Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 10:00 It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Love at First Sight [#permalink]
Kudos
jb32 wrote:
I visited several schools early on in the process that I now really have no interest in at all, Duke and UNC. UNC, I didn't like at all from the beginning. It really wasn't for me, and Duke I liked better, but it wasn't really right either. UCLA on the other hand, I really liked from the start. For Chicago I had butterflies pulling up to the campus, I was nervous when we 'got together' for the first time. I'm not sure how reputation of the school coincides with 'love at first sight'. I certainly wouldn't fall in love with Harvard at first glance because I really do not believe I could get in. What would be the point of loving the school if you could never attend? However, I certainly do love the school with the best reputation and outside shot of being admitted, so who knows? Maybe I'll decide to love the best school to show me some love!

Why do you think this is the case? Is it your career experience, extra-curricular activities, gpa, gmat...etc?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
jb32 wrote:
I would say for me that it really speaks to maturity and when the lightbulb went off. That probably occured two years or so ago. In college I was pretty immature and it showed in my GPA and lack of extra-curriculars. I never really saw the bigger picture until more recently. If I had a similar mindset back then to what I have now, I would certainly be looking at H/S/W, but alas, my record is probably not strong enough to get me in. Maybe if I have to reapply next year, then my record will be strong enough for H/S/W, but then my age will be working against me at H. I just can't seem to win, huh? :wink:

I see your point. Thank you for replying.

Age....people say it is just a number, but it is used as an excuse in so many ways. :?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
My largest emotional attachment is to Chicago GSB.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Thanks guys. There's so much talk lately about people coming back from schools and absolutely loving it, I was trying to confirm if you got that feeling with every visit.

Luckily while everyone else is preparing apps this fall, I've had lots of time to carve out exactly what I want.

It looks like I'll also get the opportunity to hit a lot of places during work trips, so I guess I'll continue with the strategy of visiting every school I can on a free trip and maybe not so many of the others. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
It was definitely love at first sight when I visited Berkeley last summer!!

I remember going to visit Stanford first and thinking "okay this is a nice campus" ... but I felt at home almost immediately upon arriving at Berkeley :-D It's something I am having a hard time articulating as part of my "Why Berkeley?" essay, but nevertheless Berkeley is definitely more "me."

I'm also very much looking forward to visiting Hanover next month for my Tuck interview. I attended undergrad at a smaller, rural school and really enjoyed the tight-knit community feel (I also grew up in a small town of ~5,000). It would be nice to spend a couple years on the east coast as well, close to some family in Boston.

Let's hope I will have a difficult decision to make come spring time :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
terp06 wrote:

Terp, If I recall correctly, you were debating applying to CBS ED. Out of curiosity, did you still consider CBS ED while having the emotional attachment to Chicago? I'm just curious to know how people reconcile "playing the odds" vs. finding the perfect school.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
kidro2001 wrote:
terp06 wrote:

Terp, If I recall correctly, you were debating applying to CBS ED. Out of curiosity, did you still consider CBS ED while having the emotional attachment to Chicago? I'm just curious to know how people reconcile "playing the odds" vs. finding the perfect school.

Hey,

You are right. I was only interested in applying to CBS ED to increase my chances of having a seat somewhere this year. I visited CBS about a month ago. I realized 2 things which backed me off ED: 1) I do not have to attend this year, and the economy will be almost certainly be better for 2012 graduates than 2011 ones. and 2) I really prefer Chicago GSB and I also did not get a good gut feeling about life in NYC as a student.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I visited several schools early on in the process that I now really have no interest in at all, Duke and UNC. UNC, I didn't like at all from the beginning. It really wasn't for me, and Duke I liked better, but it wasn't really right either. UCLA on the other hand, I really liked from the start. For Chicago I had butterflies pulling up to the campus, I was nervous when we 'got together' for the first time. I'm not sure how reputation of the school coincides with 'love at first sight'. I certainly wouldn't fall in love with Harvard at first glance because I really do not believe I could get in. What would be the point of loving the school if you could never attend? However, I certainly do love the school with the best reputation and outside shot of being admitted, so who knows? Maybe I'll decide to love the best school to show me some love!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

Agreed. Harvard would have counted as love at first sight for me, but it's sort of like a supermodel. You may as well get really drunk and try for it, but chances are she's gonna laugh at you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
^ LOL Terp.

thats funny. At least you are young and bold enough for the super model!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Agreed. Harvard would have counted as love at first sight for me, but it's sort of like a supermodel. You may as well get really drunk and try for it, but chances are she's gonna laugh at you.

You never know you may have a shot. After all she may be drunk herself and say yes. Worst case scenario she will reject you in front of a lot of other beautiful women. Who will later reject you also because she don't want to be the one to "accept" the one who got rejected. Then gossip magazines takes pictures of you for their new cover "Average person ask out supermodel."

Worth a shot :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I would say for me that it really speaks to maturity and when the lightbulb went off. That probably occured two years or so ago. In college I was pretty immature and it showed in my GPA and lack of extra-curriculars. I never really saw the bigger picture until more recently. If I had a similar mindset back then to what I have now, I would certainly be looking at H/S/W, but alas, my record is probably not strong enough to get me in. Maybe if I have to reapply next year, then my record will be strong enough for H/S/W, but then my age will be working against me at H. I just can't seem to win, huh? :wink:
GMAT Club Bot