Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:44 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:44
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33662 [0]
Given Kudos: 4578
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
1.D (I dont like this one as it involves an implicit assumption that such areas actually have a library but POE on other ones) 2. C (everything else weakened the solutions’ effectiveness)

winterschool wrote:
Q1. The Ode on Indolence is an early and strikingly original work that establishes the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual develops his soul through a form of education consisting of suffering and personal experience. (A) strikingly original work that establishes the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual develops his soul through a form of (B) strikingly original work that established Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual developed his soul through a form of (C) strikingly original work that establishes Keats’s notion of soul making, by which the individual developed his soul through a form of (D) striking original work that established the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual develops his soul through (E) striking original work that establishes the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, by which the individual develops his soul through a form of Difficulty - Hard

SC 1.A 2.D
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q1. The Ode on Indolence is an early and strikingly original work that establishes the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual develops his soul through a form of education consisting of suffering and personal experience. (A) strikingly original work that establishes the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual develops his soul through a form of (B) strikingly original work that established Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual developed his soul through a form of (C) strikingly original work that establishes Keats’s notion of soul making, by which the individual developed his soul through a form of (D) striking original work that established the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, a method by which the individual develops his soul through (E) striking original work that establishes the basis of Keats’s notion of soul making, by which the individual develops his soul through a form of Difficulty - Hard

winterschool wrote:
Q2. Originally Charles City County, Virginia, natives, United States presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler share a unique place in American history: Harrison was the first president to die while in office, and Tyler was the first vice president promoted to succeed a deceased predecessor. (A) Originally Charles City County, Virginia, natives, United States presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler share a unique place in American history (B) Originally Charles City County, Virginia, natives, both United States presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler share unique places in American history (C) United States presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler, both originally natives of Charles City County, Virginia, share a unique place in American history (D) United States presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler, both natives of Charles City County, Virginia, share a unique place in American history (E) Originally native to Charles City County, Virginia, United States presidents William Henry Harrison and John Tyler share a unique place in American history

SC Questions November - 25 :

Q1. Every year, because the horn of either the black or white species can fetch a large sum on the illegal market, hundreds of African rhinoceros are killed annually.

A. Every year, because the horn of either the black or white species can fetch a large sum on the illegal market, hundreds of African rhinoceros are killed annually

B. Because the horn of either the black or white species can fetch a large sum on the illegal market, hundreds of African rhinoceros are killed every year

C. Every year, because the horn of either the black and white species can fetch a large sum on the illegal market, hundreds of African rhinoceros are killed

D. Every year, hundreds of African rhinoceros are killed annually because the horn of either the black or white species can fetch a large sum on the illegal market

E. Annually, because the horn of either the black or white species can fetch a large sum on the illegal market, a hundred African rhinoceros are killed

Q2. As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway.

(A) As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are

(B) As with virtually all of the nation’s 50 busiest airports

(C) Like virtually all of the nation’s 50 busiest airports

(D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are

(E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are

Difficulty - Hard
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q2. As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are, New York’s were built for an age of propellers, before jet planes weighing 800,000 pounds needed over two miles of runway. (A) As virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are (B) As with virtually all of the nation’s 50 busiest airports (C) Like virtually all of the nation’s 50 busiest airports (D) Like the cities where virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are (E) Like other cities where virtually all the nation’s 50 busiest airports are Difficulty - Hard

D & E are gone because Like is never followed by a clause. In B As is followed by a PP, its okay but changes the meaning. C is also changing the meaning, as we are trying to compare how airports are built (action), not the airports itself (noun phrases). Can somebody throw some light here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q85 V83 DI85
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V26
Send PM
Q1=B; Q2=C I feel the same, do we have the answer sheet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Can anyone help me with RC strategies or how can I go about it. I always get 50% correct on RCs. Should I just practice more or is there anything else i should look into?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
horrorslive wrote:
Can anyone help me with RC strategies or how can I go about it. I always get 50% correct on RCs. Should I just practice more or is there anything else i should look into?

The most important part for RC is strategy and following it exactly how it is prescribed without modifications. It is as simple as that. If you just start doing RC and trying to invent something of your own, it usually ends in painful death.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Can you share links for such proven strategies?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
horrorslive wrote:
Can you share links for such proven strategies?

Get a mgmat book or even Kaplan or powerscore book. Or look in the RC forum …

There’s really just one strategy. They’re not many. It is just one and you have to follow it. Improves the score instantly if you do. Or you deviate and then it is like poison.

The ideas that you read the passage, you summarizes your read and you take some minimal notes. You stop after every paragraph to summarize what you just have read. Then you answer the questions. That’s it in a nutshell but the books explain why you need to do it and how you do it in more detail.

If you are serious about improving your score, I recommend you buy a used $5 book on reading comprehension rather than scrounge through some chat rooms. No offense to this chat room 😂
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 788
Schools: Ross '26 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
bb wrote:
If you are serious about improving your score, I recommend you buy a used $5 book on reading comprehension rather than scrounge through some chat rooms. No offense to this chat room 😂

As someone who has given somewhat generic advice on this group, I am very offended bb :lol: :lol:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33662 [0]
Given Kudos: 4578
Send PM
sv2023 wrote:
As someone who has given somewhat generic advice on this group, I am very offended bb :lol: :lol:

take a deep look into here Reading Comprehension Definitive Guide 2023

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/shorte ... 33410.html

sv2023,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
horrorslive wrote:

Something that helps. Refer to FORUM discussions for Q’s that you’re wrong. It gives you insights and helps you reframe your approach. If you’re still confused/lost/uncertain, post a Q and it hopefully someone responds.
A lot of the Q’s have expert opinions on how to approach it.
This applies to all areas of practice - Quant, Verbal, DI.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644161 [0]
Given Kudos: 86770
Send PM
Expert Reply
horrorslive wrote:

For RC resources and guides, please visit the following forum: Verbal Guides and Resources. You'll find numerous helpful topics to explore there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Hello everyone
Can some help me in improving CR
It’s been months of practising but my score in cr is still same and while answering questions I feel very low in confidence
Read power score and took 2-3 coaching stuff also still same

Very depressed
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Don’t be depressed mate. I was in the same state 6 months back when I was scoring 28-35 percentile in CR. Now studying fulltime I have been able to clock 99 percentile in CR. Solving multiple questions wont help you, doing so would only worsen the situation. Analyze why you are making mistakes in CR. Is your problem with understanding of the give argument or analyzing the options? Are you able to deduce the conclusion and assumption made by the author? Are you able to pre think well ( at least 2 -3 options may be)?? These are all the question you need to ask yourself and come with a solution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Lorenzoterrone16, yes plz
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
winterschool wrote:
Q1. A recent survey shows that the use of public libraries has dwindled to 19% of what it was 30 years ago. The digital age has led to huge amounts of information being placed at the fingertips of people while they sit in their own homes. Because libraries serve an important function, their services should not be ceased. Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the author’s conclusion? A. The libraries that existed 30 years ago acted as important meeting places for intellectuals and public figures. B. Sources of information, whether digital or hard copy, should always be verified for accuracy. C. Digital versions of many books are being created that can be bought via stores on the internet. D. In some areas, due to a lack of competition between service providers, Internet prices are extremely high. E. Libraries demand funding which is partly provided by taxes paid by the public.

winterschool wrote:
Q2. Since the introduction of low-cost airlines, delays at the nation’s busiest airports have increased by 50 percent. To combat this problem, takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be re-allocated with a significant preference towards traditional airlines, or those not considered low-cost airlines, over low-cost airlines. If true, each of the following casts doubt on the effectiveness of the solution proposed above EXCEPT A. The primary cause of delays at the nation’s busiest airports is weather-related. B. The delays caused by traditional airlines have continually increased, while those caused by low-cost airlines have continually decreased since the introduction of low-cost airlines. C. Low-cost airlines account for a higher proportion of the delays than do non-low-cost airlines. D Traditional airlines already account for approximately ninety percent of all takeoff and landing slots at the nation’s busiest airports, as low-cost airlines tend to fly into and out of less busy airports. E. Low-cost airlines, on average, account for a much lower proportion of the delays than do non-low-cost airlines. Difficulty - Hard

CR Questions November - 30 :

Q1. A high-calorie diet providing adequate fats was a crucial requirement for the evolution of the anatomically modern human brain, a process that began among our early human ancestors. Food resources that could support such a diet were most abundant and reliable in the shore environments that were available to early humans. Nevertheless, the human brain’s evolution took place almost exclusively in savanna and woodland areas.

Which one of the following, if true, would most help to resolve the apparent conflict presented above?

(A) Early humans had a significantly lower metabolic rate than anatomically modern humans, allowing them to expend their fat reserves more efficiently.

(B) The brains of the earliest known humans were 30 percent smaller than the anatomically modern human brain.

(C) Prehistoric savanna and woodland areas offered more reliable and abundant resources than they do today.

(D) The techniques used to explore the archaeology of prehistoric shore sites have only recently been developed.

(E) Gathering food in shore environments required a significantly greater expenditure of calories by early humans than did gathering food in other environments.

Q2. The Tulips electronics manufacturer came out with a revamped version of a radio they had once produced. The older model had excellent sound quality. The new version had a more attractive design and was fitted with a display screen. The management department was extremely pleased with the record-high sales figures produced by the new radio although the finance department claimed that the profit earned by the old radio in the same amount of time was higher by two-thirds.

Which of the following inferences is best supported by the statement made above?

(A) The screen fitted to the new radios increased its production cost, resulting in a lower profit.

(B) Although the new model was cheaper to produce, its marketing proved to be very expensive.

(C) The revenues earned by the old model were two-thirds higher than those earned by the new model.

(D) Although it had excellent sound quality, the older model cost Tulips less.

(E) Even though the sales figures of the new radio were extremely high, those enjoyed by the older model had been even higher.

Difficulty - Hard
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
1. ---> E , 2---> C
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  88   89   90   91   92  ...  184   
Moderators: