Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Re: Justifying your low GPA, a double-edged sword? [#permalink]
If you try to write all your essays based on how it might be perceived from the adcom's perspective, you are not gonna write an essay that truly reflects your candidacy for the school.

If you have a legitimate reason why your GPA is not as high as you would like to be, you should address it. But after writing your essay that addresses your GPA, and you realize that there's more blame than accountability on your part, then you should rethink the strategy.
(I am not saying that this is the case for you. Just giving you an example)

Don't try to come up with answers that would look "good" or "ideal" in the eyes of the adcom. Just be honest and give your point of view on the topic. After all, "fit" is very important later on. If an applicant ends up portraying him or herself as a person with personality/trait "A" that fits with a certain school, and the applicant is accepted....and then later on, that same applicant ends up with hundreds of new classmates with personality/trait "A" when he or she is in fact personality/trait "B", next 2 years are going to be very tough for the applicant and for the classmates.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I think even if your GPA is less than perfect, you should not bring it up in a negative way. Always be positive. Tell them yes you will be ready to take on the challenges of the course work. Don't make it sound like you have so many excuses. Demonstrate you can excel. :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Ahh, my bad. That's the impression I got since you mentioned it in your post.

Either way, I think it's best to take full responsibility for your GPA. If there truly were extenuating circumstances (i.e. illness, family issues, working substantial hours to finance education) than those are certainly worth mentioning.

Have you built an alternate transcript? Showing adcoms that you're academically motivated now is a lot better than simply telling them.

saruba wrote:
Hi swbluedevil, thanks for your answer.

Actually, that has nothing to do with my performance, it's just an example of how your gpa may not be accurate, as there are many others (work, personal situation, motivation, ...).

In my particular case, I didn't care too much for my grades until I suddenly discovered the MiM (in 3rd course) and now I feel I could've done better. Moreover, since it's a MSc expressly for recent graduates the gpa is probably more important.

Nevertheless I agree with you, I'll try to do my best in the GMAT and write stunning essays.
GMAT Club Bot