GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Just took GMAT for 1st time :|

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Just took GMAT for 1st time :|  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 18:32
Hi, I recently discovered the GMAT club and decided to join this club. I saw a lot of really great posts from other members and wanted to share my experience. So today, I had my 1st attempt at the GMAT, and honestly, I was so upset that I couldn't speak for a while after I saw my score. I studied for 3-4 weeks, although I know that is not nearly enough, but I still did not expect my score to be so low. I scored a 400... I'm so ashamed, and I couldn't even bring myself to tell my parents what I scored. I was hoping maybe some of you can offer me some advice that will help me score higher than a 650 on the next exam. I know it's a big jump, but that is my true score goal. Thanks so much everyone :wink: Some details on my study habits include:

- GMAT Official Guide from 2007 (I was told outdated is still ok .. Am I wrong?)
- GMAT Prep that came with GMAT registration
- Online practice test from Veritas (My score on the practice test was higher than my actual :?: )

Thanks for your advice everyone! I appreciate any help! :)
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Just took GMAT for 1st time :|  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 19:11
Accountingg wrote:
Hi, I recently discovered the GMAT club and decided to join this club. I saw a lot of really great posts from other members and wanted to share my experience. So today, I had my 1st attempt at the GMAT, and honestly, I was so upset that I couldn't speak for a while after I saw my score. I studied for 3-4 weeks, although I know that is not nearly enough, but I still did not expect my score to be so low. I scored a 400... I'm so ashamed, and I couldn't even bring myself to tell my parents what I scored. I was hoping maybe some of you can offer me some advice that will help me score higher than a 650 on the next exam. I know it's a big jump, but that is my true score goal. Thanks so much everyone :wink: Some details on my study habits include:

- GMAT Official Guide from 2007 (I was told outdated is still ok .. Am I wrong?)
- Online practice test from Veritas (My score on the practice test was higher than my actual :?: )

Hi.
You have only mentioned the official sources which have the questions and not the theory.
Blindly Practising Questions won't help.
You need the theory too.
i think you should look at certain Course Prep material.
Here is my recommendation -->

For Quant -> MGMAT Quant Guides and GMAT-Club Forum would be sufficient.
For Verbal -> I am yet to start my Verbal prep.But i think you should properly look at a online verbal Course module.
Specially if you are a non native.

Regards
Stone Cold

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

MBA Dating:- B-SCHOOL with the MOST ATTRACTIVE Women
MBA Recruiting:- EMPLOYMENT AND SALARY STATISTICS AT TOP B-SCHOOLS IN THE US! (2018)
MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!
The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!
STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)
AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 20:16
Accountingg wrote:

Hi Accountingg,

Refer the below links and you will find appropriate details to improve your score.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... 80727.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-bo ... 18706.html

Also you can checkout the premium membership offered by gmatclub: https://gmatclub.com/forum/premium
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 20:44
Thank you Stonecold and Vyshak! I think these are great websites. I am definitely familiar with the format and principles of the exam now that I've had one attempt. I plan to use that GMAT suggested plan from the website to study again... Hopefully make a better score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 23:46
Accountingg wrote:

Hi, Welcome to the community.

To start for your preparation again, get yourself familiar with basics of quant and verbal.

For quants, to get your basics cleared you can refer the book : http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-boo ... 30609.html
For verbal, get your basics cleared from any online course (I took e-gmat which I felt it was good but certainly not comprehensive enough). Practice as much as you can.

Try to improve your thought process as you learn and practice. You can take MGMAT Practice test subscription to get yourself familiar.

Some thoughtful posts:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/dear-gmat-as ... l#p1720343
https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... l#p1531446

Wish you all the best for your preparation!

Kudos if my suggestions helped you.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 06:39
Thanks for your help RMD007! I definitely struggle with the basics, especially with the data sufficiency problems. I always get so confused as to which of the given information is sufficient enough.... The problem solving were much easier haha. I will use the e-gmat suggestion that you shared the link to. Thanks again!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 12:33
Hi Accountingg,

Raising a 400 to a 650 will take some serious work - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Based on what you've described about your studies so far, there are some immediate adjustments that you have to consider:

1) Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet. Studying for less than a month would have limited your progress - and it's unclear exactly how you were studying during that time. Working through random practice questions isn't an effective way to prepare for this Exam.

2) It appears that you tried to spend no money on the preparation process. Considering the importance of the GMAT Score to your application(s), possible scholarships and possibly your career (some companies actually ask for your GMAT score during the hiring process) - you have to look at this whole process as an investment in your future (and not as a series of expenses to be avoided). This is meant to say that your 'big picture' plans could be completely derailed if you try to approach all of this with an emphasis on doing it cheaply.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 16:10
Hi EMPOWERgmat Instructor, thanks for your input!

I definitely plan to put in three months of studying before I take the test again now that I know my weaknesses. Mainly they lie in the data sufficiency, which I struggle because I spend quite a long time trying to figure out the best answer choice. Moreover, it's true I have spent very little on the GMAT study regime haha. Thanks for noticing that. I've actually purchased the Official guide of GMAT review of 2016 (on it's way!) as well as Veritas test prep practice tests (there were 6 in the purchase, I believe). Do you think these are sufficient for my three-month preparation of the GMAT? Thanks a lot :)

1.) I plan to apply to business school very soon most likely in the upcoming months, and I plan to start the program this fall or next spring.
2.) Some schools I hope to apply to are Indiana University, Robinson College of Business in Atlanta, Rochester Institute. These are just some of my current choices, I may expand my list.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 19:02
Hi Accountingg,

The average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years. Your score goal is closer to the 80th percentile - so to hit that goal, it's likely that you'll need more study materials than the ones that you've named. Considering your timeframe, you might also find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

If you're planning to apply to Business School some time this year, then you should be able to find out the exact application deadlines for the various Programs that you currently plan to apply to. Having that information is important, since you can use it to 'reverse engineer' your schedule to make sure that you've given yourself enough time to study, take the GMAT (perhaps more than once) and work on your applications.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 19:48
Accountingg,

I feel you bud, got my 410 :cry: today. Funny my goal was 650 too!

Thinking of investing on in person prep course cause I think i need strengthen my quant and verbal foundations.

Just stopped by to tell you that you're not the only one and never give up!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.02
WE: Account Management (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2017, 23:28
Hi,

Welcome to the community!

Don't get upset by the score, it was your first attempt. I too am struggling with GMAT. Although I am not new to this forum, have recently started using this forum quite actively, as am preparing for my GMAT test this month.

I had given my first attempt back in 2011 and scored pretty low - 580.

This time around I have gone through:
Manhattan Study Guide to learn the basics of Quants, which I found pretty helpful.
Kaplan Gmat 800 for Critical Reasoning
Level 600 and 700 questions in the forum for Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency as well as Verbal.
I am also taking the free tests to get used to the time constraints for each problem.

All the best!
Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 07:49
Have you given your second attempt? How much did you score?

Would you like share your debrief on how you improved your score?

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Just took GMAT for 1st time :|   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2018, 07:49

Just took GMAT for 1st time :|

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap