Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
Onell wrote:
Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are those that boys experience.

(A) are those that boys experience

(B) what boys experience

(C) boys’ experience would

(D) boys’ stress patterns do

(E) stress patterns of boys

This question is based on Comparison and Structure.

The point of comparison in this sentence is that patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are the patterns of stress that boys experience. The comparison is complete and accurate in Option A because the pronoun ‘those’ refers to “patterns of stress”. So, A is the best of all the options.

The relative pronoun ‘what’ is used to begin a noun clause, so we could say that the clause beginning with ‘what’ acts as the antecedent or the subject itself. When an antecedent is already mentioned in the sentence (in this case, “patterns of stress”), we do not use the relative pronoun ‘what’ to refer to it. We use a demonstrative pronoun such as those, this etc. Since this option contains the relative pronoun ‘what’, Option B can be eliminated.

Option C compares patterns of stress with boys’ experience. Since the comparison is illogical, Option C can be eliminated.

The comparison implied by Option D is - the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than boys’ stress patterns do.
To make the comparison parallel, “patterns of stress that girls experience” should be compared with “patterns of stress that boys experience”, not “boys’ stress patterns”.
Furthermore, the verb ‘are’ cannot be compared with the verb ‘do’. The former implies a state of being and the latter an action. The phrase ‘do more likely’ makes no sense at all. So, Option D can be eliminated.

The definite article is missing in this option, so that affects parallelism. The lack of a verb also prevents the comparison from being complete. So, Option E can be eliminated.

Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
ThuP wrote:
Shouldn't it be:

"Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those that boys experience."

without (are) repeated? It makes me confused since those refer back to "the patterns of stress". I don't think we need to repeat the verb (are) here, do we?

You ask a good question. The repetition of a verb (are in this case) is optional in comparison sentences. However, if not repeating the verb creates an ambiguous sentence, then we have to repeat the verb.

Example when not repeating the verb is ok

Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Here, we don’t have to repeat are, since there is no ambiguity. So, we don’t need to say:

Plants are more efficient than are fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Example when not repeating the verb is not ok

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are those that boys experience.

Let us expand the sentence:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are patters of stress that boys experience.

Or

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than patters of stress that boys experience are (likely to result in depression).

If we omit the verb, then the sentence would be:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those that boys experience.

Or

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than patterns of stress that boys experience.

This sentence can be misinterpreted as:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than (in) patterns of stress that boys experience.

In other words, the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result

i) in depression than
ii) (in) patterns of stress that boys experience.

So, the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression; the patterns of stress that girls experience are less likely to result in patterns of stress that boys experience. However, this is clearly not the intended meaning.

The repetition of the verb are ensures that the sentence cannot be interpreted this way.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses comparison ambiguity, its applications and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Hello Sir,
How would the same sentence be written in case I were to omit the verb 'are' and use only "than those of". What are the structural changes I have to make?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vishalcv wrote:
How would the same sentence be written in case I were to omit the verb 'are' and use only "than those of". What are the structural changes I have to make?

Hi Vishal, if you have to omit the verb, then following is one way to articulate the sentence:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely than those that boys experience, to result in depression.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Hello,

So, if choice D were: "boys’ stress patterns are"., would it be correct ?

For me, it should be correct.

Thanks

EducationAisle wrote:
sheolokesh wrote:
I could understand the difference between A and D... Both are gramatically correct.
However I think there is nothing wrong in D... In fact D is more concise..
D: boys’ stress patterns do

This means that the stress patterns of girls more likely leading to depression than stress patterns of boys do(leading to depression)..

But please help me why A is recommended to D? For the sake of parallelism?

Hello! Let’s complete the intended sentence:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than the patterns of stress that boys experience are likely to result in.

A says:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those (patterns of stress) that boys experience are likely to result in.

With D, the sentence would be:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than boys’ stress patterns do.

So, if you compare this with the intended sentence, at the very least, do is trying to substitute for are likely to result in. Notice that are is an auxiliary verb.

I am pretty sure (unless someone can cite an example to the contrary) that do (and similarly did/does ) cannot substitute for auxiliary verbs. do/did/does can only substitute for main verbs. So, following would be correct:

He runs faster than his classmates do.
- do correctly substitutes for main verb runs

Following would be incorrect:

Jack is more successful than his brothers do.
- do cannot substitute for auxiliary verb is

The correct sentence would be:

Jack is more successful than his brothers are.

If you see any example that violates this, let’s discuss.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Naptiste wrote:
Hello,

So, if choice D were: "boys’ stress patterns are"., would it be correct ?

For me, it should be correct.

This would take care of the verb issue, but this modified version of D would still loose out to A on parallelism front:

Notice the perfect parallelism in A:

...patterns of stress that girls experience

is being compared with:

...those (patterns of stress) that boys experience
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate [#permalink]
Onell wrote:

3 things:
1) Patterns of stress (girls) and patterns of stress (boys) are being compared. (B) and (C) are out.
2) We are comparing not just the patterns themselves but how likely they result in depression. We need a verb. (E) is out.
3) "Do" vs. "Are" - the non-underlined portion mentions "are" - (A) is our winner.

(A) are those that boys experience

(B) what boys experience

(C) boys’ experience would

(D) boys’ stress patterns do

(E) stress patterns of boys
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate [#permalink]
thanks for writing about it! unfortunately, every second teenager is really stressed and this leads to terrible consequences (for example, my daughter had insomnia and we managed it only thanks to a psychotherapist. I recommend that you read about the signs of stress here. this will help you take your condition more seriously
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
I eliminated A because I tought that it refers back to girls, since girls is closest plural noun to those. What am I missing?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63670 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anonymoux wrote:
I eliminated A because I tought that it refers back to girls, since girls is closest plural noun to those. What am I missing?

Posted from my mobile device

Having multiple options for a pronoun isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. The GMAT is fairly lenient when it comes to that sort of thing, and there's certainly no rule that says that a pronoun MUST refer to the closest noun.

In this case, replacing "those" with "girls" makes absolutely no sense, so it's fairly obvious that "those" must refer to "patterns of stress" instead.

For more on pronoun ambiguity, check out this creaky old video or this newer, shorter one.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination - First, let's come out of the native vs non-native speaker split. If you are native, wonderful. But if you are not, don't consider that as a blocker. Try to understand the issue and logically address it. You must have mastered your native language wonderfully, so have the same approach and mindset here. Give it some practice and time, and see the results. Back to our question now.

(A) are those that boys experience - let's expand it. Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those (the patterns of stress) that boys experience are (likely to result in depression). We are comprising here the stress patterns of boys and girls and the relative likelihood of those patterns into depression (mind you, we are not comparing the likelihood of depression for one and some other likelihood for another - keep this in mind. It'll help to eliminate other options.)

(B) what boys experience - To understand the issue here, let's first understand the correct sentence.
The structure of the correct sentence is
"The patterns of stress that girls experience," so logically for comparison, what will you expect? "the patterns of stress that boys experience"? Right? Yes. The structure is you have a noun phrase, and then you have a relative clause introduced by "that" to elaborate on the stress or modify the noun "stress." But instead of having the same structure, we have "what boys experience," which is modifying what? Ideally, it would be "the patterns of stress," but the author beautifully removed that and left the noun clause introduced by "what." So, to consolidate our learnings

"The patterns of stress that girls experience" vs. "what boys experience" or let's see the structure.

"Noun phrase + relative clause to modify the noun" vs. " noun clause" modifying nothing. Which is fundamentally wrong.

In maths lingo, we are comparing 1=2. Is it correct? No. So how can this parallelism error be correct in a language, which, in this case, is English? Does that make sense?

(C) boys’ experience would - This shatters the parallelism, but on top, it also adds the hypothetical by "would," which ensures that this option becomes atrociously wrong.

(D) boys’ stress patterns do - "do" action verb doesn't replace the "are" helping verb or the verb of being.

(E) stress patterns of boys - I'm afraid that's wrong for two reasons.

1. Structure - let's look at the structure of the correct option to understand the drastic different pattern this option has.

On the left, we have "The patterns of stress that girls experience" - We have "the" definite article + noun (patterns) + preposition (of) + noun (stress) + relative clause to modify the noun "stress."

On the right side, we have "stress patterns of boys." We have the adjective "stress" - mind you, it's not a noun anymore that we modified with the relative clause in the earlier part - then we have the noun "patterns" + preposition (of) + noun (boys). So, to consolidate, we have

"The patterns of stress that girls experience" vs."stress patterns of boys." So, on one side, we have apples; on the other, we have oranges. Can they be parallel? No.

2. On the left side, the effect of stress patterns that girls experience results in "depression." The intended meaning is that the stress patterns that boys experience are less likely to result in the same outcome, which is "depression." Ok, so the outcome of the left side is more depression. On the right side, what is the outcome? Depression? No. Not mentioned here. It can be "they fell sick," "they watched a movie," or " they had a couple of drinks." You see, this is not just wrong but a big blunder. Options C and E are the worst of all. In option C, at least the issue is visible, but in option E, it's entangled, so unless we unpeel it on the surface, it looks okay; it's a classic deception.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts