Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 513 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [6]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: It has been known for many decades that the appearance of sunspots is [#permalink]
Kudos
bm2201 :- Thanks for the reply.

Maunder minimum is based on European notes. Chinese records seem to be contradicting these notes. Does this contradiction make European notes incorrect? Yes, it does make Chinese records important but important for a reason that the fact can not be concretely stated whether correct or incorrect.

What are your thoughts?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: It has been known for many decades that the appearance of sunspots is [#permalink]
Kudos
shameekv1989 wrote:
bm2201 :- Thanks for the reply.

Maunder minimum is based on European notes. Chinese records seem to be contradicting these notes. Does this contradiction make European notes incorrect? Yes, it does make Chinese records important but important for a reason that the fact can not be concretely stated whether correct or incorrect.

What are your thoughts?

Hi shameekv1989,

The author mentions that the reality of Maunder Minimum cannot be established yet, because of the Chinese records, now that would be mean that the records hold some truth. True that the concreteness of the Chinese records cannot be established, yet we can't rule out the possibility that they might actually be correct, which is exactly what's mentioned in the passage, otherwise why would they be even considered while establishing the reality of Maunder Minimum.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
3. According to the passage, late seventeenth and early eighteenth-century Chinese records are important for which of the following reasons?

(A) They suggest that the data on which the Maunder minimum was predicated were incorrect.
(B) They suggest that the Maunder minimum cannot be related to climate.
(C) They suggest that the Maunder minimum might be valid only for Europe.
(D) They establish the existence of a span of unusually cold weather worldwide at the time of the Maunder minimum.
(E) They establish that solar activity at the time of the Maunder minimum did not significantly vary from its present pattern.

Can we discuss about this question? Isn't "incorrect" incorrect to say?

"The reality has yet to be established" doesn't mean to say the data were incorrect. The author hasn't dismissed it completely.

SajjadAhmad : Could you please provide OE or your thoughts on this question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
When answering these questions is there a way to see the associated line numbers of the passages.? For example, question 5 refers to lines 37-45. Do you need to physically count down to 37 or is there a function to see line numbers? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
For Question number 7
I was confused between D and E ; more because it is an assumption question.
I feel like E is wrong because of the word " randomly".

The explanation given prior doesn't justify the reason to cancel E " The passage states that the studies have proved inconclusive." because it is an assumption that is made prior to a conclusion.... And the assumption made by the scientist is more like " the solar activity that affects the meteorology has a consistent or at least " not random" effect of tree thickness.

Am I correct or am misunderstanding it .. Any help would be appreciated :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts