Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [19]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [3]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Send PM
Re: Karl Marx divided society into two broad classes, the bourge [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO answer is C

This question tests punctuations, usage of due to, because of phrases and subject verb agreement.

A, B, D are out because of subject verb dis-agreement - were and their when mentioning collective noun - proletariat, which is singular.

E - since the statement describes about Karl Marx view of society, a simple past is better than being. Also because of is followed by a verbing modifier (lacking) rather than a pronoun as in C.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Bookmarks
shaileshmishra wrote:
Karl Marx divided society into two broad classes, the bourgeoisie and the proletariat; the latter of which, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of material property.

A)proletariat; the latter of which, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of

B)proletariat, which, he wrote, were free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of

C)proletariat; the latter, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay because of its lack of

D)proletariat, the latter of which he wrote were free from the danger of moral decay because of lacking

E)proletariat, the latter being free, he wrote, from the danger of moral decay because of lacking

OA TO FOLLOW

HERE IS THE OE

For a semicolon to be properly used, the parts of the sentence before and after it must both be independent clauses (i.e., each of them can stand alone as a sentence). In this sentence, the part following the semicolon (starting with “the latter of which”) is a relative clause, not an independent clause. Also, the plural pronoun their cannot refer to the singular noun proletariat. We know that proletariat is singular, because it is the subject of the singular verb was. Finally, the construction due to is incorrectly used. This construction implies that either the moral decay or the danger of moral decay resulted from (was due to) the proletariat's lack of material property. What the author intends to say is that this lack of material property was the reason for which the proletariat was free of such danger.

(A) This choice is incorrect, as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The plural verb were and the plural pronoun their refer, by default, to both of the social classes mentioned in the sentence. Therefore, this sentence, while grammatically correct, has the wrong meaning; it wrongly states that, according to Marx, both the proletariat and the bourgeoisie were free from the danger of moral decay. This choice also uses the construction due to incorrectly.

(C) CORRECT. This sentence uses a semicolon properly: the parts of the sentence before and after the semicolon are both independent clauses (i.e., complete sentence in their own right). The parenthetical he wrote is properly used to indicate that a stated opinion was included in Marx’s writing. The verb was and the pronoun its are both singular, in agreement with the singular noun proletariat.

(D) The plural verb were does not agree with the singular subject proletariat. The construction because of lacking is unidiomatic. The phrase he wrote should also be separated by commas.

(E) The use of being for characterization, as in this sentence, is unidiomatic. The construction because of lacking is unidiomatic.

The correct answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
The answer will be "C".

Options "A" and "B" are wrong for the same reason:- The usage of "their lack of" because "the proletariat" is singular.

Option "D" used "were" and option "E" used "being" which make them wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Need Help with Explanation - 700-800 level Question [#permalink]
Hi

i would like to discuss this question..........i got it wrong in one of the simulation tests but i am not convinced why my answer is wrong

Karl Marx divided society into two broad classes, the bourgeoisie and the proletariat; the latter of which, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of material property.
1. proletariat; the latter of which, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of
2. proletariat, which, he wrote, were free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of
3. proletariat; the latter, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay because of its lack of
4. proletariat, the latter of which he wrote were free from the danger of moral decay because of lacking
5. proletariat, the latter being free, he wrote, from the danger of moral decay because of lacking
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
sanjeet7788 wrote:
Hi

i would like to discuss this question..........i got it wrong in one of the simulation tests but i am not convinced why my answer is wrong

1. proletariat; the latter of which, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of
2. proletariat, which, he wrote, were free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of
3. proletariat; the latter, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay because of its lack of
4. proletariat, the latter of which he wrote were free from the danger of moral decay because of lacking
5. proletariat, the latter being free, he wrote, from the danger of moral decay because of lacking

Topic Merged. Please refer to the above discussions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Karl Marx divided society into two broad classes, the bourge [#permalink]

A)proletariat; the latter of which, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of - here, there is no logical antecedent to 'their'. Besides, the two broad classes (highlighted in the prompt) are collective nouns; collective nouns are treated as singular nouns. since 'their' ( a plural pronoun in the subjective form) is trying to refer to one of the two broad classes (a singular noun), (A) is incorrect.

B)proletariat, which, he wrote, were free from the danger of moral decay due to their lack of - the singular subject cannot be matched by a plural verb(s). Hence, Eliminate (B).

C)proletariat; the latter, he wrote, was free from the danger of moral decay because of its lack of - neat and concise. the subject-verb agreement is correct. hence, (C) is the right answer.

D)proletariat, the latter of which he wrote were free from the danger of moral decay because of lacking - were is plural, but the subject it intends to modify is singular. Hence, eliminate (D)

E)proletariat, the latter being free, he wrote, from the danger of moral decay because of lacking - A super awkward answer choice. Eliminate (E)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts