Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [19]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Re: It was done by meticulously typesetting [#permalink]
I think that it should be B because typographers didn't have to be typeset. Additionally this question has comma which introduces a relative clause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Go for B because Typographers are not persons who develop the new technique.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Chose B

A) Pronoun it is ambiguous. It is not clear, what was done by meticulously type setting
B) Correct
C) Usage of pronoun "they" is erraneous
D) "which" in the non underlined portion is not referring to digital type setting
E) "which" in the non underlined portion is not referring to digital type setting
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
daagh wrote:
It was done by meticulously typesetting manuscripts letter by letter, before the development of digital typesetting, which allows typographers to not only finalize a copy-edited script for publishing but also create page layouts in a virtual setting.

A) It was done by meticulously typesetting manuscripts letter by letter, before the development of digital typesetting
B) Manuscripts had to be meticulously typeset letter by letter before the development of digital typesetting
C) Typographers had to meticulously typeset letter by letter before they developed digital typesetting
D) Before developing digital typesetting, manuscripts were meticulously typeset letter by letter
E) Before the development of digital typesetting, manuscripts had to be meticulously typeset letter by letter
meticulously typeset letter by letter

P. S. I saw this topic in a face book posting. This question is claimed to have appeared in some CAT( probably the IIM CAT). AS I couldn't know the original source, obviously, we have to arrive at a consensus.

Though B is best among all, isn't option B has redundancy of HAD/BEFORE?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
It was done by meticulously typesetting [#permalink]
atomicmass wrote:
daagh wrote:
It was done by meticulously typesetting manuscripts letter by letter, before the development of digital typesetting, which allows typographers to not only finalize a copy-edited script for publishing but also create page layouts in a virtual setting.

A) It was done by meticulously typesetting manuscripts letter by letter, before the development of digital typesetting
B) Manuscripts had to be meticulously typeset letter by letter before the development of digital typesetting
C) Typographers had to meticulously typeset letter by letter before they developed digital typesetting
D) Before developing digital typesetting, manuscripts were meticulously typeset letter by letter
E) Before the development of digital typesetting, manuscripts had to be meticulously typeset letter by letter

P. S. I saw this topic in a face book posting. This question is claimed to have appeared in some CAT( probably the IIM CAT). AS I couldn't know the original source, obviously, we have to arrive at a consensus.

Even I have the same doubt. Can any expert shed some light on the above question? daagh GMATNinja carcass sayantanc2k
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM

Hi ,

There's a clear split here abc and de
de is incorrect because which can't refer back to the act of typing(basically any verb since it's a pronoun and must refer back only to a noun non ambiguously)
Here which refers to digital typesetting.
A is wrong as we don't know what it refers to.
B makes it clear that Manuscripts had to be typset
C suggests that the typographers developed digital typesetting hence wrong.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aalekhoza wrote:
atomicmass wrote:
daagh wrote:

Even I have the same doubt. Can any expert shed some light on the above question? daagh GMATNinja carcass sayantanc2k

There is no rule that "had" and "before" cannot be used together - probably you confused with the use of past perfect with "before". Here "had" is the simple past tense (of the verb "to have"), not past perfect. So option B is alright.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts