Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [17]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Re: Literary critics are fond of referring to a work as a "musical novel" [#permalink]
Such a hellish passage :shock: :shock:
Can't believe that this is under 600-700 category :!: :!: :?:

Can anyone please help with the first and second question?

I couldn't figure out the clues for the correct answer.
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Re: Literary critics are fond of referring to a work as a "musical novel" [#permalink]
sleepynut wrote:
Such a hellish passage :shock: :shock:
Can't believe that this is under 600-700 category :!: :!: :?:

Can anyone please help with the first and second question?

I couldn't figure out the clues for the correct answer.
Thanks

1. Pay attention to the first para. It talks about how musical novels are over simplified.
In the succeeding paras the passage gives examples of how the musical novels have more to it and don't have a particular definition.
Keeping these two points we can say C is the correct answer.

2. The answer to this lies in the second and last para.

the excerpt :
Virginia Woolf uses musical techniques to evoke imagery.

so they overlook what makes Moderato Cantabile a truly musical novel: It is actually "heard" by the reader. The novel is mostly dialogue punctuated by the sounds of a radio, boats, and crowds, like musical phrases defined by rests; all that we know and all that we need to know of Anne and Chauvin is what we hear them say. Ironically, this technique that makes Moderato Cantabile more successful than The Waves as a "musical novel".

Using these two excerpts we can safely conclude option A.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
4. Which of the following conclusions can be inferred about the musical structure of Moderato Cantabile?

I have the same problem as aniketm.87@gmail.com

THis is tough, more confusing the 2nd time.

A) and E) are out ----------> at least as per my reasoning, these two options are not mentioned anywhere in the 2nd para
D) tempting to chose, but its not mentioned anywhere that Anne's return corresponds to the end of a sonata. I felt we need to assume this to be true ( doubtful but a contender)
between B) and C) it was a tough choice but these two options are more strong than D) ------> at least now I had a 50% chance of getting it right.
IN such cases, I usually go with the straight forward choice. IN this case C) is pretty straight forward (at least according to me). I am still not clear regarding the murder representing the modulation of the 2nd theme, so I eliminated it .

IF someone can shed some more light on this, then it will be cool. Thanks in advance

(A)Chapter two of the novel is intended to represent the recapitulation.
- “Chapter two of the novel “ is not related to “recapitulation”
finally resolving them in a recapitulation by modulation of the second theme to the key of the first theme, thereby providing resolution and closure,

(B)The symbolic re-enactment of the murder(the end of the first chapter…) represents the modulation of the second theme.

See those sentences in para3
in the form of a symbolic reenactment of the murder that occurs at the end of the first chapter…
by modulation of the second theme to the key of the first theme,….

ALSO, I THINK THE STATEMENT OF (B) HAS MUCH MORE TO DO WITH ‘’MUSICAL STRUCTURE”
So why cannot (B) BE CORRECT???

(C)Anne corresponds to the tonic theme, and Chauvin corresponds to the dominant theme
….this is the correct answer, however, I just view it a weird option
to consider it as correct answer

See those sentences in para3

Then, just as the eighth note of the musical scale is the same as the “first--the tonic—“

However, nothing in the passage shows that ‘Anne corresponds to the tonic theme’….????
But we can assure that Chauvin is in the second theme…from sentences as
In the second chapter, Anne begins her strange affair with Chauvin. Chauvin, or the second theme, is Anne's quest for the "cantabile." They meet again and again,

(D)Anne's return to her previous life corresponds to the end of a sonata.
-not the end of a Sonata(second chapter), it should be the first chapter…

See the sentence in paragraph 3
….a sonata, presenting and developing two contrasting themes in different keys--the first tonic, the second dominant

the final resolution comes in the form of a symbolic reenactment of the murder that occurs at the end of the first chapter:

And Anne returns permanently to her boring life.

(E)The murder in the first chapter echoes the "moderato" of the novel's title.

6. With which of the following statements would the author most likely agree?

(A)The musical form of the sonata is ideal for exploring the complexities of human feelings.
(B)Music is a more effective art form for expressing the duality of experience than literature.
(C)Unless a novel has a title and subject matter that suggest musical form, it cannot be "heard" by the reader.
(D)Novels with musical structures are interesting experiments but will not likely produce serious literature.
(E)Musical structures and techniques can be used to enhance the effectiveness of a literary work.

Can somebody help me with Q6
We can see traces why (E) IS CORRECT from sentences

Ironically, this technique that makes Moderato Cantabile more successful than The Waves as a "musical novel" may account for Duras' relative lack of success as a filmmaker.
In Q1, the correct answer is (C)show that the term "musical novel" does not have a clear, unambiguous meaning
so why cannot in Q6,(D) BE THE CORRECT ANSWER???( will not likely produce serious literature)….

OR MAYBE “musical novel does not have a clear, unambiguous meaning’’ do not necessarily mean “musical structures and techniques cannot be used to enhance the effectiveness of a literary work// will not likely produce serious literature.”…??

if (D) NOT BE THE CORRECT ANSWER
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts