GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 20:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:02) correct 58% (00:44) wrong based on 59 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively, such that a, b and c are all positive numbers?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jul 2018, 20:58
To find whether a triangle can be formed with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively

Statement 1

a + b < c

Using the sides property of triangle we know that the sum of any two sides of triangle must be greater than the third side

Hence we cannot form a triangle with sides a, b and c and satisfying a + b < c

Statement 1 is sufficient to say we cannot form such a triangle

Statement 2

a - b < c

Again, using the sides property of triangle we know that the difference of any two sides of triangle must be less than the third side

=> We can form a triangle with the lengths a, b and c

Hence we can form a triangle with sides a, b and c and satisfying a - b < c

Statement 2 is sufficient to say we can form such a triangle

Hence option D

If you like my post press kudos +1

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Originally posted by workout on 21 Jul 2018, 20:57.
Last edited by workout on 21 Jul 2018, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 20:57
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

For a Triangle with sides a, b and c, the following two properties hold. ALWAYS:
1. Sum of any two sides of a triangle is always greater than the third side.
2. Difference of any two sides is always lesser than the third side.

Now, coming back to question.

Statement 1: a + b < c
This implies that the sum of two sides is less than the third side.
Hence it is not possible to form a triangle.

Statement 1: a - b < c
This implies that the difference of two sides is lesser than the third side.
Hence such a triangle is possible.

Answer: D

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:04
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

Hi amanvermagmat

In the question, its not mentioned that a,b,c >0 or not. Hence, E. Not sure if I am missing anything.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:07
rahul16singh28 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

Hi amanvermagmat

In the question, its not mentioned that a,b,c >0 or not. Hence, E. Not sure if I am missing anything.

Hello Rahul

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now edited the question to mention that a, b, c are all positive numbers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:21
amanvermagmat wrote:
rahul16singh28 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

Hi amanvermagmat

Hello Rahul

Thanks for pointing that out. I have now edited the question to mention that a, b, c are all positive numbers.

Thanks amanvermagmat

As a,b,c > 0, by combining the two (i.e. by subtracting the two equations) we get b < 0. But as per question b > 0. I see a contradiction here, can you help me to point out the flaw or the way forward. As I understand, the statements shouldn't contradict the question statement.

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:30
As a,b,c > 0, by combining the two (i.e. by subtracting the two equations) we get b < 0. But as per question b > 0. I see a contradiction here, can you help me to point out the flaw or the way forward. As I understand, the statements shouldn't contradict the question statement.[/quote]

Hello

As per my understanding, we cannot subtract inequalities which are in the same direction. We can only add them.
So on adding the two inequations, we get a+b+a-b < c+c OR 2a < 2c OR a < c
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:51
amanvermagmat wrote:
As a,b,c > 0, by combining the two (i.e. by subtracting the two equations) we get b < 0. But as per question b > 0. I see a contradiction here, can you help me to point out the flaw or the way forward. As I understand, the statements shouldn't contradict the question statement.

Hello

As per my understanding, we cannot subtract inequalities which are in the same direction. We can only add them.
So on adding the two inequations, we get a+b+a-b < c+c OR 2a < 2c OR a < c[/quote]

Thanks amanvermagmat. The answer should be A.

Statement I: As per property of triangle, sum of two sides must be greater than third side. So, not possible.

Statement II: Let \((a,b,c) = (0.5,1,0.5)\) --> The Traingle cannot be formed as it violates property of Triangle.
Let \((a,b,c) = (2,1,4)\) --> The traingle can be formed as its in accordance with Property of Triangle.

Hence, A.

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 22:55
IMO A.

Statement 1: It is clear . C>a+b. Not possible to form a triangle. Hence a clear no
Statement 2: c+b>a. but what about other combinations. a+b / a+c. Hence not clear.

Please clarify if I am wrong
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 23:18
amanvermagmat wrote:
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units respectively, such that a, b and c are all positive numbers?

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

amanvermagmat I think it was clear in the previous version also. The question stated " triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units".
Length of the sides can never be of non-positive unit length !

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 09:46
Rumanshu1990 wrote:
amanvermagmat wrote:

(1) a + b < c

(2) a - b < c

amanvermagmat I think it was clear in the previous version also. The question stated " triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and 'c' units".
Length of the sides can never be of non-positive unit length !

Hello Rumanshu

Yes I think you are correct. Question was alright in its original form also, thanks.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 10:08
First thing to mention:
In DS the statements don't contradict each other, If you arrive that such triangle doesn't exist with first statement and such triangle exists with second statement, the first thing you should do is to check the statements once again and detect the trap

1st statement: I dont see any problem, there is a rule and according to this rule such Triangle cannot exist-- Suffic
2nd statement: Here we have a trap, the rule says: The Positive difference of any two sides of triangle must be less than the third side. we dont know a-b is a positive difference or not. a=5 b=7 c=8 Such triangle has a right to exist but a-b<c as a-b is a negative number and always will be less than positive third side. -- Insuff.

IMO
Ans: A
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 15:43
I dont understand why Statement 2 alone is not sufficient.

We're given a-b<c, which can be re-arranged as a<b+c. This means that the sum of 2 sides is greater than the 3rd side, which is always true for a triangle. Thus, it's possible to form a triangle with sides a,b,c.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jul 2018, 15:43

Is it possible to form a triangle with its three sides as 'a', 'b' and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap