Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619178 [18]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619178 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [3]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Re: Local phone companies have monopolies on phone service within their ar [#permalink]
Since this question resembles the "Must Be true" question type , we take for granted all the information provided in the text,ShankSouljaBoi already explained the question thoroughly , I will just add a small resume of the information :

"Local phone companies have monopolies" + "they can use the same cable to transmit cable television " = " cable television companies conclude that telephone companies have unfair advantage because the phone companies already make a profit in the phone sector "
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Local phone companies have monopolies on phone service within their ar [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The correct answer is Option C.

Lets first analyze the passage:

- Local phone companies have monopolies on phone service -> they do not have competition as far as providing phone service is concerned
- Cable TV can be transmitted using the same wires already in place for phones (owned by phone companies) -> phone companies have the infra to possibly enter the Cable TV market
- Cable TV companies:
> if telephone companies entered the Cable TV market, they would have an unfair advantage
> Because - they can subsidize their cable transmissions by the profits made thanks to the monopolies in phone service (i.e. they can sell cable service at a much cheaper rate, because they will be able to absorb the difference using the profits they made on the phone service)

Lets check the question stem:

On the basis of the information provided in the passage above, which of the following questions can be answered?

In other words, we need to find something that can definitely be inferred from the passage.

Lets check the options:

(A) Are phone companies as efficient as cable companies in providing reliable and inexpensive service?
The passage makes no mention of reliability of service. Hence, this question cannot be answered.

(B) If phone companies were allowed to provide cable service, would they want to do so?
The passage makes no mention about whether phone companies are interested in getting into the cable TV space. Hence, this question cannot be answered.

(C) Do the cable companies believe that the local phone companies make a profit on phone service?
Definitely correct.
Cable companies believe that phone companies can subsidize their cable TV offering thanks to the profit they make on phone service => they believe that the phone companies make a profit on phone service.

(D) Are local phone companies forbidden to offer cable service?
The passage makes no mention about whether phone companies are allowed to enter the cable TV space, or forbidden. Hence, this question cannot be answered.

(E) Is it expected that phone companies will have a monopoly on cable service?
Completely out of scope, not discussed anywhere in the passage. All we know is that they have a monopoly in the telephone space - we have no idea if they will have a monopoly on Cable service. Hence, this question cannot be answered.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
(A) Are phone companies as efficient as cable companies in providing reliable and inexpensive service? - the passage does not contain any information regarding the efficiency of phone companies providing cable service.
(B) If phone companies were allowed to provide cable service, would they want to do so?
- the passage does not contain any information regarding the preference of the phone company in setting up a cable service.
(C) Do the cable companies believe that the local phone companies make a profit on phone service? - yes. The cables companies do believe that local phone companies earn a profit from the existing phone services. This school of thought is perfectly reflected in the statement of the passage that reads "...., these telephone companies would have an unfair advantage, because their cable transmissions could be subsidized by the profits of their monopolies on phone service." Hence, (C) is the right answer choice.
(D) Are local phone companies forbidden to offer cable service? - the passage does not contain any information that could answer this question.
(E) Is it expected that phone companies will have a monopoly on cable service?
- what's mentioned in the passage is that phone companies have a monopoly over the phone services they provide. We do not have any information regarding whether these phone companies would wield monopolistic power over the cable industry as well.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts