Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Free tests a little too hard? [#permalink]
You also got Q49 mate, and you find them hard?! That makes me feel good! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Skag55 wrote:
I started this thread just to get people's opinions really...

I've done a couple of MGMAT math tests, in the Free test area of Gmat Club's, it's got 700+ questions. Although, I've found most of them ridiculously hard, or to put it better, impossible to solve in 2mins... I don't understand, is it me or these questions are indeed too hard and they're merely for practice and not so much to gauge your skills?

Yes they are hard ...but scoring algorithm of mgmat is fairly accurate...so u can rely on mgmat cats ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I find them hard. But they are hard by design.

My question is, what % or quant score are 700 level questions? Not just on teh gmat tests but the forum questions too.
Does 700 level quant mean 89th% like the regular 200-800 ranking would be?

I ask because my undestanding of a CAT is that whatever difficulty you end on is your final score. If you are getting 50% of level 700 questions right, your final score should end up roughly around 700. Would your score not be 89th% (or Q50)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mistablair,

There are a couple of different "ideas" here, so I'll give you some information/perspective on what I think will help you get a better understanding about what you're asking.

First off, a "700" currently represents about the 90th percentile overall. You can actually earn a 700 on Test Day in a variety of ways, so you should NOT think of this as "earning a 700 in Quant and earning a 700 in Verbal."

Second, percentiles vary, but Scaled Scores do not. For most Test Takers, a Q49 is the highest that they'll ever score in the Quant (even though some will score higher) - it's a fantastic performance, but as a percentile it's been slowly dropping over the years (these days, it's right around the 81st percentile - which makes it "look" like it's not amazing, but it REALLY is). This is meant to remind you that percentiles change based on how everyone else is performing, so you shouldn't worry too much about that. Look at your Scaled Scores and any silly/little mistakes that you're making - the GMAT will give you the score that you EARN - the percentiles are just to show you where you are "in line."

Third, the scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complex than you realize. There are a number of factors that will impact your score, so focusing on "700-level" questions is a rather limited way of trying to improve. At that scoring level, the GMAT becomes really "sensitive" to silly/little mistakes, so you might find it more worthwhile to take a good look at every question you're getting wrong, figure out WHY you're getting those questions wrong and then focus on fixing all of the little things first.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MGMAT Quant Difficulty [#permalink]
Hello All,

I have a question about MGMAT's quant section. I have taken 4 CAT's my quant scores have steadily improved from Q40 to Q47. I feel like i have a much better grasp of quant then when i started, i have put a lot of study time in. My question is how reflective is the MGMAT quant score to the actual GMAT quant section. I know MGMAT is "harder" just trying to get peoples opinion on how much harder. The last CAT i took i got Q47, the test had 25 - 700-800 level questions, from what i understand this is not indicative of the actual test.

I understand there isn't a concrete answer to the question. Just looking for some insight.

Thank You.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Quant Difficulty [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Asemonick,

Have you taken any of the GMAC CATs yet? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Since the Official Scoring Algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. That having been said, the MGMAT CATs will provide a reasonable assessment of your abilities IF you use the CATs correctly.

1) Are you still finishing sections early when you take your CATs?
2) Have you set an Official Test Date yet?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MGMAT Quant Difficulty [#permalink]
Rich,

thank you for yet another quick response. Gmat club is such a great resource. Ive gotten much better with time management, but still room to improve, this has helped to eliminated some of the "dumb" mistakes. Just trying to see how this score stacks up, seemed like an abundance of tough questions during mgmat quant tests. Plan on taking a gmat prep CAT tomorrow to compare. I still haven't scheduled a test, it is something i really need to do. My work schedule has been a bit crazy lately. I have a few business trips coming up which is making it difficult to commit to a date.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A quick update from yesterday. I took Gmat prep CAT and got Q49. Still some silly mistakes to clean up but Q50 or 51 doesn't seem impossible anymore. The biggest difference between GMAT Prep and MGMAT is the amount of difficult questions. GMAT prep has just as difficult of questions just not the same amount. Officially time to focus on Verbal.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts