Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [29]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [4]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [2]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [2]
Send PM
Re: Manhattan MGMAT 7th edition vs. 6th edition [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DinoPen wrote:
Hey bb

What are your thoughts on the newest MGMAT advanced quant book? Is it worth getting? I am looking to achieve a high score in the quant section.

Do you already have Q47? If/when you do, you can get it but it is a massive and hard book that often goes into questions that are impossible to solve in 2 mins.

If you don’t have a Q47/48 then not.

It is not a book you can use instead. It is the book you use in addition and after.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you so much for the review! bb
I am still a little confused about your final verdict on the 7th edition? As you mentioned it is slimmer and has lesser practice questions so would you recommend the 5th or 6th edition for the core quant and verbal books and maybe the 7th edition for the advanced quant and verbal?
I have both the 7th edition and the 5th edition and am confused about which books to use. Any help on this matter will be appreciated.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Well.... I just covered the Quant Section page by page (all 500-600 of them, though I did not read every word, just the headings). The first impression is a bit disappointing. But let me start with the good things about Quant first:

1. The books have gotten more serious and professional, which is good at the same it has removed the fun and adventurous aspects such as no more sample questions talking about aliens with multiple arms. Many of the exercises have been changed to resemble GMAT questions with answer
2. Structure is a bit easier to digest as there is 1 book for Quant and 1 for Verbal. Seems easy enough, right?
3. Some new questions/examples in Quant

Now the not so good things about Quant:
1 .The GMAT Roadmap book is no longer included in the bundle :( which I am guessing most people will not buy separately
2. It seems only a few chapters have been rewritten (more about that on Monday when I put together a detailed analysis).
3. Some of the chapters and appendixes have been dropped, which is unfortunate since those were some of the unique topics no other books cover such as terminating decimals, Geometry DS questions, or hard Word Problems. (more on what got dropped on Monday)
4. It seems the hardest and trickiest things that applied to those looking to score 50+ are gone

I will start publishing a detailed analysis book by book on Monday. But so far I think I like the old version better.
Thanks,
BB.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Kudos
bb

Great review.

Some thoughts on the observations.

1. The decision to cut down on the numbers of volumes/pages is probably a market-based decision. Very few people are willing to tote heavy volumes around, plus making them slim and consolidated will help keep the brand visible when people carry the books.

2. The decision to cut out the serious Q50+ content is probably also tied to market constraints. Most people who take the GMAT look to score in the number 70s/80s or low 90s. These scores suffice for most people to get into their desired programs (not the Top-10 MBA type programs though there are large exceptions there). If very difficult content is included, then that tends to dissuade such these demographics. Publishers do not want to scare people.

3. Personally, I welcome the removal of the "fun" parts -- the handwaving aliens and similar examples. A serious exam requires serious materials. This is not to say that inclusion of such examples will not appeal to some segments.

4. Regarding the deletion of edition numbers. This again was probably done with an eye to the future. Inclusion of edition numbers makes materials obsolete. People love to own/buy/use the latest and the shiniest even if many are aware that latest updates can be mostly cosmetic. Removing the year of the edition on the cover also helps to position delivery of future newer editions that could include different types of materials without the risk of becoming dated.

I agree with you and based on what you have described, I am also partial to the earlier works. However, I would prefer the newer slimmer consolidated ones for reasons of access, portability and "seriousness".

Look forward to more detailed observations. Thanks.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
At the end of the day, they did what they have done for the GRE guides: instead of 7 guides, they fuse them into two books.

Actually a diet on steroids.

Nothing new under the sun.

Regards
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here is the summary of changes with the page counts. I will also update the first post to include this revised information.

Summary: I feel the MGMAT books got simplified to be more mainstream, to be palatable to those looking for a 680 rather than a 700+ score. As mentioned before, it seems things have been simplified and shortened. Almost all of the 90th percentile+ items have been taken out. The purpose of those changes is not very clear but my guess perhaps MGMAT is planning to publish a separate Advanced book/book series? MGMAT already has the Advanced GMAT Quant but that book is quite different from the chapters that have been cut. A new version is coming out in December, and possibly will be revised to incorporate some of these cut chapters... that's my hope. The current Advanced Quant book is mostly a collection of very hard questions with helpful tips how to tackle them, like a case study with super hard questions. I think at the end of the day, the new edition presents a more focused and manageable option to test takers who are looking for a 680 as opposed to those who are shooting for a 750+ score (for those I would suggest the old edition). Perhaps my personal disappointing aspect of this edition is that it offers very little new content, substance, or practice.

Quant & Verbal Changes:
  • Overall, cut verbal content by 17% and Quant by 30% of page volume
  • Certain topics/chapters have been rearranged among the books. Usually it is the same information or very similar, just swapped out
  • The sequence of topics also changed, e.g. Geometry now goes last and Number properties before Geometry. I don't know that it matters really
  • Some of the harder questions have been simplified (e.g. instead of 168/24, it is now 96/64) likely to make them less calculation intensive
  • Quant problem sets now got questions with answer choices so they are more like GMAT questions, allowing picking numbers and back-solving.
  • The guides no longer suggest solving some of the questions AFTER finishing all guides. My guess students were not doing it perhaps
  • Some of the topics/chapters that previously had no practice questions, got them
  • DS strategies have been moved up earlier in the book
  • Many of the additional practice questions such as Repeating/terminating decimals in DFP's, Extra strateiges in Algegra, DS Word Problems in WP Book, the additional geometry practice and geometry DS chapter/practice, additional SC chapter at the end (pronouns and verbs extra)
  • Verbal questions got answer choices in many cases (though usually just 3 instead of 5 or sometimes 4). Not really sure why 3 or 4
  • Removed the symbol/logic shorthand table that was recommending certain symbols; too geeky? too hardcore?
  • Removed wrong answer analysis chapter in RC

Attachment:
page-summary-mgmat.png
page-summary-mgmat.png [ 20.31 KiB | Viewed 47727 times ]

IR Changes - COMING TOMORROW.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Kudos
Hello, is there any final verdict on which version of MGMAT Advanced Quant guide is better for someone scoring Q47?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Awesome... The beauty :inlove: :cool: :cool:

bb wrote:
Well, here is the first difference. I just got my new bundle delivered and it is significantly slimmer....
(6th Edition is on the left and new 7th edition is on the right)

Attachment:
mgmat 6th vs mgmat 7th.jpg
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
Brief note/opinion: the old (now) advanced quant guide is the only decent book out there which gathers the possible strategies to tackle advanced questions.

Instead to find out here and there, scattered on the internet or far and wide on this board, those concepts.

Even though, the questions used are specifically crafted to back-up the strategy/ies proposed to the students. Not always they show you a flexible yet diversified approach.

Nonetheless, it is still the only decent guide under this aspect.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Hey bb

What are your thoughts on the newest MGMAT advanced quant book? Is it worth getting? I am looking to achieve a high score in the quant section.

Originally posted by DinoPen on 18 Feb 2020, 19:26.
Last edited by DinoPen on 18 Feb 2020, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hey, is the book recommended for someone who scored V32 Q49? I'm looking for study materials to practice and uplift my scores, especially my verbal..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMATBanker12 wrote:
Thank you so much for the review!
I am still a little confused about your final verdict on the 7th edition? As you mentioned it is slimmer and has lesser practice questions so would you recommend the 5th or 6th edition for the core quant and verbal books and maybe the 7th edition for the advanced quant and verbal?
I have both the 7th edition and the 5th edition and am confused about which books to use. Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

I would like to know more about the 7th edition, I'll be grateful for any information. In general, such reviews are useful in any case. Thank you, keep sharing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Manhattan MGMAT 7th edition vs. 6th edition [#permalink]
Thank you very much bb for comprehensive review as always.
My only doubt is as follows
Does this review was based on comparison of 6th edition with books of 7th edition or with books + online content
I'm asking this because, major disadvantage is that some topics were not covered, though nothing can be done on simplified problems.
And some additional detailing was given on some topics in 7th edition, considering this is it still better to go with 6th edition?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
"And some additional detailing was given on some topics in 7th edition, considering this is it still better to go with 6th edition?"

Might be worth considering purchasing the specific 6th Edition (i.e. SC) you want to focus on if you feel there is value in the 7th that you don't want to lose.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 530 Q29 V34
Send PM
Hi,

I also noticed that my local bookstore also sell each books separately.
If I'm poor at Quant but quite confident at Verbal, should I just buy the quant book to save money?
Or should I still buy the whole bundle so I can enjoy the benefits of free 6 CAT tests and potentially need review on some other sections?
GMAT Club Bot