Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 409 [1]
Given Kudos: 1013
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 409 [0]
Given Kudos: 1013
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GPA: 3.98
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
In x-y co-ordinate plane, a line l passes through a point (4, p). [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ChandlerBong wrote:
In the x-y coordinate plane, a line l passes through a point (4, p). What is the slope of l?

(1) The y-intercept of line l is equal to -1.

(2) Point (p + 5, -2) lies on the line l.

The stem gives us point (4,p) and asks the slope. We know that (4,p) will be somewhere on the vertical line x=4.

(1) Gives us the point (0,-1). We could pick any one of infinite points along the line x=4 to satisfy (4,p) and each of them would result in a different slope. So, does statement (1) alone give us enough information to determine the slope? No. BCE.

(2) Gives us the point (p+5,-2). We know that (p+5,-2) will be somewhere on the horizontal line y=-2. We could pick any point on x=4 to satisfy the stem and any point on y=-2 to satisfy statement (2). There are infinite combinations and infinite possible slopes. So, does statement (2) alone give us enough information to determine the slope? No. CE.

(1&2) We now need to find a line that contains all of (0,-1), (4,p), and (p+5,-2). We know that (4,p) resides on x=4 and (p+5,-2) resides on y=-2 and we also know that (0,-1) doesn't reside on either of those lines, so the only way for all three points to lie on the same line is for (4,p) and (p+5,-2) to be the point where x=4 and y=-2 intersect, which is at (4,-2). We now know that line l passes through both (0,-1) and (4,-2). Do both statements together give us enough information to answer the question? Yes. C.

Answer choice C.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64984 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: In x-y co-ordinate plane, a line l passes through a point (4, p). [#permalink]
Kudos