GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Jan 2020, 00:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Posts: 28
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 08:07
12
113
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:30) correct 36% (01:29) wrong based on 1125 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 08:11
38
31
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.


Algebraic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

We have two lines: \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1) --> \(1=5m_1+b_1=5m_2+b_2\) --> \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\). Not sufficient.

(2) The y-intercept of line \(n\) is greater than the y-intercept of line \(p\) --> y-intercept is value of \(y\) for \(x=0\), so it's the value of \(b\) --> \(b_1>b_2\) or \(b_2-b_1<0\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\), as from (2) \(b_2-b_1<0\) (RHS), then LHS (left hand side) also is less than zero \(5(m_1-m_2)<0\) --> \(m_1-m_2<0\) --> \(m_1<m_2\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

For more on this topic check Coordinate Geometry Chapter of Math Book: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.
_________________
General Discussion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 08:13
16
10
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.


Graphic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at (5,1)
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than y-intercept of line p

The two statements individually are not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Note that a higher absolute value of a slope indicates a steeper incline.

Now, if both lines have positive slopes then as the y-intercept of line n (blue) is greater than y-intercept of line p (red) then the line p is steeper hence its slope is greater than the slope of the line n:

Image

If both lines have negative slopes then again as the y-intercept of line n (blue) is greater than y-intercept of line p (red) then the line n is steeper hence the absolute value of its slope is greater than the absolute value of the slope of the line p, so the slope of n is more negative than the slope of p, which means that the slope of p is greater than the slope of n:

Image

So in both cases the slope of p is greater than the slope of n. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Attachment:
1.PNG
1.PNG [ 14.29 KiB | Viewed 40883 times ]

Attachment:
2.PNG
2.PNG [ 13.66 KiB | Viewed 40938 times ]

_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2012
Posts: 3
GPA: 3.97
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 09:05
3
Bunuel,

What if line p has a negative y intercept but line n has a positive intercept? Wouldn't that give the oposite answer?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2012, 10:13
3
2
nglekel wrote:
Bunuel,

What if line p has a negative y intercept but line n has a positive intercept? Wouldn't that give the oposite answer?




If line p has a negative y-intercept then its slope is positive and it will still be more than the slope of n, with positive y-intercept (if the slope of n will be positive than p will still be steeper than n, and if the slope of n is negative it obviously will be less than positive slope of p). Consider first image and rotate line n (blue) so that it to have positive y-intercept and you'll easily see the answer.

Check the following links for similar questions, where different scenarios are considered:
in-the-xy-plane-is-the-slope-of-line-l-greater-than-the-126941.html
if-the-slopes-of-the-line-l1-and-l2-are-of-the-same-sign-is-126759.html
slopes-of-m-and-n-124025.html

Also check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book for theory on this subject: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 19:23
Bunuel wrote:
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.


Algebraic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

We have two lines: \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1) --> \(1=5m_1+b_1=5m_2+b_2\) --> \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\). Not sufficient.
(2) The y-intercept of line \(n\) is greater than the y-intercept of line \(p\) --> y-intercept is value of \(y\) for \(x=0\), so it's the value of \(b\) --> \(b_1>b_2\) or \(b_2-b_1<0\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\), as from (2) \(b_2-b_1<0\) (RHS), then LHS (left hand side) also is less than zero \(5(m_1-m_2)<0\) --> \(m_1-m_2<0\) --> \(m_1<m_2\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.



Hope it helps.


Bunuel,

In here - \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

Why have you chosen different variables for the y?

Shouldnt the two equations be y=m1x+b1 and y=m2x+b2? We always form the equation from the basic form of y=mx+c wherein we substitute the values of m and c. And if that is the case, we can get the answer from statement II only.

I know I am missing something but I am not clear as to why you have picked different variables for y but not for x.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2013, 23:08
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.


Algebraic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

We have two lines: \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1) --> \(1=5m_1+b_1=5m_2+b_2\) --> \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\). Not sufficient.
(2) The y-intercept of line \(n\) is greater than the y-intercept of line \(p\) --> y-intercept is value of \(y\) for \(x=0\), so it's the value of \(b\) --> \(b_1>b_2\) or \(b_2-b_1<0\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\), as from (2) \(b_2-b_1<0\) (RHS), then LHS (left hand side) also is less than zero \(5(m_1-m_2)<0\) --> \(m_1-m_2<0\) --> \(m_1<m_2\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.



Hope it helps.


Bunuel,

In here - \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

Why have you chosen different variables for the y?

Shouldnt the two equations be y=m1x+b1 and y=m2x+b2? We always form the equation from the basic form of y=mx+c wherein we substitute the values of m and c. And if that is the case, we can get the answer from statement II only.

I know I am missing something but I am not clear as to why you have picked different variables for y but not for x.


n and p are subscripts of y's, not variables.

\(y=m_1x+b_1\) is equation of line n.
\(y=m_2x+b_2\) is equation of line p.

I used subscripts simply to distinguish one equation from another.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2013, 05:02
Bunuel wrote:
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Algebraic approach:

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p?

We have two lines: \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1) --> \(1=5m_1+b_1=5m_2+b_2\) --> \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\). Not sufficient.
(2) The y-intercept of line \(n\) is greater than the y-intercept of line \(p\) --> y-intercept is value of \(y\) for \(x=0\), so it's the value of \(b\) --> \(b_1>b_2\) or \(b_2-b_1<0\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(5(m_1-m_2)=b_2-b_1\), as from (2) \(b_2-b_1<0\) (RHS), then LHS (left hand side) also is less than zero \(5(m_1-m_2)<0\) --> \(m_1-m_2<0\) --> \(m_1<m_2\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.



Hope it helps.


Bunuel,

In here - \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

Why have you chosen different variables for the y?

Shouldnt the two equations be y=m1x+b1 and y=m2x+b2? We always form the equation from the basic form of y=mx+c wherein we substitute the values of m and c. And if that is the case, we can get the answer from statement II only.

I know I am missing something but I am not clear as to why you have picked different variables for y but not for x.


n and p are subscripts of y's, not variables.

\(y=m_1x+b_1\) is equation of line n.
\(y=m_2x+b_2\) is equation of line p.

I used subscripts simply to distinguish one equation from another.


If that is the case then, from the above equations

we get b1=y-m1x and b2=y-m2x

Now from statement 2 we know that b1>b2...

therefore, y-m1x >y-m2x

which gives (m1-m2)x>0

So it can be proved from statement 2 only that m1>m2

Where am I going wrong?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2013, 06:07
keenys wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
keenys wrote:
Bunuel,

In here - \(y_n=m_1x+b_1\) and \(y_p=m_2x+b_2\). Q: \(m_1<m_2\) true?

Why have you chosen different variables for the y?

Shouldnt the two equations be y=m1x+b1 and y=m2x+b2? We always form the equation from the basic form of y=mx+c wherein we substitute the values of m and c. And if that is the case, we can get the answer from statement II only.

I know I am missing something but I am not clear as to why you have picked different variables for y but not for x.


n and p are subscripts of y's, not variables.

\(y=m_1x+b_1\) is equation of line n.
\(y=m_2x+b_2\) is equation of line p.

I used subscripts simply to distinguish one equation from another.


If that is the case then, from the above equations

we get b1=y-m1x and b2=y-m2x

Now from statement 2 we know that b1>b2...

therefore, y-m1x >y-m2x

which gives (m1-m2)x>0

So it can be proved from statement 2 only that m1>m2

Where am I going wrong?


The y-intercept is the value of \(y\) for \(x=0\). You should substitute x=0 into both equations.

So, the y-intercept of line n is b1 and the y-intercept of line p is b2, from (2) we only have that b1>b2.
_________________
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Posts: 967
Reviews Badge
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 12:01
2
Bunuel wrote:
nglekel wrote:
Bunuel,

What if line p has a negative y intercept but line n has a positive intercept? Wouldn't that give the oposite answer?




If line p has a negative y-intercept then its slope is positive and it will still be more than the slope of n, with positive y-intercept (if the slope of n will be positive than p will still be steeper than n, and if the slope of n is negative it obviously will be less than positive slope of p). Consider first image and rotate line n (blue) so that it to have positive y-intercept and you'll easily see the answer.


Hope it helps.


Experts

Please reply for my doubt.....
for below attached fig ...getting 2 diff.. answers.....
Attachments

coordinate.png
coordinate.png [ 17.92 KiB | Viewed 18885 times ]

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9996
Location: Pune, India
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 23:38
rohit8865 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nglekel wrote:
Bunuel,

What if line p has a negative y intercept but line n has a positive intercept? Wouldn't that give the oposite answer?




If line p has a negative y-intercept then its slope is positive and it will still be more than the slope of n, with positive y-intercept (if the slope of n will be positive than p will still be steeper than n, and if the slope of n is negative it obviously will be less than positive slope of p). Consider first image and rotate line n (blue) so that it to have positive y-intercept and you'll easily see the answer.


Hope it helps.


Experts

Please reply for my doubt.....
for below attached fig ...getting 2 diff.. answers.....


Responding to a pm:

I am not sure I understand why you say you are getting two different answers. In both diagrams, the slope of n is less than the slope of p. We are comparing actual values of the slopes, not just the absolute values.
So say slope of n is -2 in both cases. Slope of p in the first diagram will be -1/2 and slope of p in the second diagram would be about 1.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2986
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2016, 07:02
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.



Answer: Option C

Check the cases as per color coding
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
15.jpg
15.jpg [ 112.57 KiB | Viewed 9178 times ]


_________________
Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

Click here for Our private tutoring package details

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 May 2016
Posts: 22
Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 14:11
Here is a great resource to understand slope. You can plug in values and see how things change:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/nuokqfhfxi

Hope this helps
_________________
What's your totem?
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2806
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 10:50
4
BANON wrote:
Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than the slope of line p ?

(1) Lines n and p intersect at the point (5 , 1).
(2) The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.


We need to determine whether the slope of line n is less than the slope of line p.

Statement One Alone:

Lines n and p intersect at the point (5,1).

If the two lines intersect at a point, they are not parallel and hence their slopes are not equal (unless they are identical lines). So the slope of one line must be greater than the slope of the other line. However, we can’t determine which line has the greater slope. Statement one alone is not sufficient. Eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

The y-intercept of line n is greater than the y-intercept of line p.

Knowing that the y-intercept of one line is greater than the y-intercept of the other does not allow us to determine which line has the greater slope.

For example, line n could have a y-intercept 2 and slope 3, and line p could have a y-intercept 1 and slope 2. In this case, line p has the lesser slope. However, it’s also possible that line n could have a y-intercept 2 and slope 2, and line p could have a y-intercept 1 and slope 3. In which case, line n has the lesser slope. Statement two alone is not sufficient. Eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

Knowing the point where the two lines intersect and the relationship of the y-intercept of each line allows us to determine which line has the lesser slope.

Even though we don’t know the actual y-intercept of each line, we know that the y-intercept of line n is greater than that of line p. So we can let the y-intercept of line n be b, and that of line p be c where b > c.

Thus, line n passes through (0, b), and line p passes through (0, c). Both lines also pass through (5, 1). Let’s calculate their slopes:

Slope of line n = (1 – b)/(5 – 0) = (1 – b)/5

Slope of line p = (1 – c)/(5 – 0) = (1 – c)/5

Now let’s determine whether (1 – b)/5 < (1 – c)/5.

Is (1 – b)/5 < (1 – c)/5 ?

Is 1 – b < 1 – c ?

Is –b < –c ?

Is b > c ?

Since, from the information in statement two, we know that b is greater than c, we have answered the question: the slope of line n is indeed less than that of line p.

Answer: C
_________________

Jeffrey Miller

Head of GMAT Instruction

Jeff@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Sep 2016
Posts: 16
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 21:35
Am I right in my understanding that since the question asks for whether the slope of line n is greater than the slope of p, we need to consider only actual values and not absolute values.

If the question had asked for whether line n is steeper than line p, then we would have had to consider absolute values and in this second case, the answer will actually have been E?

Bunuel or Karishma or other experts please clarify.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 21:38
dramamur wrote:
Am I right in my understanding that since the question asks for whether the slope of line n is greater than the slope of p, we need to consider only actual values and not absolute values.

If the question had asked for whether line n is steeper than line p, then we would have had to consider absolute values and in this second case, the answer will actually have been E?

Bunuel or Karishma or other experts please clarify.


Yes, the question asks whether \(m_1<m_2\) is true (not whether \(|m_1|<|m_2|\) is true). Every solution on the previous two pages answers exactly this question.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 08:35
1
What if the slope of n is negative and the slope of p is positive?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60519
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 08:40
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jun 2017
Posts: 10
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 05:51
If you try to gauge the difficulty of this question, would it be a 400-level question, 500-level, 600-level, etc?

Coordinate plane questions tend to be most difficult for me right now. I'm working on my ability to solve these types. So, it would be helpful to be able to gauge the degree of difficulty for problems that trouble me.
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1403
Location: India
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 06:01
1
aaronhew wrote:
If you try to gauge the difficulty of this question, would it be a 400-level question, 500-level, 600-level, etc?

Coordinate plane questions tend to be most difficult for me right now. I'm working on my ability to solve these types. So, it would be helpful to be able to gauge the degree of difficulty for problems that trouble me.


Hello

The questions here on GmatClub are tagged as 'Sub 600' or '600-700' or '700' levels.

If you look at this question, this is tagged as '600-700' level question. (Question tags are visible on the question post only).

You can also see there that this is a 45% difficulty level (medium) based on 1029 sessions, out of which 62% got it correct and 38% wrong (These stats are till now, as of this comment of mine, but will change as more and more people solve this question using timer)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th   [#permalink] 16 May 2018, 06:01

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 29 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Lines n and p lie in the xy-plane. Is the slope of line n less than th

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne