Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 12:47 It is currently 02 May 2024, 12:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Just took the GMAT the second time -- Timing was not very good [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi russ9,

By now you've probably read and tried many of the timing strategies. It could be your nerves on test day that causes your issues with timing. Have you tried doing practice tests in a similar environment to the GMAT (surroundings, time of day, etc.)? The more comfortable you are with the exam day environment, the more confident you'll feel on test day.

If you get the sense that it's something more than test day jitters, I would recommend speaking with a tutor to help with your strategy. Our online tutors can meet with you virtually, if that makes things easier for your schedule. You can sign up for a free trial here: https://econgm.at/freetrialoffer.

Best of luck!

Jessica
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
russ9 wrote:
Hello All,

I just took the GMAT the second time around and pretty much scored the same thing.

GMAT 1: 6/1/14 - 660 Q44, V36
GMAT 2: 11/17/14 - 640 Q44, V34

While taking this test, I felt as though I was doing great on the first few questions on the verbal part, but at some point, I was at question 20 with 17 minutes remaining. Really horrible to say the least.

I don't know what happened to be honest? Maybe mental fatigue? I had been practicing with full test's so I knew what to expect. I feel as though CR and RC are the two things that suck up my time if i'm not careful. I would love some criticism on how to improve my timing? I've read a lot of articles but for some reason, it obviously hasn't helped me much? I've rescheduled the test for next month while things are still fresh.

I've also done pretty much all of the OG problems and taken the GMAT prep practice tests, so at this point, i'm just recalling stuff from memory. Is there a place I should refer to to get additional questions?

Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ,

Without knowing more about your studying habits, it is hard to comment. But here are a few general things that come to mind:

-Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. What I mean by this is that when you do practice CAT exams, try to mimic the real testing situation as much as possible.
-Put pressure on yourself to perform during mock tests
-Find a completely quiet, isolated study area (preferably one that is not your usual spot such as a bedroom or home office, so that it is as strange to you as the test center)
-Don't keep the per question timer visible to you as you take the test (instead use the overall section timer which you would see during the test). Instead get used to the feel of how much time has elapsed and calculating the time remaining by looking at the overall timer

You may also consider working on changing your reading strategy since that tends to have a big impact on CR and RC. What I mean by this is don't read the passages for great detail. Read them to the extent required to build a mental roadmap and summary. Then refer back to the passage to find answers to questions as required rather than committing the passage details to memory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
russ9 wrote:
krr15h wrote:
russ9 wrote:
Hello All,

I just took the GMAT the second time around and pretty much scored the same thing.

GMAT 1: 6/1/14 - 660 Q44, V36
GMAT 2: 11/17/14 - 640 Q44, V34

While taking this test, I felt as though I was doing great on the first few questions on the verbal part, but at some point, I was at question 20 with 17 minutes remaining. Really horrible to say the least.

I don't know what happened to be honest? Maybe mental fatigue? I had been practicing with full test's so I knew what to expect. I feel as though CR and RC are the two things that suck up my time if i'm not careful. I would love some criticism on how to improve my timing? I've read a lot of articles but for some reason, it obviously hasn't helped me much? I've rescheduled the test for next month while things are still fresh.

I've also done pretty much all of the OG problems and taken the GMAT prep practice tests, so at this point, i'm just recalling stuff from memory. Is there a place I should refer to to get additional questions?

Thanks,
Russ

You need to get your timing right. Get a timer and restrict the time you spend on each question to 2mins (quant) or 1 min 40 sec (verbal)

that's the thing -- i do use a timer and restrict myself on practice questions. all is well during practice.

If you have done everything right and your problem is 'qualitative' then may be you should read my 750 GMAT story. It has tips on how to manage feelings.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JTuquero wrote:
Hi russ9,

By now you've probably read and tried many of the timing strategies. It could be your nerves on test day that causes your issues with timing. Have you tried doing practice tests in a similar environment to the GMAT (surroundings, time of day, etc.)? The more comfortable you are with the exam day environment, the more confident you'll feel on test day.

If you get the sense that it's something more than test day jitters, I would recommend speaking with a tutor to help with your strategy. Our online tutors can meet with you virtually, if that makes things easier for your schedule. You can sign up for a free trial here: https://econgm.at/freetrialoffer.

Best of luck!

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I have gone to great lengths to mimic the testing environment -- I turn off my phone, tell my girlfriend that I need the apartment to myself, etc.

I thought that I had the jitters under control -- it's almost as if I zone out for a minute or two on the Verbal section because of fatigue and then it's down hill.

Any thoughts on how to improve that? The thing is -- I honestly feel that I have content down pretty well for SC, it's RC that is a little bit of a time suck and results in drifting because of the wall of text.

Thanks again for your help!
Russ

LighthousePrep wrote:
Hi Russ,

Without knowing more about your studying habits, it is hard to comment. But here are a few general things that come to mind:

-Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. What I mean by this is that when you do practice CAT exams, try to mimic the real testing situation as much as possible.
-Put pressure on yourself to perform during mock tests
-Find a completely quiet, isolated study area (preferably one that is not your usual spot such as a bedroom or home office, so that it is as strange to you as the test center)
-Don't keep the per question timer visible to you as you take the test (instead use the overall section timer which you would see during the test). Instead get used to the feel of how much time has elapsed and calculating the time remaining by looking at the overall timer

You may also consider working on changing your reading strategy since that tends to have a big impact on CR and RC. What I mean by this is don't read the passages for great detail. Read them to the extent required to build a mental roadmap and summary. Then refer back to the passage to find answers to questions as required rather than committing the passage details to memory.

Hi LighthousePrep,

Your last bit of advice, I have tried very hard to incorporate that but for some reason or another, I keep on drifting away from that strategy come test time. How do you think I can better improve my reading skills for CR and RC. I am, by nature, a very detailed oriented person(engineer) and maybe that's actually hurting me in this case. I try to look at things and read & re-read. How do I get out of this mode?

Thanks!
Russ

krr15h wrote:
If you have done everything right and your problem is 'qualitative' then may be you should read my 750 GMAT story. It has tips on how to manage feelings.

Thanks! Read your debrief. I don't think it's qualitative -- but I loved your story. I incorporated the healthy diet, sleep, day off(took 2 days semi-off before the test) and days off in between. I'm having a hard time pin-pointing the issue. It has to be quantitative because I feel as though i'm comfortable on the qualitative end.

The issue is that even on the quantitative end, I feel as though I am confident but the scores aren't reflecting it. That being said, i'm definitely weaker on the quantitative side than the qualitative side -- that I can say for sure. RC and CR are probably two areas I can improve on. The unfortunate thing is that I am out of things to practice?

Thanks for your help,
Russ
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
"I've also done pretty much all of the OG problems and taken the GMAT prep practice tests, so at this point, i'm just recalling stuff from memory. Is there a place I should refer to to get additional questions?"

I would strongly urge you to practice with official GMAT questions. I would use the following resources: GMATPrep Question Pack 1, Exam Pack 1, may be GMATFocus, and the pool of questions in the GMATPrep database(all-gmatprep-questions-quant-verbal-187679.html). This should be plenty. Of course, as you go through these questions you need to figure out what is missing in your understanding.

Cheers,
Dabral
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Expert Reply
russ9 wrote:

Hi Jessica,

I have gone to great lengths to mimic the testing environment -- I turn off my phone, tell my girlfriend that I need the apartment to myself, etc.

I thought that I had the jitters under control -- it's almost as if I zone out for a minute or two on the Verbal section because of fatigue and then it's down hill.

Any thoughts on how to improve that? The thing is -- I honestly feel that I have content down pretty well for SC, it's RC that is a little bit of a time suck and results in drifting because of the wall of text.

Russ

Hi Russ,

RC is a tough one, and you're not alone-many people seem to lose track of time or lose concentration in that section. I recommend taking notes while reading those long passages (if you don't already). This will keep you focused. As you take notes, practice determining the main idea, tone, type and structure of texts. Pay attention to how the text flows. Keep an eye out for changes in opinions or content.

You can practice every day by reading publications like The Economist or the New York Times Op-ed section.

Hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JTuquero wrote:
russ9 wrote:

Hi Jessica,

Russ

Hi Russ,

RC is a tough one, and you're not alone-many people seem to lose track of time or lose concentration in that section. I recommend taking notes while reading those long passages (if you don't already). This will keep you focused. As you take notes, practice determining the main idea, tone, type and structure of texts. Pay attention to how the text flows. Keep an eye out for changes in opinions or content.

You can practice every day by reading publications like The Economist or the New York Times Op-ed section.

Hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!

Thanks -- i'll try to implement what you mentioned.
GMAT Club Bot