Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 04:36 It is currently 07 May 2024, 04:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2729 [22]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [12]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
as given , each row to the right = subtract 2 additional tiles.
also the number of rows = 9

therefore total no of tiles to be subtracted =2+4+6+8+10+12+14+16=72
now , total tiles given =504

since units digit is different in each of the choice

9*(option choice) - 504 should give us 72 (or simply 2) in the units digit

the only option that gives that is 64
:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 423
Schools: Simon '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]
shasadou wrote:
In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than the row directly to its left. If there are nine rows in all and a total of 504 tiles in the floor, how many tiles does the leftmost row contain?

A. 52
B. 56
C. 60
D. 64
E. 68

"each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than row directly to its left"
I actually don't understand the question and I really have trouble getting what was going on. Can anyone please help draw a picture of how the row are laying out in the question and help explain it to me?
thank you so much!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [3]
Send PM
Re: In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ahuan077,

The use of the word "row" in this question is a bit strange, since rows go from 'left-to-right' and the 2nd row would be beneath the 1st row. As such, it would probably be easier if you think of this question in terms of "columns" - we start with the 1st column, then the 2nd column, then the 3rd column, etc.

We're told that each "column" has 2 fewer tiles than the one to its immediate left, so here's a simple example of what the columns could be if there was no other information to work with:

1st column = 10 tiles
2nd column = 8 tiles
3rd column = 6 tiles
4th column = 4 tiles
5th column = 2 tiles
6th column = 0 tiles

We're clearly dealing with LOTS more tiles though (504 tiles) and only 9 columns, but this IS a constant sequence of values, so there are a number of patterns that we can use to our advantage (my original post - a few posts up) explains them.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 423
Schools: Simon '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi, Rich:

Thank you so much for your kind explanation, I really appreciate it.

Now I know what the question was talking about. Previously I understood as there are two separate columns to start with, one one the right side of the first row and one on the left side of the first row, and they each extend to nine rows(columns). That's why no matter how hard I tried, I simply could not come up with a sensible solution.

Many, many thanks!

Audrey

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [3]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Kudos
It's basically a decreasing AP series. (The use of the word row is really odd and confusing)

\(\frac{9}{2} * [2a + (9-1) * -2] = 504\)
a - 8 = 56
a = 64
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
can anyone paraphrase this question using simple English ??? i have no clue what this question is about

thanks
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3671
Send PM
In the floor of a particular kitchen owned by an abstract artist, each [#permalink]
I find this a very confusing and irritating question. Can someone please visualize the floor with a picture?

How can you have right and left of 9 rows?

each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than the row directly to its left

Below i have 9 rows, but i cannot visualize right and left of the rows. Very confusing language!!!

1 ______________
2 ______________
3 ______________
4 ______________
5 ______________
6 ______________
7 ______________
8 ______________
9 ______________

Shouldnot the question be that each row contains 2 fewer than the one below it, instead of the confusing language of left to it?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rebaz wrote:
I find this a very confusing and irritating question. Can someone please visualize the floor with a picture?

How can you have right and left of 9 rows?

each row of tiles to the right of the first row contains two fewer tiles than the row directly to its left

Below i have 9 rows, but i cannot visualize right and left of the rows. Very confusing language!!!

1 ______________
2 ______________
3 ______________
4 ______________
5 ______________
6 ______________
7 ______________
8 ______________
9 ______________

Shouldnot the question be that each row contains 2 fewer than the one below it, instead of the confusing language of left to it?

Hi ahuan077,

The use of the word "row" in this question is a bit strange, since we're told that rows go from 'left-to-right' and normally we think of rows as going from 'top-to-bottom.' As such, it would probably be easier if you think of this question in terms of "columns" - we start with the 1st column, then the 2nd column, then the 3rd column, etc. going from left-to-right.

We're told that each "column" has 2 fewer tiles than the one to its immediate left, so here's a simple example of what the columns could be if there was no other information to work with:

1st column = 10 tiles
2nd column = 8 tiles
3rd column = 6 tiles
4th column = 4 tiles
5th column = 2 tiles
6th column = 0 tiles

We're clearly dealing with LOTS more tiles though (504 tiles) and only 9 columns, but this IS a constant sequence of values, so there are a number of patterns that we can use to our advantage (my original post - a few posts up) explains them.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 3671
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for your clear explanation!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93072 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts