leftmost row contain?

A. 52
B. 56
C. 60
D. 64
E. 68

Add all the tiles From left row to right row : consider x tiles in left most row.
x+(x-2)+(x-4)..........+(x-16) = 504
X=64

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3395 [3], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2015, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi shasadou,

This question can be solved in a variety of ways: with algebra, by TESTing THE ANSWERS and by using a great Number Property shortcut involving consecutive integers.

We're given a few facts to work with:
1) There are 9 rows of tiles.
2) When going from 'left to right', each row contains TWO FEWER tiles than the one next to it.
3) There are a total of 504 tiles

We're asked how many tiles the left-most most row holds (meaning the one with the MOST tiles).

To start, 504 is divisible by 9, so we can figure out the AVERAGE number of tiles per row. That is 504/9 = 56. Since we're dealing with a set of 9 consecutive integers that differ by 2 each, we know that the '5th row' will have 56 tiles (the average). Then we just have to 'add 2s' until we get to the first row...

56 +2 +2 +2 +2 = 64.

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3395 [3], given: 172

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 10

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2015, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
as given , each row to the right = subtract 2 additional tiles.
also the number of rows = 9

therefore total no of tiles to be subtracted =2+4+6+8+10+12+14+16=72
now , total tiles given =504

since units digit is different in each of the choice

9*(option choice) - 504 should give us 72 (or simply 2) in the units digit

the only option that gives that is 64
:-D

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 423

Schools: Simon '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2016, 12:14
shasadou wrote:

A. 52
B. 56
C. 60
D. 64
E. 68

"each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than row directly to its left"
I actually don't understand the question and I really have trouble getting what was going on. Can anyone please help draw a picture of how the row are laying out in the question and help explain it to me?
thank you so much!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3395 [1], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi ahuan077,

The use of the word "row" in this question is a bit strange, since rows go from 'left-to-right' and the 2nd row would be beneath the 1st row. As such, it would probably be easier if you think of this question in terms of "columns" - we start with the 1st column, then the 2nd column, then the 3rd column, etc.

We're told that each "column" has 2 fewer tiles than the one to its immediate left, so here's a simple example of what the columns could be if there was no other information to work with:

1st column = 10 tiles
2nd column = 8 tiles
3rd column = 6 tiles
4th column = 4 tiles
5th column = 2 tiles
6th column = 0 tiles

We're clearly dealing with LOTS more tiles though (504 tiles) and only 9 columns, but this IS a constant sequence of values, so there are a number of patterns that we can use to our advantage (my original post - a few posts up) explains them.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3395 [1], given: 172

Intern
Intern

Schools: Simon '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 14:24
Hi, Rich:

Thank you so much for your kind explanation, I really appreciate it.

Now I know what the question was talking about. Previously I understood as there are two separate columns to start with, one one the right side of the first row and one on the left side of the first row, and they each extend to nine rows(columns). That's why no matter how hard I tried, I simply could not come up with a sensible solution.

Many, many thanks!

Audrey

Posted from my mobile device

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 09:46
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Re: In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 09:46

In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap