Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe application volume is up at many of the top schools this year. I think there are several explanations.

First, GMAT test volume is not up that much this year, so I think the natural conclusion is that each person is applying to more schools. That would result in an increase in the number of applications that schools receive without much change in the number of applicants.

The other thing is that applications from countries other than the US seem to be up quite a bit. So, the economy is pretty good here in the US, and US applications are relatively flat compared with the last couple years (way lower than 2003). I think the application volume correlates with the economy in this case. But it's harder to pin down the relation between foreign applicants and the economy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
antapple wrote:
My issue is, how will the job market be in 2 years time... This may be a problem specially for the students getting loans for the MBA.

I believe the market is on a upside right now, I'm a little bit afraid the economic cycle may take a turn in 2 years time. (but well I know I won't think about this if I get an offer for a top school). LOL

My thoughts exactly. The 09 job market has me freaked out a lot more than the present job market. It's scary to think about what would happen if we hit a recession in 09.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
But of course one that fears and doesnt dare, won't go anywhere!
Ah... (just made that up I guess, unfourtunately I already applied to some schools, maybe I'll put this phrase somewhere if I get an interview)...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I believe application volume is up at many of the top schools this year. I think there are several explanations.

Application volumes are up everywhere and not merely for top schools. I have enquired from 2 transelites and 1 near elite. Some of them have a 40% app increase this yr!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:

Application volumes are up everywhere and not merely for top schools. I have enquired from 2 transelites and 1 near elite. Some of them have a 40% app increase this yr!

Ross publicly reported a 50% jump in R1 Volume. Cornell had such an increase they had to extend R2 and supposedly barely made it through R1. The GSB hasn't come out with figures either, but have commented that "this was a very competitive year".
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
As to the question of an up or down market, I don't worry about it. An MBA education will be sufficiently mutable so as to ensure that, at some point, I move into the area I'd seek to move into. There's just no point in trying to guess it.

If you want to though, here's how I see it playing out. You will see a sharp "correction" in real estate prices in 2007: a large number of interest only loans will baloon to higher payments, an increase in default rates and over inflated housing prices caused by speculation rather than true demand will bring the housing market to it's knees. This probably wont be a soft landing, you'll see many people become over under on their loans, and blammo. I imagine that will have a pretty signficant ripple effect on consumer confidence (when your neighbor gets evicted cause his baloon loan was a retarded idea and he cant refinance because the house is now worth less than the mortgage he seeks) - thereby restricting spending and sending us into a recession sometime, probably, in mid 2008.

Thats why my place is going on the market for sale now.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
We're at that stage here in portugal.
And that's exactly my job, I work with non performing resedential loans, relationship management and investment options analysis.
My firm buys and is also a servicer for top investment banks, and its up to us to manage these types of loans, and when the houses are sold at judicial auctions I have to decide upon making offers, waiting for someone to make an offer that is enough to cover my npv or just try and postpone the auctions so that "out of the court" resolutions become plausible (in portugal at least, judicial sales give a 30% discount to real estates in order to stimulate the buy side).

And my thoughs are that this situation is getting worse everyday.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. The 09 job market has me freaked out a lot more than the present job market. It's scary to think about what would happen if we hit a recession in 09.

This is the main reason why I'm even considering taking advantage of my company's b-school sponsorship option. I don't really want to go back, but I could also do alot worse if the job market really tanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
First, GMAT test volume is not up that much this year, so I think the natural conclusion is that each person is applying to more schools. That would result in an increase in the number of applications that schools receive without much change in the number of applicants.

Lets hope so.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
Quote:

This is the main reason why I'm even considering taking advantage of my company's b-school sponsorship option. I don't really want to go back, but I could also do alot worse if the job market really tanks.

My firm pays - but a pathetic amount - only $5,000 a year - which is frankly basically nothing - and only if I'm part time.

In some respects I sometimes question my decision to go FT, because I know that I'll probably only make $10 to $20K more out of school than I do now, but theres really no other way to career switch.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
My firm pays - but a pathetic amount - only $5,000 a year - which is frankly basically nothing - and only if I'm part time.

In some respects I sometimes question my decision to go FT, because I know that I'll probably only make $10 to $20K more out of school than I do now, but theres really no other way to career switch.

I hear ya. By the time I actually start school, its going to be much more about the additional opportunities than the ROI. When I started thinking about b-school it was as much about enhanced lifestyle and income as it was about career and opportunity.

Ironically, if I came back to my company I'd probably get huge pay bump because I'd come in at a level or two above what new MBA hires come in at. My only worry with going the sponsorship route is that I may become complacent and ultimately settle. At the same time I'd prefer coming back to my current employer over taking an industry job so I might as well keep it as an insurance policy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
Kudos
rhyme wrote:
As to the question of an up or down market, I don't worry about it. An MBA education will be sufficiently mutable so as to ensure that, at some point, I move into the area I'd seek to move into. There's just no point in trying to guess it.

If you want to though, here's how I see it playing out. You will see a sharp "correction" in real estate prices in 2007: a large number of interest only loans will baloon to higher payments, an increase in default rates and over inflated housing prices caused by speculation rather than true demand will bring the housing market to it's knees. This probably wont be a soft landing, you'll see many people become over under on their loans, and blammo. I imagine that will have a pretty signficant ripple effect on consumer confidence (when your neighbor gets evicted cause his baloon loan was a retarded idea and he cant refinance because the house is now worth less than the mortgage he seeks) - thereby restricting spending and sending us into a recession sometime, probably, in mid 2008.

Has anybody else seen this since it was posted? This is absolutely uncanny and I am utterly amazed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Re: [#permalink]
Heisman wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Has anybody else seen this since it was posted? This is absolutely uncanny and I am utterly amazed.

wow, rhyme was spot on, he not only predicted it correctly, but the timing was impeccable.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Re: [#permalink]
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
Heisman wrote:
rhyme wrote:

wow, rhyme was spot on, he not only predicted it correctly, but the timing was impeccable.

And here I was about to indignantly chastise someone for resurrecting a five-year old thread, but wow... that was eery...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Job Market and MBA's [#permalink]
I will now officially follow every single word of advice rhyme reccomends in his BSchool App Guide
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Job Market and MBA's [#permalink]