Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: My GMAT Log: Target 740+ [#permalink]
WOW. You're way ahead of me, my friend. Your preparation looks solid and OG performance is even more impressive. I'm fighting with 'accuracy under timed conditions' syndrome :(.
Wish you very good luck for a great GMAT score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
WOW. You're way ahead of me, my friend. Your preparation looks solid and OG performance is even more impressive. I'm fighting with 'accuracy under timed conditions' syndrome :(.
Wish you very good luck for a great GMAT score.

I have been timing everything that I do but haven't really been "under stress". I am sure that test day nerves will get the better of me :? and that my accuracy will suffer as a result.

I took a quick look through your log. How are the RC99 passages going? Are you improving? I am considering purchasing them as I found the OG12 passages rather straightforward and want to be prepared for the worst that may come during test day. I heard the real GMAT verbal is slightly more convoluted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
RC99 is a good practice book. I haven't improved drastically but during my last attempt of 7 passages, I got 22/27 correct. For me, stress management is a bigger factor. I'll definitely recommend you buying RC99. Look at this review from rishiraj.
review-of-rc99-by-aristotle-prep-107742.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, rg1. I think I'll end up getting RC99.

Went through a few more GMAT Club Tests. I have gotten my highest score thus far on the one I took a few days ago: 28/37. I really want to cross the 30+ barrier. While reviewing my errors, I made so many careless mistakes. My timing have been horrible on the last two. I had to guess on the last 4 questions and almost spent up to 5 minutes on a single problem only to get it wrong at the end :| Overall, the club tests are really sharpening my overall quantitative skills.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
ibbys wrote:
Thanks, rg1. I think I'll end up getting RC99.

Went through a few more GMAT Club Tests. I have gotten my highest score thus far on the one I took a few days ago: 28/37. I really want to cross the 30+ barrier. While reviewing my errors, I made so many careless mistakes. My timing have been horrible on the last two. I had to guess on the last 4 questions and almost spent up to 5 minutes on a single problem only to get it wrong at the end :| Overall, the club tests are really sharpening my overall quantitative skills.

My suggestion - don't use the GMAT Club Tests to test your ability :) use the questions to expand your knowledge ;)

Silly mistakes are bound to occur :D The only way around is to try an minimize the frequency at which it occurs.

The main intention behind doing RC passages is to internalize the strategies given in the prep book you're following e.g. Initially, I used to take my own sweet time to paraphrase each para and then abbreviate the paraphrased para. With practice, I was able to paraphrase a whole paragraph in less than 10 words!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have decided to purchase the RC99 passages and I have been working through them. My accuracy hasn't been as high compared to the OG12/Verbal Supplement passages.

I feel like the questions sometimes ask to infer a little too much beyond what is stated in the passage. I know that in the OG, "infer" really means what's explicitly stated in and can be supported by the passage. A lot of the RC answer choices sometimes take a little extra jump in thinking. I am going to work through a few more passages and see if my thoughts on this change.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
One plus side of the RC99 passages is the passage road map that is provided in the answer key at the beginning of each passage before the explanations. This is basically a very brief outline of the main idea and structure of the passage broken down by each paragraph. As I am reading through each passage, I am trying to build this framework in my head. I can compare my own framework with the one that is provided.

I personally am not a fan of taking physical notes and prefer to mentally do so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
nice discussion going on here. i have been scoring in the same range on the practice tests , but still need to jump the quanta hurdle. the DS inequality questions are still a barrier to 700 + :( .
Director
Director
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
nice discussion going on here. i have been scoring in the same range on the practice tests , but still need to jump the quanta hurdle. the DS inequality questions are still a barrier to 700 + :( .

I hate DS inequalities too :D

I kinda got lucky on the real GMAT!
I got only one question involving inequalities! Same for probability and combinatorial types! But I had to deal with tough problems from Geometry and Rate/Work :P
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
garimavyas wrote:

I hate DS inequalities too :D

I kinda got lucky on the real GMAT!
I got only one question involving inequalities! Same for probability and combinatorial types! But I had to deal with tough problems from Geometry and Rate/Work :P

Only ONE question on inequalities! :wtf: So lucky, inequalities and absolute value are my weakness.
However, I am getting better at them due to the GMAT Club tests. They have quite a bit of tricky DS in the tests.

Entwistle, I think you bring up a very good point about "luck." I had read quite a few experiences in which people did substantially better the second time around not because of a change in strategy or more preparation but just due to more questions being in their favor and testing their strengths (perhaps less nerves/stress also). For this reason, I would recommend anyone to take the test twice if they are the least bit unsatisfied with their score.
Director
Director
Send PM
lol...
Yeah... Luck plays a very important part... But I remember the line from Under Siege II
"Fortune favors the prepared mind..."

But the work rate problems and the geometry ones were way tougher ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Officially changed the date of my test: April 4th
Having mixed feelings of having done so but hopefully I will get some quality studying done in the next month.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This might seem obvious but after working on RC and SC extensively, I have come to realize that process of elimination is extremely helpful. I tend to waste time re-reading answer choices that I have already eliminated in my head.

For RC, it has helped me really narrow the focus of each question and look for specific details.

I always thought I used this stratgey but I am becoming much more conscious of it now.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts