Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [55]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [6]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Re: Neotropical coastal mangrove forests are usually zonal, with certain [#permalink]
4. Information in the passage indicates that the author would most probably regard which of the following statements as INCORRECT?

(A) Coastal mangrove forests are usually zonal.
(B) Hurricanes interrupt the process of accretion and succession that extends existing shorelines.
(C) Species of plants that thrive in a saline habitat require salt to flourish.
(D) Plants with the highest metabolic efficiency in a given habitat tend to include other plants from that habitat.
(E) Shorelines in areas with weak currents and tides are more likely to be extended through the process of accumulation of sediment than are shorelines with strong currents and tides.

workout adkikani JarvisR abhimahna Skywalker18
Guys I know C is correct as it is clearly mentioned in the passage but what about D??

How come D is correct?
Please help!!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [3]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: Neotropical coastal mangrove forests are usually zonal, with certain [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
How come D is correct?
Please help!!

I don't think we can evaluate the correctness of option D based on the passage. We can certainly do for option C.

Now option D which states "Plants with the highest metabolic efficiency in a given habitat tend to include other plants from that habitat".

This statement may be true that plants with the highest metabolic efficiency in a given habitat tend to include other plants from that habitat but the salinity of the water might be hurting the growth of the other plants

or

The plants with the highest metabolic efficiency themselves do not allow the growth of other plants.

I see two possible cases and hence I went with option C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
P1- M; diff species; a study on distribution.
P2- t1 jhd - on distribution
P3- t1 challenged, t2
P4- defining mangrove properties related to saline.

Main Point - Different species for defining mangrove distribution.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) refute the idea that the zonation exhibited in mangrove forests is caused by adaptation to salinity - no
(B) describe the pattern of zonation typically found in Florida mangrove forests - no
(C) argue that Davis’ succession paradigm cannot be successfully applied to Florida mangrove forests - no
(D) discuss hypotheses that attempt to explain the zonation of coastal mangrove forests - This one seems like the best choice. covering all para graphs.
(E) establish that plants that do well in saline forest environments require salt to achieve maximum metabolic efficiency - no

----------------------------------------------------

2. According to the passage, the earliest research on mangrove forests produced which of the following?
anchor - the earliest research on mangrove forests
given in p1 - The earliest research on mangrove forests produced descriptions of species distribution from shore to land, without exploring the causes of the distributions.

(B) Descriptions of species distributions suggesting zonation
----------------------------------------------------
4. Information in the passage indicates that the author would most probably regard which of the following statements as INCORRECT?

(C) Species of plants that thrive in a saline habitat require salt to flourish. - Research suggests that mangroves will normally dominate highly saline regions, although not because they require salt.

-----------------------------------------------------

workout - can you give me a hand for q3. I selected option D over E. here is my reason.
(D) A shoreline extended by “land-building” species of mangroves ---But on stable coastlines, the distribution of mangrove species results in other patterns of zonation; “land building” does not occur. --- if “land building” does not occur. then we can not apply Davis’ paradigm. Also this line suggest it does. "According to Davis’ scheme, the shoreline is being extended in a seaward direction because of the “land-building” role of mangroves,"
(E) A shoreline in which few sediments can accumulate - According to Davis’ scheme, the shoreline is being extended in a seaward direction because of the “land-building” role of mangroves, which, by trapping sediments over time, extend the shore.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
aragonn

For q3

Refer to this line "Recently the universal application of Davis’ succession paradigm has been challenged. It appears that in areas where weak currents and weak tidal energies allow the accumulation of sediments, mangroves will follow land formation and accelerate the rate of soil accretion; succession will proceed according to Davis’ scheme"

We are asked about the cases in which Davis' Paradigm does not apply.

If it applies to an area that allows the accumulation of sediments (there must be enough sediments to accumulate). It would be safe to infer that it would not happen if there were fewer sediments.

I hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos

(A) Coastal mangrove forests are usually zonal.

(B) Hurricanes interrupt the process of accretion and succession that extends existing shorelines.

(C) Species of plants that thrive in a saline habitat require salt to flourish.

(D) Plants with the highest metabolic efficiency in a given habitat tend to include other plants from that habitat.

(E) Shorelines in areas with weak currents and tides are more likely to be extended through the process of accumulation of sediment than are shorelines with strong currents and tides.

Answer C
portion from the passage : Research suggests that mangroves will normally dominate highly saline regions, although not because they require salt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Would someone please explain why Option D in Question 4 is incorrect?
Here's the relevant information in the passage:
"Rather, they are metabolically efficient (and hence grow well) in portions of an environment whose high salinity excludes plants adapted to lower salinities"

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
Would someone please explain why Option D in Question 4 is incorrect?
Here's the relevant information in the passage:
"Rather, they are metabolically efficient (and hence grow well) in portions of an environment whose high salinity excludes plants adapted to lower salinities"

Thank you!

I would be happy to give it a go, shabuzen102. I did choose (C) because I could not find a way to disprove it, based on the same line from the passage that TarunTilokani quoted above. If you look carefully at the last line of the passage, though, the other part that mentions metabolic efficiency, you can see how, combined with the line you quoted above, it really does not justify choice (D). Again, that line:

The characteristic mangrove species of each zone should exhibit a higher metabolic efficiency at that salinity than will any potential invader, including other species of mangrove.

Notice that the passage is comparing the metabolic efficiency of the mangrove species of each zone with that of any potential invader, specifically at whatever salinity that zone exhibits. Thus, the well-adapted mangrove keeps other invaders at bay, but that is all we can tell. Now look at choice (D) again, in the context of the question:

Q: Information in the passage indicates that the author would most probably regard which of the following statements as INCORRECT?

Do we know that, to quote the passage, the characteristic mangrove species of each zone will NOT, to borrow from the answer, include other plants from that habitat? Not at all. Whether "dominant" mangroves, as I will call them, tolerate other well-adapted, high-salinity plants in a zone with high salinity is beyond the scope of the passage. Again, all we can ascertain is that such mangroves are adapted well to that environment metabolically and prevent other invasive species from playing the dominant role. Other plants could or could not be present, but the author does not take a stance either way.

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, let me know. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

While I don't have any doubt on your approach . I have one small problem . Can anyone confirm that in such EXCEPT questions may be the passage supports the line can the options stay NEUTRAL? Is this possible that we need to got for options which passage supports clear truth or lie no grey areas like in CR ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
gmatway wrote:
While I don't have any doubt on your approach . I have one small problem . Can anyone confirm that in such EXCEPT questions may be the passage supports the line can the options stay NEUTRAL? Is this possible that we need to got for options which passage supports clear truth or lie no grey areas like in CR ?

Hello, gmatway. I am having a little trouble grasping what you intend to say, but I think you mean to ask whether there must be direct textual evidence to support or refute an answer choice in RC questions, as opposed to preserving a little mystery, a so-called grey area, similar to what you may find in some CR questions. To be sure, I do think RC and CR questions often rely on the same skillset to break down what the questions are asking and how to use the information presented in the passage to weigh the pros and cons of each answer choice. It seems to me as if RC questions lean a little more on direct textual evidence, but there are, on occasion, inference questions that may require the reader to piece together different parts of the text in such a way that someone could say the answer to that question fell in a sort of grey area. Do you have any particular questions in mind from either CR or RC to illustrate what you may mean, re these EXCEPT questions? I might understand your point a little better by way of such an illustration.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Seem to be a lone wolf on this one but I had trouble on Q2.

Q2 :- According to the passage, the earliest research on mangrove forests produced which of the following?

(A) Data that implied random patterns of mangrove species distribution
(B) Descriptions of species distributions suggesting zonation

A and B were my favourites, and each relies on the quote -- "The earliest research on mangrove forests produced descriptions of species distribution from shore to land, without exploring the causes of the distributions". I just thought B went a little too far by mentioning 'zonation', as you have to be super careful with trap answer choices etc.
I chose A because without knowing the causes of the distribution, to the researchers the pattern must have looked random. Tbh, A seems flawed now I think about it but so does B.

Can someone help me with why we can suggest zonation in B?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
How can we eliminate option E from question 4?

Because no comparison is given in passage between weak and strong currents. Only about weak is mentioned.

GMATNinja @e-gmat Please help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM