GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 18:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:48) correct 44% (00:53) wrong based on 1574 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are those that boys experience.

(A) are those that boys experience

(B) what boys experience

(C) boys’ experience would

(D) boys’ stress patterns do

(E) stress patterns of boys

Originally posted by Onell on 22 Mar 2011, 23:26.
Last edited by Bunuel on 28 Sep 2018, 04:26, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
G
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 07:17
ThuP wrote:
Shouldn't it be:

"Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those that boys experience."

without (are) repeated? It makes me confused since those refer back to "the patterns of stress". I don't think we need to repeat the verb (are) here, do we?

You ask a good question. The repetition of a verb (are in this case) is optional in comparison sentences. However, if not repeating the verb creates an ambiguous sentence, then we have to repeat the verb.

Example when not repeating the verb is ok

Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Here, we don’t have to repeat are, since there is no ambiguity. So, we don’t need to say:

Plants are more efficient than are fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Example when not repeating the verb is not ok

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are those that boys experience.

Let us expand the sentence:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are patters of stress that boys experience.

Or

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than patters of stress that boys experience are (likely to result in depression).

If we omit the verb, then the sentence would be:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those that boys experience.

Or

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than patterns of stress that boys experience.

This sentence can be misinterpreted as:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than (in) patterns of stress that boys experience.

In other words, the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result

i) in depression than
ii) (in) patterns of stress that boys experience.

So, the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression; the patterns of stress that girls experience are less likely to result in patterns of stress that boys experience. However, this is clearly not the intended meaning.

The repetition of the verb are ensures that the sentence cannot be interpreted this way.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses comparison ambiguity, its applications and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email-id, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2011, 01:02
I think the answer is A

comparison is between:
Patterns of stress that girls experience and
Patterns of stress that boys exoerience.

also, patterns are more likely or less likely to result in depression
and, stress is what boys and girls experience.

In B and C patterns are being compared to stress, hence rejected
D introduces the word 'do'

A is most parallel in contruction.. so I think i will choose A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2011, 23:46
Hi

Please find the explanation below:

The sentence aims to compare the 'patterns of stress that girls experience' to 'the patterns of stress that boys experience' and make a conclusion that the former can most likely result in depression.
Note that the structures being compared should always be parallel and at the same level.

For this reason, 'patterns of stress that girls experience' should be compared to 'those that boys experience'. And option A clearly mentions that the boys experience is less likely to result in depression. Hence option A is the correct answer.

We cannot choose option B because it does not provide a clear comparison between the 'patterns of stress that girls experience' and the 'patterns of stress that boys experience'. It just tends to ignore the fact that the boys experience is less likely to result in depression by omitting the word 'are' before 'what'.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:04
What is wrong with E?
Same things are being compared here also ...

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 10:28
The comparison in E is ambiguous.

Let's look at the main comparison here. Plugging in E yields:
The patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than the stress patterns of boys.

There is no verb attached to "the stress patterns of boys" assure that the likelihoods of resulting in depression are compared.

So two interpretations are possible: the stress patterns of boys "are" also likely to result in depression (but not as much as those of girls are), or
The stress patterns of girls can cause either depression or the stress patterns of boys.

Option A resolves the ambiguity by including the verb.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 15:55
Shouldn't it be:

"Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those that boys experience."

without (are) repeated? It makes me confused since those refer back to "the patterns of stress". I don't think we need to repeat the verb (are) here, do we?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2014, 17:44
Wow.!!! Thank you so much EducationAisle. I wish I could give you 100 kudos for this post.

Thank you for sharing !!!
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2014, 04:34
ThuP wrote:
Wow.!!! Thank you so much EducationAisle. I wish I could give you 100 kudos for this post.

Thank you for sharing !!!

Thanks for your kind words.

Have mailed you the section on Comparisons.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2014, 15:46
I could understand the difference between A and D... Both are gramatically correct.
However I think there is nothing wrong in D... In fact D is more concise..
D: boys’ stress patterns do

This means that the stress patterns of girls more likely leading to depression than stress patterns of boys do(leading to depression)..

But please help me why A is recommended to D? For the sake of parallelism?
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 06:44
sheolokesh wrote:
I could understand the difference between A and D... Both are gramatically correct.
However I think there is nothing wrong in D... In fact D is more concise..
D: boys’ stress patterns do

This means that the stress patterns of girls more likely leading to depression than stress patterns of boys do(leading to depression)..

But please help me why A is recommended to D? For the sake of parallelism?

Hello! Let’s complete the intended sentence:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than the patterns of stress that boys experience are likely to result in.

A says:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than those (patterns of stress) that boys experience are likely to result in.

With D, the sentence would be:

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate that the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than boys’ stress patterns do.

So, if you compare this with the intended sentence, at the very least, do is trying to substitute for are likely to result in. Notice that are is an auxiliary verb.

I am pretty sure (unless someone can cite an example to the contrary) that do (and similarly did/does ) cannot substitute for auxiliary verbs. do/did/does can only substitute for main verbs. So, following would be correct:

He runs faster than his classmates do.
- do correctly substitutes for main verb runs

Following would be incorrect:

Jack is more successful than his brothers do.
- do cannot substitute for auxiliary verb is

The correct sentence would be:

Jack is more successful than his brothers are.

If you see any example that violates this, let’s discuss.

Thanks,
Ashish

Manager
Manager
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 01:11
Hello again mikemcgarry,
I picked A. I could eliminate B, C and D.
I picked A, as i saw it has followed the same structure, but it seems to me that E has the same meaning. I know I am wrong, just can't find out how....

Respect....

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 11:01
nahid78 wrote:
Hello again mikemcgarry,
I picked A. I could eliminate B, C and D.
I picked A, as i saw it has followed the same structure, but it seems to me that E has the same meaning. I know I am wrong, just can't find out how....

Respect....

Dear nahid78,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Choice (E) does have the same meaning as (A), but choice (E) is redundant and awkward, whereas (A) is elegant. Choice (A) wins easily---a much better answer.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 12:23

We are looking for an option that properly compare stress that girls experience vs. stress that boys experience

A are those that boys experience ==> Correct - Stress of boys is correctly compared with Girls
B what boys experience ==> Patterns are being compared to stress
C boys’ experience would color=#ed1c24]==> Patterns are being compared to stress[/color]
D boys’ stress patterns do ==> do cannot be the appropriate linking verb
E stress patterns of boys ==> missing verb form

Hence, Answer is A

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 20:25
Hi Experts,
Any reason of choosing A over E? It seems those and that are unnecessary here.
WR,
Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 08:01
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
Any reason of choosing A over E? It seems those and that are unnecessary here.
WR,
Arpit

Dear adkikani,

My friend, did you read my post on the thread from February 14, 2017? I addressed this very question. As a general rule, it's very good practice to read through the entire post before asking a question that has already been discussed. Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 09:20
Hi mikemcgarry
As a matter of fact, I did go through your explanations but still
find that those and that are un-necessary in option A.
In fact we have contrasting views since I find E to be more precise.
Let me know gaps in my understanding.
WR,
Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 10:26
A are those that boys experience - Correct
B what boys experience - illogical comparison - comparison of patterns of stress with boys experience
C boys’ experience would - illogical comparison - comparison of patterns of stress with boys' experience
D boys’ stress patterns do - usage of do
E stress patterns of boys - awkward

Answer A

The sentence is making a comparison, so we have to make sure the comparison makes logical sense and is parallel.

Part of the comparison is girls' stress patterns, so I need to mention stress patterns of boys. B and C are out. (A uses the pronoun "those" to refer to stress patterns, so it stays in.)

Also, I'm specifically comparing how likely the two different patterns are to result in depression- it's not just a straight comparison between different patterns, but the effects of the different patterns - so the comparison needs to indicate this too. This is likely going to be accomplished via a verb, so E is out.

That leaves me with A and D. A uses the same verb in the same tense ("are") while D introduces a new verb ("do"). A also follows a similar format for the rest: "patterns of stress that girls experience" and "those that boys experience." D doesn't. A is more parallel, so that's what I would choose.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 18:20
adkikani wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry
As a matter of fact, I did go through your explanations but still
find that those and that are un-necessary in option A.
In fact we have contrasting views since I find E to be more precise.
Let me know gaps in my understanding.
WR,
Arpit

Dear Arpit adkikani,

My friend, this is a subtle matter. I don't know whether English is your first language, but this choice between (A) & (E) certainly could be perplexing to a non-native speaker. Here's everything after the word "that" in choice (A)
(A) . . . the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than are those that boys experience.
The word "those" is necessary: it's a demonstrative pronoun standing in for "the patterns of stress." The word "that" is not only necessary as a relative pronoun beginning a noun-modifying clause, but it also anchors the parallelism by reflecting the previous "that" (before the word "girls"). This presents us with perfectly parallel endings with the matching noun-modifying clauses "that girls experience . . . that boys experience." This is elegant and well-written, and not a single iota of it is unnecessary.

By contrast, here's (E):
(E) . . . the patterns of stress that girls experience are more likely to result in depression than stress patterns of boys
To the ears of native English speakers, this is a major train wreck. Notice that the definite article "the" is missing, which adds to the awkwardness. Note that, in contrast to (A), there is not even the vaguest attempt to construct a mirrored pattern of matching. This sounds stunted and unnatural. I can see that someone whose first language is not English might be tempted to mistake this construction for concision. The GMAT SC is so challenging, because these writers excel at creating combinations of words that might sound plausible if you don't know the language well but which simply sound off if you are a native speaker. There is often something suspect about putting two nouns together ("stress" + "patterns"), especially if these two nouns were not put together in this way in the first branch of the parallelism. The phrase "the patterns of stress that girls experience" sounds academic and formal, and the phrase "the stress patterns of boys" sounds casual, perhaps as one might see in advertising; this juxtaposition, in corresponding branches of the parallelism, creates a kind of mismatch in level of formality. Add to this that (E) completely omits the definite modifier: that absence makes (E) clankingly awkward. There is absolutely no way (E) could be correct.

My friend, does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 01:40
A are those that boys experience -Correct. "than are patterns of stress that boys experience" --> correct usage
B what boys experience -Wrong.
C boys’ experience would - Wrong.
D boys’ stress patterns do - instead of "do" are is needed to maintain correct comparison
E stress patterns of boys - "are" is missing, making the comparison unambiguous

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 01:40

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Many teenagers undergo stress, but results of a recent study indicate

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap