Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Haas '17 (S)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3120 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Is B-school really a 2-year break? [#permalink]
This is a fun topic, because I feel like what most grads won't say that they view bschool as a two year party (but rather as an investment to learn biz skills/network/prepare for future careers), a lot of them really think that a primary benefit is a 2-year party. Personally, having worked in banking for hte last 3 years and experiencing 100-work weeks, I *definitely* view bschool as a way to chill. Screw everyone else who says we're being stupid for wasting hundreds of thousands as a giant 2-year break from work; unless you've gone through the hours and crap we have endured, keep that thought to yourself :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
From what I've seen and heard from current students, b-school is really what you make it to be.. If you want to make it a 2 year break, it could well be the same... But if that is the case you would be throwing $150K + whatever is your opportunity cost down the drain...

Can anyone confirm this? I find this difficult to believe unless this estimate includes job searching and networking events.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
bryk wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
From what I've seen and heard from current students, b-school is really what you make it to be.. If you want to make it a 2 year break, it could well be the same... But if that is the case you would be throwing $150K + whatever is your opportunity cost down the drain...

Can anyone confirm this? I find this difficult to believe unless this estimate includes job searching and networking events.

It's more than that.

Tuition is roughly $100K for top schools these days.
Living costs will be $65 - 90K for the 22 months (in the US or Europe, you're likely looking at around $3-4K per month in expenses when you factor in rent, utilities, transport, food, dining, social, etc). Rent alone will be $1-2K depending on location and roommate situations. I'm sure some of you guys will try and find ways to scrape by on much less, but most of you won't want to live like college students (and there's a lot of pressure to not live that way).

And when you add in travel, job search costs, electronics (new laptop), vacations, etc. factor in another $10-20K.

What I advise clients is to count on spending $200K. Summer internship income won't really put much of a dent because it's only 2-3 months of after-tax income (yes you'll be in a low tax bracket because your annual income will be low, but still you're paying double rent, unless you can sublet your place in the summer plus you've got living expenses to cover anyhow).

$200K.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Once you have your full time job offer, and know where your career is headed in the near future, it becomes a break. Everything before that is hell: from studying for your core course exams, networking, and interviewing. So at best, it's a one year break. :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
Send PM
It is / will be exactly what you make of it (like most things in life).

For the consultants and sponsored people (who had a job waiting for them), INSEAD was often referred to as the world's most expensive vacation. And it was. INSEADers travel, party, and socialize like no other business school.

For those who were very serious about getting a job, jumping industries, etc, INSEAD was no joke, and they worked their asses off.

Personally, I worked very hard, but it was a blast. I've never traveled so much in my life, or had so much fun. But it's serious work. I would say classwork and related activities were about 60+ hours a week, social another 30 or so hours.. so, yeah, pretty intensive. But I was in a 10 month program. I have heard from people who exchanged to go over to Wharton or Kellogg that they have nothing but time... class 2-3 days a week, and the rest of the time who knows what they do with their time. INSEADers who exchanged to 2 year programs found the pace very slow, and often traveled throughout the US mid-week to keep busy..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I think many people confuse the word "break" with not being busy. You are very busy in business school and the days are quite full (particularly in the first year), but it's nice because you have a lot of flexibility with what things you choose to be busy with. So, you decide which clubs to join, you decide what social activities to attend, and you decide how much time to spend on coursework and which courses to take. Academic coursework is somewhat de-emphasized relative to focusing on the activities and involvements that will bring the most value to your career. And of course, a big part of business school is building your network and meeting classmates, so there are plenty of opportunities to be social, travel, and party. So, the notion of a "break" comes from the fact that most schools give you the flexibility and time to manage your own schedule and decide how involved you want to be, so most of your time is spent on things you would want to be doing anyways.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
To answer you question in short, No.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I do consulting and my hours are 50-60 plus travel. I really hope that I'm not signing up for another 2 year sprint of working my ass off 60 hours a week :wink: . Thanks![/quote]

If you are looking for a break, better take a sabbatical. MBA definitely isn't the way to go. In some schools you might get along as a free rider but if you want to get something out of your MBA and go to a decent school, expect to put a lot of hours into it. The only break was the summer internship where I worked in FMCG.
GMAT Club Bot