It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 13:42
Hi Experts, i have a query can we not eliminate abc on the basis of that as we always use where when addressing location?
1 more thing what is the anticident of this predator?
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Re: Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 21:15
In the correct answer option E, the mention is of wolves whereas in the non-underlined portion the reference to "this predator" seems confusing to me.
This predator is singular and wolves is plural.
Can anybody clarify please?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 1133 [2] , given: 344

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
Hi Experts, i have a query can we not eliminate abc on the basis of that as we always use where when addressing location?

Good question, shalabhg27. I don't think that the GMAT is particularly rigid on this. Sure, if you use the word "where", it would have to modify a place or location -- but you could use "that" to modify a location, too.

• The restaurant that serves a Polish buffet is one of Chicago's most legendary eateries.
  • Someday, I want to live in a country that has a reasonable health care system.

Both of these seem completely acceptable to me, even though "that" modifies a location in each case ("restaurant" and "country", respectively). So I wouldn't say that "where" is necessary when you're modifying a place or location.

Quote:
1 more thing what is the anticident of this predator?

Quote:
In the correct answer option E, the mention is of wolves whereas in the non-underlined portion the reference to "this predator" seems confusing to me.
This predator is singular and wolves is plural.
Can anybody clarify please?

Ugh -- this part is trickier, and I don't really like what the GMAT has done here. First, you don't technically need an antecedent for "this predator", since "this predator" isn't a pronoun. But the singular/plural thing is a little bit funky: the sentence would probably be a little bit better if (E) said "these predators" (to match the word "wolves") instead of "this predator."

But to be fair, I don't think that the singular/plural issue is all that much of a crime in this case. Again, "this predator" isn't a pronoun; if "this predator" were changed to "it" in (E), then the answer choice would be inarguably wrong, since "it" can't refer to "wolves." But since "this predator" isn't a pronoun, I think the GMAT would argue that there's no ambiguity here: we still easily understand what, exactly, "this predator" is. Again, I don't love it, but I see their point.

More importantly: remember that the GMAT never asks you to identify a perfect answer choice. They're asking you to identify the best of the five options. Or the least crappy of the five options. As plenty of others have suggested, there are more severe problems with the other four answer choices -- and the little singular/plural issue in (E) is pretty minor by comparison.

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1133 [2] , given: 344

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 62

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 09:00
Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population, and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep.

A. that still has a sizable wolf population, and where That is referring to States and it must have ‘have’ instead of ‘has’

B. that still has a sizable wolf population, where same as A

C. that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where same as A

D. where the population of wolves is still sizable; It is changing he meaning. As per the original sentence we must convey the meaning that those states have two things. But this sentence conveys only one things and makes the other thing as a part of Independent clause. Hence, incorrect.

E. where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where

Good Luck

Kudos [?]: 634 [0], given: 62

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 19:16
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 198

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 03:41
Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that still has a sizable wolf population, and where this predator remains the archenemy of cattle and sheep.

(A) that still has a sizable wolf population, and where
(B) that still has a sizable wolf population, where
(C) that still has a sizable population of wolves, and where
(D) where the population of wolves is still sizable;
(E) where there is still a sizable population of wolves and where

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 198

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 77

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 05:39
use of proper conjunction,,,clearly E wins

ans E

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 38

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
Choice D woefully misses the conjunction that bridges Minnesota with the un-underlined part of the sentence, resulting in a debate as to what purpose the second part serves after separated from the main part, by a semicolon.

In B, doesn’t the pronoun where, by virtue of its placement, modify population, which is wrong?

Though wordy, by using where for both the parts of the sentence and also by employing the more customary population of wolves rather than the odd wolf population, E seems to stand out IMO

Hey daagh , is 'population of wolves' better than 'wolf population' ? I am considering the "THIS" right after the underlined part.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 38

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 06:55
rekhabishop wrote:
daagh wrote:
Choice D woefully misses the conjunction that bridges Minnesota with the un-underlined part of the sentence, resulting in a debate as to what purpose the second part serves after separated from the main part, by a semicolon.

In B, doesn’t the pronoun where, by virtue of its placement, modify population, which is wrong?

Though wordy, by using where for both the parts of the sentence and also by employing the more customary population of wolves rather than the odd wolf population, E seems to stand out IMO

Hey daagh , is 'population of wolves' better than 'wolf population' ? I am considering the "THIS" right after the underlined part.

rekhabishop ,,,, the term ' wolf population ' can mean something else too... population of wolves clears the air

certainly recommend the second one..

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 38

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 08:55
mohshu wrote:
rekhabishop wrote:
daagh wrote:

rekhabishop ,,,, the term ' wolf population ' can mean something else too... population of wolves clears the air

certainly recommend the second one..

What would be the other interpretation of wolf population? and does this have nothing to do with the "this" after underlined part?

Sorry for too many question. :p

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 114

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 18:10
BPHASDEU wrote:
where and where - should be parallel

Two parallel clauses often both start with subordinators in order to remove ambiguity. In this instance, the subordinator must be repeated for both clauses!

Okay, so my understanding is that where is functioning as an adjective in this sentence, describing Minnesota. What does that mean for the requirements of parallelism in this sentence? Any tips, GMATNinja?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 114

Re: Minnesota is the only one of the contiguous forty-eight states that st   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2017, 18:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 51 posts ]