Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Why is this simple inequality not giving stable answers? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmat800live wrote:
Hi all! Thanks for your help in advance. This basic question is driving me crazy! Imagine that I have two inequalities,let's call them A and B.

A is (2 < x)
B is (y + 3< x).

My understanding is that if I merge these two inequalities, I am going to get a new inequality C that will yield valid solutions for itself and also the previous two inequalities. My understanding is that to merge A and B, I can only add them up when the signs face the same direction. I did that and got a new inequality C which is

C is (y + 5 < 2x).

Now, if x is 2.5 (which is greater than 2 hence meets inequality A), then substituting 2.5 for x on C gives me y<0 HOWEVER substituting in B gives me y<-0.5. Why? Shouldn't both give me the same?

Thanks a lot.

If you add together two inequalities that are both true, and the signs are pointing the same way, you'll get a third inequality that's also true.

For example, if x < 10, and y < 3, you can be completely certain that x + y < 13.

The problem you're running into is that it doesn't go the other way. If x + y < 13, that doesn't mean that x < 10 and y < 3. (You can see this by testing numbers, just like you did - x could be 11 and y could be 1, in which case the first of those inequalities is false!)

This is what you're doing in your example, because you're starting with the 'new' inequality you got after doing the addition, and then trying to apply the results you get from it to the 'old' inequalities you added together. That doesn't necessarily work.

In short:

- Adding two correct inequalities together will give you a new, correct inequality
- However, 'splitting up' one correct inequality won't always give you two correct inequalities
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Why is this simple inequality not giving stable answers? [#permalink]
Thank you so much Akela, EMPOWERgmatRichC and ccooley for looking into this! This has opened some sort of pandora's box :D! I realize that my understanding of some basic concepts is not strong as I thought but I am extremely happy I finally got it! Makes total sense what you guys have said and it has made me think a lot! Final summary is that when I say:

A: 2 < x
B: y + 3 < x

And I add them up to get C: y + 5 < 2x. Then the statement that is true is:

If you give me values of x and y that satisfy A AND B, I can assure you, that they will also meet C

That's it :). There will then be values that meet for instance C and B, but not A etc! But those shouldn't distract us from the true valid statement above. Gosh... it took me time to get here, but glad it happened. Thanks guys and thank @willteiss for being part of this small discovery :D!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
    If you give me values of x and y that satisfy A AND B, I can assure you, that they will also meet C

Yes, this is the right conclusion you drawn. And you will see it used in making of so many DS questions.

When timer is running we tend to forget CHECKING the value of a variable, by putting it into the original inequalities, whether it is VALID.
GMAT Club Bot