Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: need help with a school selection. [#permalink]
Well, a booth adcom told us that 30% of apps com in in r1 and 60% in r2
They said they fill about 30% of the class from r1 and 60% from r2. Do both if you can manage since NYU is nov 15
But if this is true there is no difference in the rounds.
Current Student
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
Well, a booth adcom told us that 30% of apps com in in r1 and 60% in r2
They said they fill about 30% of the class from r1 and 60% from r2. Do both if you can manage since NYU is nov 15
But if this is true there is no difference in the rounds.

what about decision time? is it going to be exactly in march date or could be earlier? i know some schools like Duke has the decision in march and maybe some earlier? I know its only another 200$ and my rec probably wont mind too much but i feel like i am seeing which sticks here if i apply both stern and booth in addition to my other apps...
But one thing is clear - i will fail in life if i dont get into any :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
jordanhendrix wrote:
Hey just wanted to jump in here and say a couple things:
Let me preface with: My GPA is slightly lower than yours but i have a 12 credit alt. transcript with all A's from this year. (business quant classes)

I was looking at all the schools you were and NYU was number 1 for a while. But that changed.

Just because a schools GPA range is closer to yours doesn't mean it is more forgiving of lower GPA's Also Stern is REALLY close to all the other schools, within .15. I dropped this strategy because its not the best way to select schools.

After some thought and conversations with consultants and Club members I decided on Booth or Kellogg as my hail mary. I settled on Booth because of fit.

I, like you, am concerned about getting into a good school period and fit became secondary to getting in. I am applying to 6 schools in round one. (My apps are tight, as I've been working on them for months) I don't care about being in a city i don't like if its the best school i can get into.

Either way, there are better ways to target schools that can be more forgiving.

Ross for example is BIG and has a lower GPA (thats why we are both applying there)
the question is why?
is it b/c they give less weight to GPA? or Do they favor more technical background that produce lower GPA's? (Like Eng, or Bio)

Then these stats are the middle 80% NYU is smaller than kellogg and booth so while it may have a slightly lower range, less people get in with GPA's out of that range. For people like us bigger is better.

Looking at acceptance rate is important in my opinion. If it "depends on candidates" the implication being that a higher acceptance rate includes lower quality candidates then why not apply to Booth over NYU?
NYU is 14% booth is 25%
Booth accepted 954 people compared to NYU at 670
Booth had 3800 apps compared to NYU at 4600.
Booths GPA range: 3.14-3.88
NYU: 3.06-3.81
IMO case closed.

NYU is more selective because of they have a larger pool to select from.
FACT: There are more people with sub 3.0's at booth then NYU.
Another thing NYU is notoriously unforgiving of low GPA's. Unlike Ross, Darden, Gtown, CMU etc.

All the above could be said about Kellogg too but I think to a lesser extent.

Look at the numbers more closely and I think either Kellogg or Booth is going to win this one. Then if you can show fit you will greatly increase your chances at either school, much more than a couple of .10's in GPA.
My schools are as follows:
Booth, Duke EA, Ross, G Town, UVA, CMU(GPA range goes down to 2.8!) If things don't work out in R1: then UNC, maybe Emory and then i dont know yet.

I read your posts and connect with you because we are worried about the same thing. I hope this post was helpful because its not just about range. CMU LOVES engineers, and you'd be within their GPA range. Get into the numbers a little deeper and youre gonna settle on booth or kellogg iMo.

Finally, if apps are down, this season acceptance rates will go up, NYU is fantastic and I'd be there in a heartbeat but why not go for Booth/Kellogg, they crush NYU in many respects.

Now lets see what Alex says.......

I have to add something here. I think NYU's acceptance rate is so low because of the amount of former investment bankers that apply. There are only so many spots that they can fill. Also, many people view NYU as a safety school for Wharton, Columbia, and other strong finance programs. Fit is very important at NYU and they go to great strides to ensure that NYU is a top choice for their applicants. Just look at their essay questions: What have you don to learn about Stern? The creative essay is also a huge time sink requiring real commitment to be successful.

Another point, Stern is concerned about moving up in the rankings. This is obvious with the recent changes like a new dean, increasing tend in gmat scores, etc. In the rankings at US news, GMAT score is weighted higher than GPA. So they're probably more selective about this than GPA.

You also need to consider correlation vs causation. Are the GPAs high because they favor high GPAs or are these all the "safety" applicants from Wharton and Columbia?

The bottom line is that NYU still is slightly easier to get into than Chicago if you know that it's the best choice for you and have a compelling story. Both are excellent programs and you should base your choice on what SPECIFICALLY can help you and not on your chances at each.

If Kellogg can help you the most, then go for it. Same could be said for Stern and Booth.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
You've gotten a lot of good feedback here, so I won't add much more.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA ranges in your case. Your GPA is low enough that it would likely be a concern at any school no matter what the range is, and the only thing that prevents it from being fatal is your degree (engineering) and your GMAT (which is decent).

Rather than worry about what you can't control (your GPA), focus on what you can -- which is doing the best you can on the written applications, and choosing the schools where you feel you're the best fit for -- so from these list of schools, choose the one that you'd love to go to the most. It's really that simple.
GMAT Club Bot