Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [17]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Booth '17
GRE 1: Q164 V149
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Many people read the 'National Daily' with the feeling that [#permalink]
Kudos
Never seen a worse OA..

Why is the editors local background a more important factor than the news a newspaper covers..
Also we donot know anything about the editor of the National Daily

How we define care for a city..dubious question with equally dubious answer choices
Moderators please mark it is a Debatable OA..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Eshan wrote:
papua wrote:
Dear prateekbhatt,

Can you please post the answer explanation.

I can't understand why "D. The editor-in-chief and all the other members of the editorial staff of the 'National Daily' have lived and worked in the city for ten years or more" refutes that the Local News is not a real voice of the people of the city. What if Local News Editor and other staff are living in the city for 20+ years ?

I think that B is the correct answer, cause if Local News devotes more pages to out-of-city news than the National Daily, it means that National Daily is more city oriented News provider and the argument is refuted.

Papua

Hi Papua,

IMO D is correct.

I hope you have already eliminated A, C and E and are left with B and D options. Here is what I think:

B: Let us say the both news paper have 20 pages each and both cover out-of-city news. As given in B, Local News devotes 2 pages on out-of-city news and National Daily devotes 3 pages on the same. However, National Daily devotes 10 pages from the remaining 17 pages on city news and other 7 on some kind of advertisements. In comparison, Local News devotes only 8 pages on city news and other 10 on advertisements. This will falsify their argument that they represent the voice of city people better.

D: The main argument that Local News uses is that the owner of National Daily cares less about the local news as he is not staying in the city. Option D refutes this argument directly by mentioning the people concerned and responsible for the National Daily news coverage (editor-in-chief and other staff members) are very well a member of the city and will care to cover the local news and that owner of National Daily is just the source of funding for this newspaper.

I hope this makes sense.

Kindly let me know if you still think B is better.

So by your logic there should not be any dictators, because dictators live in the same country and it is in their best interest to have a free society.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I think the key here is real voice of the people of the city.

The fact that the editors live in the city (answer D) best refutes the argument that they're not the "real voice of the people of the city".
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I think the answer should be D only .As the argument supposes that if the an individual is from out of town he would case less about the local news, thereby cannot be the real voice of people.

D attacks the premise more accurately by stating that workers of National Daily have been in the town for long time.

where as
B only states the proportion of outside news in local > that of National
but there can be a case where both have same number of pages of outside news.

I hope i cleared some doubt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
prateekbhatt wrote:
Many people read the 'National Daily' with the feeling that it is a standard newspaper that provides authentic news and uses good language. The 'Local News' claims that the 'National Daily' is owned by an out-of-town business syndicate that couldn't care less about local news or the people of the city. It claims that the 'Local News' is the real voice of the people of the city.

Which of the following most directly refutes the argument of the 'Local News'?

A-Nearly 40 percent of the readers of 'Local news' reside outside the city limits.

B-The 'Local News' usually devotes more of its pages to out-of-city news than does the 'National Daily'.

C-The 'National Daily' has been published in the city for a longer time than has the 'Local News'.

D-The editor-in-chief and all the other members of the editorial staff of the 'National Daily' have lived and worked in the city for ten years or more.

E-Over half of the advertising revenues of the 'Local News' comes from firms whose head quarters are located outside the city.

I think OA is not appropriate.
It assumes that a person who earlier lived in the city still cares about the people.
I think B is more appropriate .Thoughts please!.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Poor Quality Question. What is the source of this question?
I doubt that such type of questions where the OAs are so personal and can be interpreted in many ways will appear on the GMAT.
GMAT has a reputation of presenting Questions with crisp answer choices.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I am not able to understand that why D is better than B. E-gmat, or any other expert, please explain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
prateekbhatt wrote:
Many people read the 'National Daily' with the feeling that it is a standard newspaper that provides authentic news and uses good language. The 'Local News' claims that the 'National Daily' is owned by an out-of-town business syndicate that couldn't care less about local news or the people of the city. It claims that the 'Local News' is the real voice of the people of the city.

Which of the following most directly refutes the argument of the 'Local News'?

A-Nearly 40 percent of the readers of 'Local news' reside outside the city limits.

B-The 'Local News' usually devotes more of its pages to out-of-city news than does the 'National Daily'.

C-The 'National Daily' has been published in the city for a longer time than has the 'Local News'.

D-The editor-in-chief and all the other members of the editorial staff of the 'National Daily' have lived and worked in the city for ten years or more.

E-Over half of the advertising revenues of the 'Local News' comes from firms whose head quarters are located outside the city.

Both B and D have some flaws...
By POE ,B looks more apt than D
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM