Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 18:09 It is currently 08 May 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3148 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Re: Just took GMAT for 1st time :| [#permalink]
Accountingg wrote:
Hi, I recently discovered the GMAT club and decided to join this club. I saw a lot of really great posts from other members and wanted to share my experience. So today, I had my 1st attempt at the GMAT, and honestly, I was so upset that I couldn't speak for a while after I saw my score. I studied for 3-4 weeks, although I know that is not nearly enough, but I still did not expect my score to be so low. I scored a 400... I'm so ashamed, and I couldn't even bring myself to tell my parents what I scored. I was hoping maybe some of you can offer me some advice that will help me score higher than a 650 on the next exam. I know it's a big jump, but that is my true score goal. Thanks so much everyone :wink: Some details on my study habits include:

- GMAT Official Guide from 2007 (I was told outdated is still ok .. Am I wrong?)
- GMAT Prep that came with GMAT registration
- Online practice test from Veritas (My score on the practice test was higher than my actual :?: )

Thanks for your advice everyone! I appreciate any help! :)

Hi.
You have only mentioned the official sources which have the questions and not the theory.
Blindly Practising Questions won't help.
You need the theory too.
i think you should look at certain Course Prep material.
Here is my recommendation -->

For Quant -> MGMAT Quant Guides and GMAT-Club Forum would be sufficient.
For Verbal -> I am yet to start my Verbal prep.But i think you should properly look at a online verbal Course module.
Specially if you are a non native.

Regards
Stone Cold
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4554 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Accountingg wrote:
Hi, I recently discovered the GMAT club and decided to join this club. I saw a lot of really great posts from other members and wanted to share my experience. So today, I had my 1st attempt at the GMAT, and honestly, I was so upset that I couldn't speak for a while after I saw my score. I studied for 3-4 weeks, although I know that is not nearly enough, but I still did not expect my score to be so low. I scored a 400... I'm so ashamed, and I couldn't even bring myself to tell my parents what I scored. I was hoping maybe some of you can offer me some advice that will help me score higher than a 650 on the next exam. I know it's a big jump, but that is my true score goal. Thanks so much everyone :wink: Some details on my study habits include:

- GMAT Official Guide from 2007 (I was told outdated is still ok .. Am I wrong?)
- GMAT Prep that came with GMAT registration
- Online practice test from Veritas (My score on the practice test was higher than my actual :?: )

Thanks for your advice everyone! I appreciate any help! :)

Hi Accountingg,

Refer the below links and you will find appropriate details to improve your score.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... 80727.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-bo ... 18706.html

Also you can checkout the premium membership offered by gmatclub: https://gmatclub.com/forum/premium
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Stonecold and Vyshak! I think these are great websites. I am definitely familiar with the format and principles of the exam now that I've had one attempt. I plan to use that GMAT suggested plan from the website to study again... Hopefully make a better score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your help RMD007! I definitely struggle with the basics, especially with the data sufficiency problems. I always get so confused as to which of the given information is sufficient enough.... The problem solving were much easier haha. I will use the e-gmat suggestion that you shared the link to. Thanks again!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11675 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Accountingg,

Raising a 400 to a 650 will take some serious work - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Based on what you've described about your studies so far, there are some immediate adjustments that you have to consider:

1) Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. Studying for less than a month would have limited your progress - and it's unclear exactly how you were studying during that time. Working through random practice questions isn't an effective way to prepare for this Exam.

2) It appears that you tried to spend no money on the preparation process. Considering the importance of the GMAT Score to your application(s), possible scholarships and possibly your career (some companies actually ask for your GMAT score during the hiring process) - you have to look at this whole process as an investment in your future (and not as a series of expenses to be avoided). This is meant to say that your 'big picture' plans could be completely derailed if you try to approach all of this with an emphasis on doing it cheaply.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmat Instructor, thanks for your input!

I definitely plan to put in three months of studying before I take the test again now that I know my weaknesses. Mainly they lie in the data sufficiency, which I struggle because I spend quite a long time trying to figure out the best answer choice. Moreover, it's true I have spent very little on the GMAT study regime haha. Thanks for noticing that. I've actually purchased the Official guide of GMAT review of 2016 (on it's way!) as well as Veritas test prep practice tests (there were 6 in the purchase, I believe). Do you think these are sufficient for my three-month preparation of the GMAT? Thanks a lot :)

1.) I plan to apply to business school very soon most likely in the upcoming months, and I plan to start the program this fall or next spring.
2.) Some schools I hope to apply to are Indiana University, Robinson College of Business in Atlanta, Rochester Institute. These are just some of my current choices, I may expand my list.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11675 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Accountingg,

The average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years. Your score goal is closer to the 80th percentile - so to hit that goal, it's likely that you'll need more study materials than the ones that you've named. Considering your timeframe, you might also find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

If you're planning to apply to Business School some time this year, then you should be able to find out the exact application deadlines for the various Programs that you currently plan to apply to. Having that information is important, since you can use it to 'reverse engineer' your schedule to make sure that you've given yourself enough time to study, take the GMAT (perhaps more than once) and work on your applications.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.02
WE:Account Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

Welcome to the community!

Don't get upset by the score, it was your first attempt. I too am struggling with GMAT. Although I am not new to this forum, have recently started using this forum quite actively, as am preparing for my GMAT test this month.

I had given my first attempt back in 2011 and scored pretty low - 580.

This time around I have gone through:
Manhattan Study Guide to learn the basics of Quants, which I found pretty helpful.
Kaplan Gmat 800 for Critical Reasoning
Level 600 and 700 questions in the forum for Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency as well as Verbal.
I am also taking the free tests to get used to the time constraints for each problem.

All the best!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2117 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Have you given your second attempt? How much did you score?

Would you like share your debrief on how you improved your score?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37404 posts