Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [190]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [42]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [11]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as high as an [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
How do we know that "upward as high as an aircraft can fly" is an adverbial phrase and not an "adjective". I thought "upward" can act as adjective, and so can modify a "noun", ie "extent".

Example: The upward trend in revenue this year looks promising.
=> "upward", which is adjective, modifies "trend", which is a noun.

Similarly, in the given sentence, "upward" should be able to modify the noun "extent", and the phrase "as high as an aircraft can fly" should modify "upward".

What am I missing here?

There are a couple of issues with this. First of all, a nation's airspace isn't, itself, an "extent". You could refer to the extent of the airspace, but the airspace does not equal the extent. In other words, the "extent" is a quality or characteristic of the airspace -- it isn't the airspace itself.

Second, even though something like a trend can in fact be upward, it doesn't make sense for an extent to be upward. Again, the extent is a quality of the airspace -- the area or space that it includes. The area of the airspace it isn't moving in an upward direction -- the area of the airspace is fixed (right above the nation itself), and that airspace isn't really moving, changing, or growing (barring any border changes).

Similarly, you wouldn't say that the extent of a skyscraper IS upward; instead, you would say that the skyscraper EXTENDS upward. By the same token, you could describe a skyscraper as EXTENDING upward -- and that's pretty much what we have in (A).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as high as an [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
sayiurway wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
kaustavkarmakar wrote:
GMATNinja

Please can you help out in this

I was sure about "Regard as" to be the right usage and got stuck b/w A & B

According to me, I thought "airspace" should be followed with a noun form such as "as an extension " or similar phrase

Thanks

"To regard" just means "to consider" or "to appraise", so it's perfectly reasonable to follow this construction with either a noun or an adjective. For example, I can write "I regard my daughter's tendency to eat egg shells out of the garbage as problematic." Here, I'm regarding a tendency as "problematic," which is an adjective. That's fine.

Or I could write, "I regard my daughter's tendency to eat egg shells out of the garbage as a problem." Now I'm regarding the tendency as a "problem," which is a noun. That's okay too. So we're not basing our decision on whether whether we need an adjective or a noun. We're basing it on what makes more sense in this context.

In (B) we have "Most nations regard their airspace as the extent upward as high as an aircraft can fly." Nations see their airspace as an "extent upward?" The "extent" is as high as the aircraft can fly? This is illogical. It makes far more sense to write that the airspace is extending upward as high as the aircraft fly.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja
Are you saying that "extending" is adjective in this OA? It seems more like a verb.
Can you elaborate?
Tks

The ‘ing’ form of a verb is called either a participle or a gerund.

The participle form can act as a verb when it is preceded by a helping/auxiliary verb.
E.g.: The college is extending the summer break. (Here, the combination of the helping verb 'is' before the 'ing' form makes the 'ing' form a verb.)

The participle form can also act as an adjective. When it is used as such, it is not preceded by a helping/auxiliary verb.
E.g.: The building has a beautiful spire extending upward from the high roof. (here, the participle form ‘extending’ describes the spire.)

‘Extending’ is thus the participle form of the verb ‘extend' that acts as an adjective in the given sentence.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Bookmarks
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 38: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as high as an aircraft can fly; no specific altitude, however, has been officially recognized as a boundary.

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

Choice A is best because it is idiomatically correct; regard, when its meaning indicates seeing, looking at, or conceiving of something in a particular way, is paired with as in the idiomatic construction regard X as y, Choices C, D, and E violate the regard, , , as construction, In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed,
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
aragonn wrote:
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 38: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Most nations regard their airspace as extending upward as high as an aircraft can fly; no specific altitude, however, has been officially recognized as a boundary.

(A) as extending

(B) as the extent

(C) to be an extent

(D) to be an extension

(E) to extend

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

Choice A is best because it is idiomatically correct; regard, when its meaning indicates seeing, looking at, or conceiving of something in a particular way, is paired with as in the idiomatic construction regard X as y, Choices C, D, and E violate the regard, , , as construction, In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed,

In choices B, C, and D, the nouns extent and extension cannot be modified by the adverbial phrase that follows: a verb form such as extending is needed -- Can someone explain this part of the OE?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , daagh , generis , others - please enlighten
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM