Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [10]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 510 Q26 V34
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Isolated from the rest of the world by circumpolar currents and ice [#permalink]
Kudos
1) According to the passage, thick sediment found in the ancient river deltas of Lake Fryxell
The answer can be found in the 1st line of the 3rd paragraph: ‘The ancient river deltas around the slopes of Lake Fryxell present one feature typical of all river deltas: sediment thick enough to bury fossil life forms. This very thickness, however, makes a formal scientific search for signs of - life impracticable. As a result, C) is the answer.

2) The passage is primarily concerned with

A. the adaptations of microorganisms that allow them to live in the Dry Valleys' hostile environment. How microorganisms adapt to live in harsh conditions is not the main focus of the entire passage but only sections of it e.g. sections of the first and second paragraph. However, the 3rd paragraph talks of life forms so we are not sure whether microorganisms are part of these lifeforms or not.

B. the relationship between frozen lakes and glaciers which contributes to the availability of fresh water in the Dry Valleys. This has only been covered towards the end of the 2nd paragraph.

C. evidence of past and present life forms in the extreme conditions of Antarctica's Dry Valleys. This covers the entire scope of the passage.

D. the evolutionary histories of ancient lakes and the clues they hold about life in cold, dry ecosystems. A timeline of how lakes evolve has not been covered in this passage.

E. the differences and similarities between ancient river deltas and ancient lakes. This has not been covered anywhere in the passage.

3) Based on the information in the passage, scientists looking for life on Mars in conditions similar to those in the Dry Valleys would be most likely to find it in which of the following areas?

The answer can be found in the 1st line of the first paragraph. It focuses on the Dry Valleys in the Antarctica and we are told that these valleys are isolated from the rest of the world by circumpolar currents and ice fields so I would go with B) as the answer.

4) Based on the information in the passage, mounds of sediment found at the bottom of Lake Vida are refined by

I. Continual sublimation and ice cover. This has been referenced with regards to Lake Hoare not Lake Vida.
II. Large pieces of rock decomposing on the lake floor. From my understanding, smaller rocks sink deeper than larger rocks hence are more likely to be found as sediment at the bottom of Lake Vida.
III. Cracks formed in the ice by sinking rocks and gravel. This has been mentioned in the lines ‘Since smaller rocks, with a larger surface-area-to volume ratio, get warmer and sink lower than larger rocks, pieces of gravel penetrate by as much as a meter, forming cracks in the ice that cause the finest sediment to sink even deeper. When the lake dries seasonally, the refined sediment within the ice drops to the lake floor, leaving a protective layer of gravel on top of the finer sediment.’ C) is the answer.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [2]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: Isolated from the rest of the world by circumpolar currents and ice [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answers are in bold. This is a slightly easier RC to read and solve; if I have to guess it might be a 600 level RC.

1. According to the passage, thick sediment found in the ancient river deltas of Lake Fryxell
A. forms layers of deposits laden with dried bacteria that are tens of thousands of years old
B. masks life forms by continuously depositing new layers on top of older ones
C. makes it unlikely that scientists will search there for traces of life
D. collects liquid water from nearby glaciers warmed by sunlight during the Antarctic summer
E. is devoid of life due to the impenetrable barrier formed by the sediment

Explanation of question 1
Before going to the choices lets summarise what we already know from the passage about Lake Fryxell. In the passage, the reference of Lake Fryxell is given and then the author says that there is thick sedimentation. It is so thick that - a) it might preserve fossils, and b)since it is so thick it would be mighty tough for the scientists to perform searches.
Only 2 choices come close A and C. However, there is a catch in A. A says the thick sediments FORMS layer of deposits laden with life. No, this is not what the passage says. Passage only states that it might preserve.
C is perfect as our second part of the earlier summary says that it would be mighty hard for the scientists to conduct searches, which is exactly what C says.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2. The passage is primarily concerned with
A. the adaptations of microorganisms that allow them to live in the Dry Valleys' hostile environment
B. the relationship between frozen lakes and glaciers which contributes to the availability of fresh water in the Dry Valleys
C. evidence of past and present life forms in the extreme conditions of Antarctica's Dry Valleys
D. the evolutionary histories of ancient lakes and the clues they hold about life in cold, dry ecosystems
E. the differences and similarities between ancient river deltas and ancient lakes

Explanation of question 2
This is pretty easy, as the other options are weak. Let us go through all the options -
A - Adaptations of microorganisms? Really? The passage is not talking about this at all.
B - Too specific
C - Perfect!
D - Too specific
E - Too specific
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Based on the information in the passage, scientists looking for life on Mars in conditions similar to those in the Dry Valleys would be most likely to find it in which of the following areas?
A. former river deltas
B. circumpolar ice fields
C. larger rocks
D. former glaciers
E. former lakebeds

Explanation of question 3
It is stated in the passage, in the third paragraph -"Dried bacteria in Lake Vida sediment have been dated back tens of thousands of years. Some researchers are hoping that exploration of similar terrain on Mars may yield similar results."
This explicitly mentions that LAKE vida is similar to Mars. Answer is E.

4. Based on the information in the passage, mounds of sediment found at the bottom of Lake Vida are refined by
I. Continual sublimation and ice cover
II. Large pieces of rock decomposing on the lake floor
III. Cracks formed in the ice by sinking rocks and gravel
A. I only
B. I and II
C. III only
D. II and III
E. I, II, and III

Explanation of question 4
I - continual sublimation is affecting the lake. Eventually the lake would vanish due to constant sublimation. This in no way is related to sedimentation in Lake Vida.
II - rock decomposing? Not mentioned in the passage.
III - Yes, actually this is stated in the passage. the small cracks enable the fine sediments to fall through. Only III is correct.
Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
1) C because in para 3 it is clearly written that due to thickness of these sediments makes research on life .

2) D because in all the paragraphs the writer has said about the life on these lakes.

3) B because in first para it is mentioned about it.

4) C - it is clearly in the last para.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
1. According to the passage, thick sediment found in the ancient river deltas of Lake Fryxell

A. forms layers of deposits laden with dried bacteria that are tens of thousands of years old
B. masks life forms by continuously depositing new layers on top of older ones
C. makes it unlikely that scientists will search there for traces of life
D. collects liquid water from nearby glaciers warmed by sunlight during the Antarctic summer
E. is devoid of life due to the impenetrable barrier formed by the sediment

The third paragraph states that deltas around the Lake Fryxell have ancient sediements that are so thick that they point towards the uncertainity of the existance of any life form there. Thus, the scientists will probably not search these areas for traces of life. Option (C) fits our thinking and is the correct option.

A. the adaptations of microorganisms that allow them to live in the Dry Valleys' hostile environment
B. the relationship between frozen lakes and glaciers which contributes to the availability of fresh water in the Dry Valleys
C. evidence of past and present life forms in the extreme conditions of Antarctica's Dry Valleys
D. the evolutionary histories of ancient lakes and the clues they hold about life in cold, dry ecosystems
E. the differences and similarities between ancient river deltas and ancient lakes

In such questions, we must summarize each paragraph and collate their summaries to determine the primary concern of the passage.
Option (A) is out because while the passage does talk about the adaptations of microorganisms, it is referenced only in passage two. This choice is not the correct option becasue of partial scope.
(B) is out because availability of fresh water is not the concern of the passage as whole.
(C) talks about evidence which is correct but that is not the main purpose. The main intention behind writing this passage is to study the Dry Valley and determine clues they hold about life so as to gain insight about life on Mars.
(D) is our correct option.
(E) is out because its scope is limited to the third paragraph.

3. Based on the information in the passage, scientists looking for life on Mars in conditions similar to those in the Dry Valleys would be most likely to find it in which of the following areas?

A. former river deltas
C. larger rocks
D. former glaciers
E. former lakebeds

Pay attention to the third paragraph last few sentences. Thye state that-
"Dried bacteria in Lake Vida sediment have been dated back tens of thousands of years. Some researchers are hoping that exploration of similar terrain on Mars may yield similar results."
The lakebed of Lake Vida is talked about in this context. Thus, our correct option ahs to be (E).

4. Based on the information in the passage, mounds of sediment found at the bottom of Lake Vida are refined by

A. I only
B. I and II
C. III only
D. II and III
E. I, II, and III

I is definitely out because it is referenced in paragraph two where we talk about Lake Fryell. Thus, we can elimiate options (A), (B) and (E).
III is definitely correct as is vividly stated in paragraph three.
I'm confused about whether II is correct because while the text does reference large rocks (it says smaller rocks, which means there have to larger ones out there!). Howveer, those larger rocks are on the lake's surface and not on the lake's floor. Thus, we can conclude that only the cracks formed in ice by sinking rocks and gravel refine the mounds of sediment. Thus, option (C) is correct!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM

B. masks life forms by continuously depositing new layers on top of older ones.
C. makes it unlikely that scientists will search there for traces of life- >Correct
Explanation: para 3-“The ancient river deltas around the slopes of Lake Fryxell present one feature typical of all river deltas: sediment thick enough to bury fossil life forms. This very thickness, however, makes a formal scientific search for signs of - life impracticable”
E. is devoid of life due to the impenetrable barrier formed by the sediment.

A. the adaptations of microorganisms that allow them to live in the Dry Valleys' hostile environment-. Out of scope
B. the relationship between frozen lakes and glaciers which contributes to the availability of fresh water in the Dry Valleys- Only related to para2-Wrong choices
C. evidence of past and present life forms in the extreme conditions of Antarctica's Dry Valleys.-> Correct
Explanation:
Para-1: about Antarctica’s Dry valley environment and present life.
Para -2: about importance of research of Dry valley lakes.
Para-3: example of delta & lakebed about past life form.

D. the evolutionary histories of ancient lakes and the clues they hold about life in cold, dry ecosystems. Not about evolutionary histories about ancient lake, Wrong Choices
E. the differences and similarities between ancient river deltas and ancient lakes. Only related to para 3. Wrong choice

A. former river deltas
C. larger rocks
D. former glaciers
E. former lakebeds -Correct
Explanation: Para 3 “The floor of Lake Vida, on the other hand, is covered with discrete piles of sediment up to a meter high that have preserved clear signs of life……….. Lake Vida sediment have been dated back tens of thousands of years. Some researchers are hoping that exploration of similar terrain on Mars may yield similar results”

A. I only
B. I and II
C. III only
D. II and III[b] ->Correct[/b]
E. I, II, and III
Explanation: Para 3 “The floor of Lake Vida, on the other hand, is covered with discrete piles of sediment ………. because rocks lying on the lake's surface, ….smaller rocks, with a larger surface-area-to volume ratio, get warmer and sink lower than larger rocks, pieces of gravel penetrate by as much as a meter, forming cracks in the ice that cause the finest sediment to sink even deeper. When the lake dries seasonally, ……… leaving a protective layer of gravel on top of the finer Sediment”
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM

Quote:
This very thickness, however, makes a formal scientific search for signs of - life impracticable.

A. forms layers of deposits laden with dried bacteria that are tens of thousands of years old - mentioned w.r.t Lake Vida not ancient river deltas
B. masks life forms by continuously depositing new layers on top of older ones - mentioned w.r.t Lake Vida not ancient river deltas
C. makes it unlikely that scientists will search there for traces of life - Correct as can be inferred from the quoted
D. collects liquid water from nearby glaciers warmed by sunlight during the Antarctic summer - Not mentioned in this context, mentioned w.r.t Lake Hoare
E. is devoid of life due to the impenetrable barrier formed by the sediment - a good contender, but just because it is difficult to penetrate doesn't means life doesn't exist at all

A. the adaptations of microorganisms that allow them to live in the Dry Valleys' hostile environment - not discussed
B. the relationship between frozen lakes and glaciers which contributes to the availability of fresh water in the Dry Valleys - discussed but not main point
C. evidence of past and present life forms in the extreme conditions of Antarctica's Dry Valleys - the passage intends to say much more than that, through these examples it hypothesizes about possibility of life on Mars
D. the evolutionary histories of ancient lakes and the clues they hold about life in cold, dry ecosystems -Correct. can be inferred from the 1st & last para, the middle para contributes to the findings of life given in the last para
E. the differences and similarities between ancient river deltas and ancient lakes - though discussed, it is not the main point

Quote:
Dried bacteria in Lake Vida sediment have been dated back tens of thousands of years. Some researchers are hoping that exploration of similar terrain on Mars may yield similar results.

A. former river deltas
C. larger rocks
D. former glaciers
E. former lakebeds - correct mentioned in the last para

Quote:
Since smaller rocks, with a larger surface-area-tovolume ratio, get warmer and sink lower than larger rocks, pieces of gravel penetrate by as much as a meter, forming cracks in the ice that cause the finest sediment to sink even deeper.

A. I only
B. I and II
C. III onlyCorrect
D. II and III
E. I, II, and III
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
OAs of this RC posted now, if anyone have any question kindly let me know.

1. C
2. C
3. E
4. C

Will share my thoughts shortly.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a very hard science passage, Excellent to those who got 4/4, very good job who got 3/4, 2/4 is also not bad at all.

Explanation ranks as follow.

1. AnirudhaS
2. SSandy066
=2. abcdddddd
4. BlueBook
5. GDT

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1711
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
OAs of this RC posted now, if anyone have any question kindly let me know.

1. C
2. C
3. E
4. C

Will share my thoughts shortly.

Can you please provide OE for Q2 ? I'm unable to pick one b/w C and D.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32950 [1]
Send PM
Isolated from the rest of the world by circumpolar currents and ice [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pranjal3107 wrote:
Can you please provide OE for Q2 ? I'm unable to pick one b/w C and D.

Official Explanation

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Based on our Passage Map this Global question would be something like “describing Dry Valley lakes’ ecosystems and how they preserve signs of life.” That's a great match with (C).

(A) is out of scope: adaptations of organisms are never considered.

(B) is too narrow, since it refers to material mentioned only at the end of Paragraph 2.

(D) is out of scope; evolutionary histories are never discussed, and the clues about life in cold, dry ecosystems is a trap for those who thought the passage focused on parallels with Mars.

The details referenced in (E) are mentioned only briefly—if you read for structure, you may not even have noticed them!

Answer: C

Hope it help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
6 mins all correct, good passage. Happy to help folks if needed !
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts