It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M17-27

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41872

Kudos [?]: 128641 [0], given: 12181

M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:02
Expert's post
11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:15) correct 68% (01:14) wrong based on 152 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is the product of four consecutive even integers positive?


(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128641 [0], given: 12181

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41872

Kudos [?]: 128641 [0], given: 12181

Re M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:02
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:


First of all: the product of four consecutive even integers can be either 0 (when one of the eve integers is zero) or positive (when all integers are positive or when all integers are negative).

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20:

If the greatest term is \(\ge 8\), e.g. {2, 4, 6, 8 }, then the sum will be more than or equal to 20.

If the smallest term \(\le -4\), e.g. {-4, -2, 0, 2 }, then the sum won't be positive.

Hence this statement gives only TWO possible sets {0, 2, 4, 6 } and {-2, 0, 2, 4 } (\(sum \lt 20\) and \(product =0\)). The product of the terms of either of 2 sets is zero, so the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive. The product could be zero as well as positive. For example consider {0, 2, 4, 6 } (\(product = 0\)) and {2, 4, 6, 8 } (\(product=positive\)). Not sufficient.


Answer: A
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128641 [0], given: 12181

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2015
Posts: 35

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Schools: ISB '18
Re: M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 02:18
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


First of all: the product of four consecutive even integers can be either 0 (when one of the eve integers is zero) or positive (when all integers are positive or when all integers are negative).

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20:

If the greatest term is \(\ge 8\), e.g. {2, 4, 6, 8 }, then the sum will be more than or equal to 20.

If the smallest term \(\le -4\), e.g. {-4, -2, 0, 2 }, then the sum won't be positive.

Hence this statement gives only TWO possible sets {0, 2, 4, 6 } and {-2, 0, 2, 4 } (\(sum \lt 20\) and \(product =0\)). The product of the terms of either of 2 sets is zero, so the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive. The product could be zero as well as positive. For example consider {0, 2, 4, 6 } (\(product = 0\)) and {2, 4, 6, 8 } (\(product=positive\)). Not sufficient.


Answer: A


For (1), i would just assume, just to simplify, the integers to be x, x+2, x+4, x+6.
So, their sum will be (4x + 12).
Now (4x + 12) < 20.
This now follows the only two possible sets for x = 0 and x = -2, as pointed out by you.
Bunuel wrote:
TWO possible sets {0, 2, 4, 6 } and {-2, 0, 2, 4 } (\(sum \lt 20\) and \(product =0\))

I just feel better playing with the equations than the numbers directly. :)
_________________

It ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward;
how much you can take and keep moving forward.

That’s how winning is done!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2012
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 51

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 08:01
vivekgautam1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


First of all: the product of four consecutive even integers can be either 0 (when one of the eve integers is zero) or positive (when all integers are positive or when all integers are negative).

(1) The sum of these integers is positive but smaller than 20:

If the greatest term is \(\ge 8\), e.g. {2, 4, 6, 8 }, then the sum will be more than or equal to 20.

If the smallest term \(\le -4\), e.g. {-4, -2, 0, 2 }, then the sum won't be positive.

Hence this statement gives only TWO possible sets {0, 2, 4, 6 } and {-2, 0, 2, 4 } (\(sum \lt 20\) and \(product =0\)). The product of the terms of either of 2 sets is zero, so the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

(2) The product of the middle two of these integers is positive. The product could be zero as well as positive. For example consider {0, 2, 4, 6 } (\(product = 0\)) and {2, 4, 6, 8 } (\(product=positive\)). Not sufficient.


Answer: A


I went the equation route too. Felt comfortable with that.

Let the numbers be 2n , 2n+2 , 2n+4 , 2n+6 ( 4 consecutive even int)

1 says that sum is +ve but less than 20.

Hence 0 < 8n + 12 < 20
It gives -1.5 < n < 1

Hence n = 0,-1.
So we have 0 , 2 , 4 , 6 --> Prod = 0
or
-2,0,2,4 ---> Prod = 0

Hence st 1 is suff

St 2:
We only know middle numbers prod > 0.
So prod could be > or = 0.
Not suff

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 51

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jul 2016
Posts: 243

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 82

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 01:03
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. In many of your explanations, Zero is considered "neither positive nor negatice". Infact the answer hinges on this point.

Here you have considered Zero as postive, why?

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 82

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41872

Kudos [?]: 128641 [1], given: 12181

Re: M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 01:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bitun10 wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. In many of your explanations, Zero is considered "neither positive nor negatice". Infact the answer hinges on this point.

Here you have considered Zero as postive, why?


Where in the solution is 0 considered positive? That's not so.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128641 [1], given: 12181

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jul 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: M17-27 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 12:43
It says in the second stem that the product is positive. Zero is neither positive nor negative?
Correct me if i am wrong

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: M17-27   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 12:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M17-27

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.