Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 03:55 It is currently 21 May 2024, 03:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Level,    Long Passage,    Social Science,                                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Schools: ISB '25
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Jon Clarks study of the effect of the modernization of a telephone ex [#permalink]
Thx so much RonTargetTestPrep -

I tried this technique but i noticed, detail questions become a BIG problem because you have to rely to "word match" or 'phrase match'

Because we have skimmed the passage, one has to rely on word mapping (map the words from the question stem to where you think you saw that word in the passage)

For example - Question 2 - The question stem has the word "modernization of the telephone exchange"

On my first read, given i am skimming through so much - i didnt really pay much attention to the phrase "modernization of the telephone exchange"

So i tried finding the phrase 'modernization of the telephone exchange"

I see the phrase "modernization of the telephone exchange" in para 1 but i dont think para 1 gives you the answer to Question 2

I believe the answer for Q2 are the details in the LAST paragraph
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Jon Clarks study of the effect of the modernization of a telephone ex [#permalink]
Hi, could an expert please point me to a material, an app or a website where I can get comfortable with this sort of language? This passage pretty much blew me away and I had to spend a lot of time (not looking at the timer) just to understand what the author meant. I appreciate that I need to work on my weakness but I normally don't find this sort of condensed language and information in normal newspapers and articles I read on Economist etc. I would really appreciate a pointer to the material to read this sort of language and get comfortable. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Jon Clarks study of the effect of the modernization of a telephone ex [#permalink]
Quote:
RC00013-04. The information in the passage suggests that which of the following statements from hypothetical sociological studies of change in industry most clearly exemplifies the social constructivists??? version of technological determinism?

(A) It is the available technology that determines workers??? skills, rather than workers??? skills influencing the application of technology.
(B) All progress in industrial technology grows out of a continuing negotiation between technological possibility and human need.
(C) Some organizational change is caused by people; some is caused by computer chips.
(D) Most major technological advances in industry have been generated through research and development.
(E) Some industrial technology eliminates jobs, but educated workers can create whole new skills areas by the adaptation of the technology.

dear avigutman, AndrewN,MartyTargetTestPrep , RonTargetTestPrep
I crossed off A because I think A is the point of Clark, from the sentence:
Quote:
Clark makes the point that the characteristics of a technology have a decisive influence on job skills and work organization. Put more strongly, technology can be a primary determinant of social and managerial organization.

so only B left.
but I have no idea why A is OA, which refers to the social constructivists??? version of technological determinism ?

honestly speaking, I have the same troblem
jabhatta2 wrote:
Thx so much RonTargetTestPrep -

I tried this technique but i noticed, detail questions become a BIG problem because you have to rely to "word match" or 'phrase match'

Because we have skimmed the passage, one has to rely on word mapping (map the words from the question stem to where you think you saw that word in the passage)

For example - Question 2 - The question stem has the word "modernization of the telephone exchange"

On my first read, given i am skimming through so much - i didnt really pay much attention to the phrase "modernization of the telephone exchange"

So i tried finding the phrase 'modernization of the telephone exchange"

I see the phrase "modernization of the telephone exchange" in para 1 but i dont think para 1 gives you the answer to Question 2

please elaborate
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 600 Q37 V37
Send PM
Re: Jon Clarks study of the effect of the modernization of a telephone ex [#permalink]
Can anyone explain the word "subordinate to" please? I look up on the dictionary and it means that: to put someone or something into a less important position. But in some explanation they said that it means depend on.
And I can not understand what does that sentence mean :((
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14033 posts