Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 04:14 It is currently 15 May 2024, 04:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10054 [15]
Given Kudos: 4546
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GRE 1: Q168 V157
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hi All,

Background and Nationality:-

First person from the family to complete high-school.

Undergrad Information:-

Completed BBA in Banking and Insurance form Pokhara University (Affeliated College) with GPA 3.7 out of 4.

GMAT:-

700 (Q49 V36)

Work Experience and Leadership:-

-14 months in Business Development and Operations in National Public Limited Company and 2 years now in Financial Analysis in local company (not renowned).
-Initiated, organized, coordinated and hosted 3 impactful events, among others, in the college during undergrad.
-Part time tutor of Tutor of high school level Accounts, Finance, Business Mathematics & Statistics.

Community and Others;-

-Voluntered with local government to aware public against open defication.
-Taught 50 plus poor students free of cost.
-Participated and won some competitions during college.

Post Master Goals:-
-Conlulting, Investment Banking, Corporate Finance.

Other:-
Before I decide on a program and start my applicatin, I have to pass through a series of contradictions and confusions:-

Since I have mediocre experience, I assume that I may not be able to crack post MBA Dream Job (consulting or IB), so I am planning to do MS Finance and get into a entry level role and move up over time. Further, I have a below average finacial background, due to which, I am eying for an program that provides me with decent, if not full, scholarships. I also want to take chance with the top programs, like vanderbilt, cause if I get admitted with some scholarhips, and pay rest with loans (that does not require collateral as I do not have one), I may get into a decent firm and payback the loan easily; its just my assumption though. However, I can't afford to take loan for an average program and can't take loan that requires me to payback before I start to earn. Further, I do not want to study in non-English speaking nation, however I can be flexible if language won't be a huge issue (for countries like France).

Given my background and above confusion, can you please suggest some best programs I should target (good programs, cheaper and the ones providing good scholarhips) and also answer the following questions? If all sorted, I will have clear goal in mind and will be able to focus on my application.

1. Is it harder to get scholarships in MBA than in MS Finance? And do big universities provide more funding than small universities?

2. Do I have a chance to get good scholarships in average program if I have the profile of above average university?

3. Will I get the diversity advantage for being an applicant from Nepal or will I be counted under South Asian applicant?

3. Should I apply to the program in the country where I want to settle in future? For eg; is it plausible if I want to settle in Australia in future, but want to get education and experience in USA before moving to Australia.

4. Is it okay to take spouse with you if you plan to do MS or MBA in the USA? Is the USA a good option if you you are married and want settlement?

5. Is it okay to tweak or exaggerate you work experience in resume, while being inside the domain?

Thank you.
Please answer, though it may take time for you, because I really need to clear this confusion and decide the business schools and the program to apply.

Regards,
tndvekas760
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
Send PM
Re: MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Hello everyone,
I have already applied to some schools, but I am not confident in my profile, so can you please evaluate it.

Im 23, graduated from a Swiss university (transferred to Switzerland from UIC). I was born in Kazakstan, but lived in Russia before moving to the US for uni. I am a Russian citizen.
GMAT - 780
GPA - 3.3 (I feel like it will ruin the application)
Worked as a financial analyst in consulting, had an internship as an investment analyst.
In 2020 I opened a charity foundation in Moscow, Russia. The charity foundation still operates.
In 2020 I opened an IT outsourcing startup that closed in 2022.
In 2018 I opened a moving company in Chicago that closed one year later.
Career goals: work in finance for some time, and build an international payment system.

I am applying to all Ivy's, HEC, Stanford, Booth, Oxford, Imperial, LBS, LSE.
What do you think are my chances of getting into those programs. I am applying to MBA and Masters programs.
Thank you.
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
msimon26 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have already applied to some schools, but I am not confident in my profile, so can you please evaluate it.

Im 23, graduated from a Swiss university (transferred to Switzerland from UIC). I was born in Kazakstan, but lived in Russia before moving to the US for uni. I am a Russian citizen.
GMAT - 780
Worked as a financial analyst in consulting, had an internship as an investment analyst.
In 2020 I opened a charity foundation in Moscow, Russia. The charity foundation still operates.
Career goals: work in finance for some time, and build an international payment system.

What do you think are my chances of getting into those programs. I am applying to MBA and Masters programs.
Thank you.

Hey MSimon26,
Other than the CGPA, I would say you check all the boxes that the Universities want in their candidates. The good part is the GMAT will more offset your low GPA.
Also, would like to see your ECs, interests and any volunteering etc

Ping on my LinkedIn to connect and to schedule a free 45 min session to clarify your doubts and discuss your profile...
Admission Consultant
Send PM
tndvekas760 wrote:
Hi All,

Background and Nationality:-

First person from the family to complete high-school.

Undergrad Information:-

Completed BBA in Banking and Insurance form Pokhara University (Affeliated College) with GPA 3.7 out of 4.

GMAT:-

700 (Q49 V36)

Work Experience and Leadership:-

-14 months in Business Development and Operations in National Public Limited Company and 2 years now in Financial Analysis in local company (not renowned).
-Initiated, organized, coordinated and hosted 3 impactful events, among others, in the college during undergrad.
-Part time tutor of Tutor of high school level Accounts, Finance, Business Mathematics & Statistics.

Community and Others;-

-Voluntered with local government to aware public against open defication.
-Taught 50 plus poor students free of cost.
-Participated and won some competitions during college.

Post Master Goals:-
-Conlulting, Investment Banking, Corporate Finance.

Other:-
Before I decide on a program and start my applicatin, I have to pass through a series of contradictions and confusions:-

Since I have mediocre experience, I assume that I may not be able to crack post MBA Dream Job (consulting or IB), so I am planning to do MS Finance and get into a entry level role and move up over time. Further, I have a below average finacial background, due to which, I am eying for an program that provides me with decent, if not full, scholarships. I also want to take chance with the top programs, like vanderbilt, cause if I get admitted with some scholarhips, and pay rest with loans (that does not require collateral as I do not have one), I may get into a decent firm and payback the loan easily; its just my assumption though. However, I can't afford to take loan for an average program and can't take loan that requires me to payback before I start to earn. Further, I do not want to study in non-English speaking nation, however I can be flexible if language won't be a huge issue (for countries like France).

Given my background and above confusion, can you please suggest some best programs I should target (good programs, cheaper and the ones providing good scholarhips) and also answer the following questions? If all sorted, I will have clear goal in mind and will be able to focus on my application.

1. Is it harder to get scholarships in MBA than in MS Finance? And do big universities provide more funding than small universities?

2. Do I have a chance to get good scholarships in average program if I have the profile of above average university?

3. Will I get the diversity advantage for being an applicant from Nepal or will I be counted under South Asian applicant?

3. Should I apply to the program in the country where I want to settle in future? For eg; is it plausible if I want to settle in Australia in future, but want to get education and experience in USA before moving to Australia.

4. Is it okay to take spouse with you if you plan to do MS or MBA in the USA? Is the USA a good option if you you are married and want settlement?

5. Is it okay to tweak or exaggerate you work experience in resume, while being inside the domain?

Thank you.
Please answer, though it may take time for you, because I really need to clear this confusion and decide the business schools and the program to apply.

Regards,
tndvekas760

Hi tndvekas760,
Your answers appended to your questions:

Ans: Scholarships are MORE in MBA, but higher is the competition too. The degree of "difficulty" or competitiveness increases with the desirability of the program (MBA generally being more competitive). The "big"ness of a University is not necessarily reflective of their higher funding. For example, there are Universities within the top 30 ranks that give 100% scholarship PLUS Stipend, even for MBAs (for compelling applications), while Harvard, among the richer universities, does not "NEED" to give scholarships to woo good candidates. There is no general answer therefore.

While your question is not clear, I assume you are asking if it is possible to get scholarships with an Average Profile. If that is your question, the answer is yes. That said, there is always a tradeoff between the scholarships you can get and the desirability of a Program. The higher the rank of the program, the lower your chances at scholarship with an average application (and not just average profile; please remember Profile and Application strength are NOT the same.

Nepalese citizens will usually get the diversity advantage, but again it depends on HOW you are able to highlight that.

Generally yes; that also makes your employability in that country higher; again there are many disclaimers, and the answers can be on a case by case basis

Yes and yes; the only downside is the additional costs that you will incur

Tweak or Exaggerate, I personally do not recommend; Highlight the right elements, yes

Hope that helps
Admission Consultant
Send PM
chowdhury391 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Background and nationality

Undergrad Information
Bachelors of Business Administration (BBA); Graduated in 2021
Major: Finance.
CGPA: 3.91 out of 4 (top 3% of class)

GMAT/GRE and other qualifications
Yet to sit for GMAT, targeting a 720+
Got 730-740 in official mocks (V49)

CFA Level I passed.

IELTS - 8.0; minimum of 7.5 in each segment.

Work experience and leadership
Working as a Finance Analyst in a bank (Since June 2021)
Did research work with professors during university.

Community and others
Very little; have some experience in volunteering for flood victims.

Post Master goals
IB or Consulting, switching to Entrepreneurship in the long term

Target Courses
September 2023 intake, will be applying during round 2 for most.
LSE Mfin, LBS MFA, Oxford MFE, HEC Paris MiF, Imperial Mfin

Also would appreciate recommendations for Mfins in the US.
Prepared to study self-funded if required.

Hi chowdhury391,
your information looks pretty solid for some top programs. Can explore more of your ECs.
Most importantly however, you are getting delayed for your R2 applications already.

Feel free to connect for a 1:1 session, to discuss your profile and to ask any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]

Originally posted by c3tangerines on 13 Nov 2022, 14:21.
Last edited by c3tangerines on 18 Dec 2022, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi all, hope to get some feedback on my overall application.

Background

Undergrad
Top 3-5 Uni in Asia, Top 2 in HK
Major: Computer Science
CGPA: 3.45/4.30 (HK has a pretty unique scoring system but this is equivalent to upper second class honors)

GMAT
I failed my first exam (610 Q49 V25) but planning to take another one next month

Work Experience
I interned mostly as a software engineer.
I am currently working in a notable VC in Indonesia and South East Asia as an investment analyst. I started around 3-4 months ago

Others
I was the captain of my college softball team.
Tutored IB math to some kids

Post-MiF Goals
I am interested to work in VC in Singapore. But I am also open to Sales & Trading or Wealth Management. As I graduated from HK, I do plan to find work there again after graduating.

Programs Applying To
NUS Master in Finance (without GMAT since I plan to apply by the end of this month)
SMU Master in Finance
ESSEC Singapore Master in Finance

As an international student, it would be hard for me to find job in Europe even if I applied to the universities there. However, I do find the following universities interesting:
Emlyon Master in Finance
Edhec Master in Finance

Please let me know if it is worth it for me to apply to Europe considering the difficulty for international students applying for work visa there.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
MS Finance Profile Evaluations [Master Thread]: Post all Profiles Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hangkkk wrote:
Thanks for taking your time checking my profile in advance!

Undergraduate GPA: 4.5 /5 from an EU business school in international business economics
IELTS:8
GMAT:710 Q50 V35
Internship: short term at big 4, finance intern at a multinational, currently doing full time internship at BlackRock(>6mo)
Languages: B1 French, native Chinese
extracurricular: amateur powerlifter, certificates in python from coursera, datacamp, a school business simulation game champion
Qualifications: ACCA on track(8/13)

Target MIM and MSC finance at HEC, BOCCONI, LSE, ESSEC. any other suggestions are welcomed

Hey Hangkkk

Your GMAT score looks satisfactory. In addition, you have work experience, though it is not necessary to have work experience for MIM.

As for me, MIM at HEC Paris suits your profile the most. So here let me give you an overview of the eligibility criteria for dating MIM at HEC Paris:
The HEC Master in Management/Grande Ecole Program (MiM) is open to high-level applicants of all nationalities with little or no professional experience who: hold a bachelor's degree of at least three years with 180 ECTS in any field of studies (engineering, social sciences, sciences, arts, etc.). Applicants may apply during the same year that they receive their degree.
French language proficiency is not a requirement for admission.
Here is the list of documents that you require during the application process:
Degree certificate(s) or current certificate of enrolment
A one-page résumé (CV)
All official up-to-date academic transcripts (exchange programs included) and official GPA
GMAT or GRE, or TAGE MAGE official test score report (only one test is authorized)
English language proficiency test score report (TOEFL or TOEIC or IELTS or Cambridge)
Copy of Passport or ID card
Two completed online reference forms (a professor should fill out at least one)
Passport-style photo in .jpg or .jpeg format only. Sized such that only the head and shoulders are visible and taken within the last six months to reflect your current appearance.
The plus point of your profile is that you already know french, so you might get a pass.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 16 Nov 2022, 00:00.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
MGM1996 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'd like to request a profile evaluation - mainly for HEC Masters in finance, or other recommendations for similar programs.

Age - 25, Indian, Female
Work ex
2018-2019 - 1 year as an equity research analyst (Sell Side) at a well reputed firm, not big 4.
2019-2021 - 2 years as an equity research analyst (Buy side) at a smaller firm, associated with big 4 in terms of partnership. Moved here mainly due to exposure to Invest banking role, but slowdown on that front due to covid.
2021-2022 - working at a social impact charitable organization in fundraising, impact assessment & analysis.

3 years of corporate finance experience.
Short term goal - ideally private equity/investment banking
Long term goal - Social impact private equity.

GMAT - 730
Extra curriculars - Decent, 5+ years of volunteering at various NGOs
Undergrad - BBA w a major in finance from one of the top 10 business unis in India
GPA - 2.9/4.0 (ranked in top 20 percentile, we have a different than usual grading system)

My questions -
1) Am I too old for a masters? Specifically HEC - where the average age is 23 and average work ex is 2 years.
The main reason I am considering this is because my corp finance work ex is only 3 years.
2) Am i qualified enough for this program or is it too much of a long shot?
3) If i am qualified, can you shed some light on the reference letters? Should they both be professional since i have graduated from Undergrad 5 years ago?
OR should one of them still be from my professors and one from my last corporate finance employer?

Thank you so much for any insight i can gain!
Please let me know if any additional info is needed.

+1
Kudos

Your profile looks brilliant, and you are all set to get admission into any B-schools, be it HEC only. Even your GMAT score is very good and suitable for most top-tier abroad universities. Though your GPA is a little lower, your work experience is all set to cover it up for you.

MBA at HEC Paris suits your profile the most. So here let me give you an overview of the eligibility criteria for dating MIM at HEC Paris:
You must have completed an undergraduate program at an accredited university to apply. As proof, we will require official academic transcripts.
HEC does not have an absolute requirement of years of work experience, but we strongly encourage at least two years of professional experience in addition to an undergraduate degree.
The average GMAT score for the 2019 class is 690. We strongly encourage our candidates to submit GMAT scores that are above 60% on both the quantitative and verbal sections.
Minimum TOEFL score: 100 online, 600 on paper
TOEIC minimums are 340 for speaking and writing and 850 for listening and reading.
Minimum IELTS score: 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in each exam section.
Minimum Cambridge English exam scores (First, Advanced, Proficiency, and Business): 185, with a minimum of 176 on each exam section.
PTE minimum: 72

Don’t worry; you are not at all too old for HEC. Your profile shows a lot of promise, and getting one reference letter from your corporate finance employer and one from your professor will be the best way to go.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 16 Nov 2022, 00:04.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

Background

Undergrad
Top 3-5 Uni in Asia, Top 2 in HK
Major: Computer Science
CGPA: 3.45/4.30 (HK has a pretty unique scoring system but this is equivalent to upper second class honors)

GMAT
I failed my first exam (610 Q49 V25) but planning to take another one next month

Work Experience
I interned mostly as a software engineer.
I am currently working in a notable VC in Indonesia and South East Asia as an investment analyst. I started around 3-4 months ago

Others
I was the captain of my college softball team.
Tutored IB math to some kids

Post-MiF Goals
I am interested to work in VC in Singapore. But I am also open to Sales & Trading or Wealth Management. As I graduated from HK, I do plan to find work there again after graduating.

Programs Applying To
NUS Master in Finance (without GMAT since I plan to apply by the end of this month)
SMU Master in Finance
ESSEC Singapore Master in Finance

As an international student, it would be hard for me to find job in Europe even if I applied to the universities there. However, I do find the following universities interesting:
Emlyon Master in Finance
Edhec Master in Finance

Please let me know if it is worth it for me to apply to Europe considering the difficulty for international students applying for work visa there.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All. Please evaluate my profile for applying Master of Finance. I want to know about my chance that I'll be accepted to these programmes or not.

My Goals : Msc Finance NUS, MiF ESSEC 1-year track (Singapore Campus)

Nationality/Gender : Thai / Female

Undergrad Information : Class of 2021 Bachelor's of Engineering in Thailand with GPA 3.41 out of 4.0 grading system (Second Class Honor). In addition, my university specially has a reputation for Engineering.

GRE : 320 (V154/Q166/AWA 4.0)

Language : Native Thai speaker, IELTS Band 7.5 with all parts at least 6.0, TOEIC 910

Work experience and leadership : I don't have any work experience. But I have internship experience as consulting intern in international research company for 4 months.

Community and others :
- Participated in investment summer course for university student held by investment society in Thailand.
- Did a part-time job as piano teacher during college years for 4 consecutive years. (2018-2022)
- Have certificates for finance-related courses offered by Coursera.

Post Master goals : I want to work as investment banker but still exploring my interest. I'm open to all opportunities except fintech track. Mainly, I want to work in international company which has branch in my home country or top financial institution in my home country. I don't have any plan for further academic career.

Further questions :
1) Between ESSEC and NUS, which one is more reputable in master of finance? As far as I know, NUS has just opened their master in finance for about 3-4 years.
2) Which one is more suitable for me, ESSEC or NUS?
3) If anyone can address master of finance programmes from other universities which might suitable for my profile or I might get high chance being accepted, it would be appreciate. Preferably the program with less than 2 years.

Thank you for your kindness in advance. This would help me a lot.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
chowdhury391 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Background and nationality

Undergrad Information
Bachelors of Business Administration (BBA); Graduated in 2021
Major: Finance.
CGPA: 3.91 out of 4 (top 3% of class)

GMAT/GRE and other qualifications
Yet to sit for GMAT, targeting a 720+
Got 730-740 in official mocks (V49)

CFA Level I passed.

IELTS - 8.0; minimum of 7.5 in each segment.

Work experience and leadership
Working as a Finance Analyst in a bank (Since June 2021)
Did research work with professors during university.

Community and others
Very little; have some experience in volunteering for flood victims.

Post Master goals
IB or Consulting, switching to Entrepreneurship in the long term

Target Courses
September 2023 intake, will be applying during round 2 for most.
LSE Mfin, LBS MFA, Oxford MFE, HEC Paris MiF, Imperial Mfin

Also would appreciate recommendations for Mfins in the US.
Prepared to study self-funded if required.

For several renowned programmes, your information seems to be quite reliable. may look into more of your ECs.
Most critically, though, your R2 apps are already experiencing delays.

If you would like, we can help you with essays and SOPs and other application processes.
We have helped over 5000 students get admit into their dream schools.
If you would like we can set up a free consulting session with you at your convenience
You can set up a Free consulting session with our experts through the link provided:
BOOK YOUR FREE SESSION
In this call, you will be getting:

a)Deep Profile Evaluation: Strengths and Weaknesses

b)Ideal Target Schools for your Profile

c) Timeline for your Applications

d) 3X Admit Chances
_______
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

97% Success Rate| 5000+ Admits in Top Schools| 5 Million Euros in Scholarships
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey, Let me tell you that your profile is pretty decent, with a good-to-go GPA and excellent work experience that is absolutely relevant to the course that you wish to pursue. Your GMAT score is a cherry on the top as it is a very high score and would help you to have better acceptance chances in any top University abroad.

Let me start by mentioning that your major is in Physics, and the course you want to pursue is Finance which is your minor and would have been a topic of concern, but because you have a good academic record and work experience, it will compensate for that. I also hope that your bachelor’s degree was for a duration of four years, as that is one of the criteria for your dream college - Yale University.

Talking about your GMAT, it will be the game changer for your application as a 750 is good enough to get you into any top university abroad, be it Yale or MIT. So, I would suggest you not to re-take the exam as there is no such requirement in your case.

Coming to your work experience, it looks pretty interesting and relevant to the course you wish to apply for, which is Finance and management. You also come across as someone who is passionate about Finance through your work experience and stock projects which is definitely a good thing!

Also, let me tell you that your age should not be a topic of concern for you as most of the applicants are within this bracket of age who apply for Master’s.

Now, I will tell you the basic requirements for your course in top universities -

Four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited University
Academic transcripts, both in the original language and in English
GMAT/GRE official score report directly sent to the Yale School of Management.
Financial Statements
Essay
Extracurricular activities
Statement of Purpose (SOP)
Behavioural assessment
Resume
Two Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
Video Questions
Interviews (On invitation)

I hope this clears all your doubts about applying for your dream college and course!

If you would like, we can help you with essays and SOPs, and other application processes.
We have helped over 5000 students get admitted into their dream schools.
If you would like we can set up a free consulting session with you at your convenience
You can set up a Free consulting session with our experts through the link provided below :
BOOK YOUR FREE SESSION

In this call, you will be getting:

d) 3X Admit Chances
_______
Abhyank Srinet

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
msimon26 wrote:
Hello everyone,

GMAT - 780

Thank you.

Hey,

Let me start by saying this - You have an excellent profile, so you need not worry about the application process.
You are targeting an MBA or Master’s in Finance, both of which require a good GMAT score and let me tell you that your GMAT score is your plus point, it is more than enough to get you into the best MBA schools abroad.

Now, talking about your GPA, yes, it is pretty decent and not as great as your GMAT Score, however, do not worry, as your GMAT score plus your work experience will compensate for this. If you can add some more extracurricular activities while applying, it would be great!

Your work experience is a cherry on the top, accompanied by your GMAT Score, as universities abroad usually require 2-3 years of relevant work experience, and you have that!

Let me tell you some basic eligibility criteria for top MBA universities abroad -

Top universities check the three most important criteria for the selection of candidates for the MBA Program: intellectual vitality, proven leadership potential, and personal qualities and achievements.

In the absence of even one of these attributes, a candidate’s academic achievements, GMAT/GRE score, LORs, work experience, and performance in the admissions interview will not help much.

They make it clear that it does not accept an applicant on the basis of any one aspect. It evaluates candidates from a holistic perspective and selects only those whose aspirations and ideals align with its own goals and values.

Basic requirements -
Evidence of undergraduate degree, preferably with a good GPA.
Work experience (school dependent but mostly 2-3 years)
Competitive GMAT Exam Score (or, in some cases, GRE scores)
English language proficiency score, i.e. TOEFL or IELTS, with at least 7.5 in IELTS.
MBA essays (as required by business school)
Recommendation letters from previous academic institutions and places of work.

I hope this information gives you more clarity!

If you would like, we can help you with essays and SOPs and other application processes.
We have helped over 5000 students get admitted into their dream schools.
If you would like, we can set up a free consulting session with you at your convenience
You can set up a Free consulting session with our experts through the link provided:
BOOK YOUR FREE SESSION

In this call, you will be getting the following:

d) 3X Admit Chances
_______
Abhyank Srinet

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey saur719

I can see that you have a good profile, and you also have experience working with a USA-based firm. In fact, your GPA is pretty good too. These elements of your profile definitely give you an edge over others.

Now, after thoroughly analysing your profile, I have compiled a list of important points for you to consider as well as what needs to be improved:

1. So you lack a strong brand name in your UG, and to compensate, you must quantify the roles of your work experience by including numbers in your profile.

2. Secondly, your extracurriculars are more about leadership and organisational skills, so these schools would like to know how many people you have led and what the footfall was for the events if you have organised any, so you need to quantify that as well.

3. You should also include some financial coursework in your extracurricular activities to demonstrate consistency and proactiveness in your profile. In fact, you can also showcase that you are planning to pursue your CFA.

4. Overall, you have a good chance, given that the profile has some of the essential elements.

Based on the list of schools you provided, LBS and LSE would be ideal ones for you, given their lower acceptance rates, but we can certainly target them.

Rest, Schulich and McGill would be some competitive schools for you, and your chances would be around 50–60%, but you can definitely target better schools than Manchester, so you can skip it.

Here I have created a list of schools that will be perfect for you and align with your profile:

1. Warwick Business School
2. King's College London
3. Cass Business School

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 28 Dec 2022, 06:45.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

Background
French student in a top 20 business school in France. (Not target at all, maybe a weak point)
Exchange in UMASS Boston, US - Accounting/Finance courses (6 months)
GPA : 14,5/20 (French grade system) - 3.8-4/4 equivalent

GMAT
660 Q47/V34 not planning to take another exam

Work experience
Internship (3 months) as a an assistant to the manager of finance of a subsidiary company
1 year (Apprenticeship) as a Financial Auditor - PwC (Big 4)
1 year (Apprenticeship) as a Credit Research Analyst at BNP Paribas Asset Management (Biggest bank in Europe and the best one in France).

Community and others
Vice President and Treasurer of an association organising the ski trip for the students of my school. (300k€ budget).
Investment association of my school : I had the opportunity to teach small groups of 5-10 students at my school about technical analysis in the context of stock market and crypto asset investment.
Doing CFI FMVA certification : 25 courses covering accounting, financial modelling (LBO, M&A, DCF...) and PowerPoint presentations. Content: LBO modelling, M&A modelling, corporate finance, valuation.

Post Master goals
Investment banking / Private Equity
Ideally in the UK.

Programs Applying To
LSE - Ms Finance and Private Equity
LSE - Ms Accounting & Finance
LBS - Ms Financial analysis
HEC - International Finance
ESCP - Ms Finance
ESSEC - Ms Finance

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Evercore78 wrote:

Background
French student in a top 20 business school in France. (Not target at all, maybe a weak point)
Exchange in UMASS Boston, US - Accounting/Finance courses (6 months)
GPA : 14,5/20 (French grade system) - 3.8-4/4 equivalent

GMAT
660 Q47/V34 not planning to take another exam

Work experience
Internship (3 months) as a an assistant to the manager of finance of a subsidiary company
1 year (Apprenticeship) as a Financial Auditor - PwC (Big 4)
1 year (Apprenticeship) as a Credit Research Analyst at BNP Paribas Asset Management (Biggest bank in Europe and the best one in France).

Community and others
Vice President and Treasurer of an association organising the ski trip for the students of my school. (300k€ budget).
Investment association of my school : I had the opportunity to teach small groups of 5-10 students at my school about technical analysis in the context of stock market and crypto asset investment.
Doing CFI FMVA certification : 25 courses covering accounting, financial modelling (LBO, M&A, DCF...) and PowerPoint presentations. Content: LBO modelling, M&A modelling, corporate finance, valuation.

Post Master goals
Investment banking / Private Equity
Ideally in the UK.

Programs Applying To
LSE - Ms Finance and Private Equity
LSE - Ms Accounting & Finance
LBS - Ms Financial analysis
HEC - International Finance
ESCP - Ms Finance
ESSEC - Ms Finance

Hey Evercore78

Your foreign exchange programme has given you international exposure, which you may capitalise on. Your outstanding CGPA and good academic background make you qualified for tier 1 colleges worldwide. A finance-focused qualification, like the CFI, helps your profile stand out. Fourth is finance-focused internships, apprenticeships, and experiences.

You've held finance-related roles like VP and treasurer. Your academic accomplishments aren't significant, but you may use your financial background.

Your responsibilities, leadership, management, and desire to learn about finance from the start build a great profile.

GMAT is the only weakness. HEC and London Business School won't accept this GMAT Score.

But again, I will recommend you look at:
1. ESEEC
2. ESCP

If you can get a GMAT score of about 680 or above, then definitely, it will work out for all the schools mentioned by you.

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 04 Jan 2023, 05:01.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
salmontea8 wrote:
Hi All. Please evaluate my profile for applying Master of Finance. I want to know about my chance that I'll be accepted to these programmes or not.

My Goals : Msc Finance NUS, MiF ESSEC 1-year track (Singapore Campus)

Nationality/Gender : Thai / Female

Undergrad Information : Class of 2021 Bachelor's of Engineering in Thailand with GPA 3.41 out of 4.0 grading system (Second Class Honor). In addition, my university specially has a reputation for Engineering.

GRE : 320 (V154/Q166/AWA 4.0)

Language : Native Thai speaker, IELTS Band 7.5 with all parts at least 6.0, TOEIC 910

Work experience and leadership : I don't have any work experience. But I have internship experience as consulting intern in international research company for 4 months.

Community and others :
- Participated in investment summer course for university student held by investment society in Thailand.
- Did a part-time job as piano teacher during college years for 4 consecutive years. (2018-2022)
- Have certificates for finance-related courses offered by Coursera.

Post Master goals : I want to work as investment banker but still exploring my interest. I'm open to all opportunities except fintech track. Mainly, I want to work in international company which has branch in my home country or top financial institution in my home country. I don't have any plan for further academic career.

Further questions :
1) Between ESSEC and NUS, which one is more reputable in master of finance? As far as I know, NUS has just opened their master in finance for about 3-4 years.
2) Which one is more suitable for me, ESSEC or NUS?
3) If anyone can address master of finance programmes from other universities which might suitable for my profile or I might get high chance being accepted, it would be appreciate. Preferably the program with less than 2 years.

Thank you for your kindness in advance. This would help me a lot.

Hey salmontea8,

Your GPA allows you to target all the excellent colleges in the globe. If you're applying for a master's in finance degree, you may speak about your consulting experience and problem-solving talents. Simply provide financial details in your profile. Course or Udemy provide financial modelling courses. You may also propose your CFA proposal.

Around 300 is excellent for the colleges you're seeking on the GRE.

If you have an offer letter, apply to ESSEC. Currently, you should apply to both institutions. When you obtain the offer letter, you may apply for scholarships since NUS and ESSEC have strong brand names.

Even if NUS's finance programme began three or four years ago, your recruiting won't be hampered as both are reputable colleges. I propose targeting both schools.

If you are open to the UK, because London is called the financial hub, I will recommend you to look at schools like:

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. UCL
4. King’s College London

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 04 Jan 2023, 05:04.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts