Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.28
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: jobs in usa and H1B visas. Do some students have no option ? [#permalink]
Which thread can we use for this query ? I would start this discussion in appropriate thread
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
The H1b visa is difficult to get nowadays because of the lottery system. A lot of graduates have to return home because they don't win in the lottery. The OPT option will allow you to work for a year WITHOUT visa sponsorship. The next year you will need a H1B. There are 20,000 H1Bs allocated to Masters degree holders, including MBA. For the last two years, the immigration authorities have been holding a lottery for the 20,000 visas as the number of applications has exceeded the number of visas available.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
If you go to a top 15 school, the H1b visa is not an issue. You will will get. It is not as tough as some comments above indicate. Plus in the long run, the top 15 schools will give you all the mobility you want, since most of the top firms here have huge international operations.
When everything is said and done, if the school is a top 15, the H1b visa should not be an issue. Further, for your prospective schools, check out their international student placements rates....that should tell you all you need.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VoyagerII wrote:
If you go to a top 15 school, the H1b visa is not an issue. You will will get. It is not as tough as some comments above indicate. Plus in the long run, the top 15 schools will give you all the mobility you want, since most of the top firms here have huge international operations.
When everything is said and done, if the school is a top 15, the H1b visa should not be an issue. Further, for your prospective schools, check out their international student placements rates....that should tell you all you need.

Agreed with your view regarding mobility...however, with the lottery system, everyone is at par...whether he / she is a graduate of the no.1 B school or the no.100 B school. Getting a sponsorship is not difficult if one is from one of the top B schools; however, whether the person is able to stay in the US or not depends upon his/her winning in the lottery i.e. it is purely luck based
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
True on H1B lottery system. I know great ppl but couldnt make it due to the lottery. It is pretty much based on luck. If you have a bad luck year, good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
If a student finds an H1B sponsor before graduating, say the firm he/she did his internship at, can he apply for H1B right after graduating? And thus use OPT in case visa is denied during the lottery and have a second attempt next year?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
I think, this is something of REAL CONCERN that Internationals should watch out for while planning to apply to US b-schools.

I'd request some our admission consulting partners and/or current students from GMAT Club to shed some light on this!

Hopefully we'll have some invaluable feedback from 'em!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Theorizer has raised a very interesting point. The only issue I think might be the sponsoring company's reluctance to spend money twice on applications, in case the application is rejected in the first year...maybe someone who has been through this process can enlighten us further?
Also, those students who are unaware of this lottery mess might feel that they are losing out a year on Opt. So, they might feel that they will be able to work in the US for only six years instead of seven (considering two h1b renewals)...of course staying in the US after the expiry of the OPT will itself be contingent on winning in the lottery....
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is definitely a chance you won't be able to find a company to sponsor you after business school. For example, my company, a fortune 100 company does not offer visas for MBA students. I think it is becoming more and more common. You will have to be an exceptional candidate with a really unique set of skills for a company to offer you a visa since it is very expensive and complicated for the hiring company. Many don't think it is worth the risk.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello There,

Recently, I finished my MBA and same time DT started ruining my dreams. I would you suggest you to use H!Base service. they are best in their business.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot