Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2501 [3]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [1]
Given Kudos: 752
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and [#permalink]
Kudos
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

Hi amanvermagmat

In the question, its not mentioned that a,b,c >0 or not. Hence, E. Not sure if I am missing anything.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2501 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and [#permalink]
rahul16singh28 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

Hi amanvermagmat

In the question, its not mentioned that a,b,c >0 or not. Hence, E. Not sure if I am missing anything.

Hello Rahul

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now edited the question to mention that a, b, c are all positive numbers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
rahul16singh28 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

Hi amanvermagmat

Hello Rahul

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now edited the question to mention that a, b, c are all positive numbers.

Thanks amanvermagmat

As a,b,c > 0, by combining the two (i.e. by subtracting the two equations) we get b < 0. But as per question b > 0. I see a contradiction here, can you help me to point out the flaw or the way forward. As I understand, the statements shouldn't contradict the question statement.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2501 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
As a,b,c > 0, by combining the two (i.e. by subtracting the two equations) we get b < 0. But as per question b > 0. I see a contradiction here, can you help me to point out the flaw or the way forward. As I understand, the statements shouldn't contradict the question statement.[/quote]

Hello

As per my understanding, we cannot subtract inequalities which are in the same direction. We can only add them.
So on adding the two inequations, we get a+b+a-b < c+c OR 2a < 2c OR a < c
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 443 [0]
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
As a,b,c > 0, by combining the two (i.e. by subtracting the two equations) we get b < 0. But as per question b > 0. I see a contradiction here, can you help me to point out the flaw or the way forward. As I understand, the statements shouldn't contradict the question statement.

Hello

As per my understanding, we cannot subtract inequalities which are in the same direction. We can only add them.
So on adding the two inequations, we get a+b+a-b < c+c OR 2a < 2c OR a < c[/quote]

Thanks amanvermagmat. The answer should be A.

Statement I: As per property of triangle, sum of two sides must be greater than third side. So, not possible.

Statement II: Let \((a,b,c) = (0.5,1,0.5)\) --> The Traingle cannot be formed as it violates property of Triangle.
Let \((a,b,c) = (2,1,4)\) --> The traingle can be formed as its in accordance with Property of Triangle.

Hence, A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
IMO A.

Statement 1: It is clear . C>a+b. Not possible to form a triangle. Hence a clear no
Statement 2: c+b>a. but what about other combinations. a+b / a+c. Hence not clear.

Please clarify if I am wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively, such that a, b and c are all positive numbers?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

amanvermagmat I think it was clear in the previous version also. The question stated " triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units".
Length of the sides can never be of non-positive unit length !
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2501 [0]
Send PM
Rumanshu1990 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively, such that a, b and c are all positive numbers?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

amanvermagmat I think it was clear in the previous version also. The question stated " triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units".
Length of the sides can never be of non-positive unit length !

Hello Rumanshu

Yes I think you are correct. Question was alright in its original form also, thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and [#permalink]
First thing to mention:
In DS the statements don't contradict each other, If you arrive that such triangle doesn't exist with first statement and such triangle exists with second statement, the first thing you should do is to check the statements once again and detect the trap

1st statement: I dont see any problem, there is a rule and according to this rule such Triangle cannot exist-- Suffic
2nd statement: Here we have a trap, the rule says: The Positive difference of any two sides of triangle must be less than the third side. we dont know a-b is a positive difference or not. a=5 b=7 c=8 Such triangle has a right to exist but a-b<c as a-b is a negative number and always will be less than positive third side. -- Insuff.

IMO
Ans: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Send PM
I dont understand why Statement 2 alone is not sufficient.

We're given a-b<c, which can be re-arranged as a<b+c. This means that the sum of 2 sides is greater than the 3rd side, which is always true for a triangle. Thus, it's possible to form a triangle with sides a,b,c.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92970 posts