Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Assumptionx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Re: Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
diegmat wrote:
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings. Thus paleontologists' recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

The argument in the passage relies on which of the following assumptions?

A) Sandactylus would not have had networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings if these networks were of no use to Sandactylus.

B) All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

C) Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

D) If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly be able to find some evidence that it did so.

E) Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.

Responding to a pm:

This is not an easy question - especially if you are trying to explain the answer.
So first let's try to understand how the argument is structured. I will use variables to make it easier:

Networks of blood vessels in wings - A
heat generated in flight by flapping wings - B

Given Argument:
Bats have A. Bats have B. A's only job is to get rid of B.
Dinos had A too. Hence, Dinos had B too.

What is the assumption? That A must have had a purpose in Dinos too (getting rid of B). You cannot have A without having a job for it. Just because Dinos had A, we are concluding that they must have had B too. We are assuming that A must have had a purpose. This is option (A) and is the answer.

Are we assuming that we cannot get rid of B without A? No. (This is what option (E) says)
When would this be the assumption?
If the argument were a little different: Dinos had B. Hence, Dinos had A too.
In this argument, the assumption would have been that we cannot get rid of B without A.
But given the original argument, this is not the assumption. Hence, answer is not (E).

What is the assumption? That A must have had a purpose in Dinos too (getting rid of B). You cannot have A without having a job for it. Just because Dinos had A, we are concluding that they must have had B too.

What if A must have had a purpose in Dinos too other than B?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6427 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Re: Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat [#permalink]
karishma

Could you please explain why negation did not worked out for B here?

Many thanks
Vikas

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
diegmat wrote:
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings. Thus paleontologists' recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

A) Sandactylus would not have had networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings if these networks were of no use to Sandactylus.

B) All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

C) Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

D) If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly be able to find some evidence that it did so.

E) Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.

Responding to a pm:

This is not an easy question - especially if you are trying to explain the answer.
So first let's try to understand how the argument is structured. I will use variables to make it easier:

Given Argument:

What is the assumption? That A must have had a purpose in Dinos too (getting rid of B). You cannot have A without having a job for it. Just because Dinos had A, we are concluding that they must have had B too. We are assuming that A must have had a purpose. This is option (A) and is the answer.

Are we assuming that we cannot get rid of B without A? No. (This is what option (E) says)
In this argument, the assumption would have been that we cannot get rid of B without A.
But given the original argument, this is not the assumption. Hence, answer is not (E).

In case of A, I am not clear how can we assume that the function of networks of blood vessels in Bat's wings is SAME as the function of networks of blood vessels in Dino's wings! It may happen that networks of blood vessels in Bat's wings are used for only to disperse heat generated in flight, whereas networks of blood vessels in Bat's wings are used for only to circulate blood or anything else.

Would you please help me to get out of it?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mahmud6 wrote:
diegmat wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Given Argument:

In case of A, I am not clear how can we assume that the function of networks of blood vessels in Bat's wings is SAME as the function of networks of blood vessels in Dino's wings! It may happen that networks of blood vessels in Bat's wings are used for only to disperse heat generated in flight, whereas networks of blood vessels in Bat's wings are used for only to circulate blood or anything else.

Would you please help me to get out of it?

I understand what you are saying. Here is something to consider: Even if you feel that it is an assumption, do you suggest another option as the answer? If yes, which one and why?
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja abhimahna GMATNinjaTwo

Please explain why "E" is wrong and why "A" is correct? Also, please give the correct negation of each option.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 739 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
GPA: 3
Send PM
Someone please explain Why B and D are wrong confused here :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Quote:

(A) Sandactylus would not have had networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings if these networks were of no use to Sandactylus.

(B) Not All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

(C) Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would not have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

(D) If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly not be able to find some evidence that it did so.

(E) Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2,VeritasPrepKarishma
it took me many hours to review this question.

First, i have no idea where is my reasoning wrong?
(E) Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.

E is bit complex, i simplify E,
flapping generats heat, and the heat CANNOT be dispersed without blood vessels.
in other word, no blood vessel , no dispersed heat.
it meants blood vessel is necessary to dispersed heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping.
because Sandactylus has blood vessel, so it can disperse heat generated in flapping, then provide the evidence that sandactylus flew by flapping its wings,not just by gliding.

second
if negate E,
(E) Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not COULD have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.
then negative (E) means there are other ways to disperse the heat generated by flapping.
so whether sandactylus has blood vessels does not provide evidence for the hypothesis,
Does it weaken ?
I think it does weaken.

BUT E is incorrect.

I think i must be wrong, but i have no idea where.
Please point out.

mostly, Assumption questions cost me lots of time and energy and i barely get right choice.

Genuinely your help.

Have a nice day
>_~
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:

(A) Sandactylus would not have had networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings if these networks were of no use to Sandactylus.

(B) Not All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

(C) Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would not have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

(D) If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly not be able to find some evidence that it did so.

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2,VeritasPrepKarishma
it took me many hours to review this question.

First, i have no idea where is my reasoning wrong?

in other word, no blood vessel , no dispersed heat.
it meants blood vessel is necessary to dispersed heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping.
because Sandactylus has blood vessel, so it can disperse heat generated in flapping, then provide the evidence that sandactylus flew by flapping its wings,not just by gliding.

second
if negate E,
(E) Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not COULD have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.
then negative (E) means there are other ways to disperse the heat generated by flapping.
so whether sandactylus has blood vessels does not provide evidence for the hypothesis,
Does it weaken ?
I think it does weaken.

BUT E is incorrect.

I think i must be wrong, but i have no idea where.
Please point out.

mostly, Assumption questions cost me lots of time and energy and i barely get right choice.

Genuinely your help.

Have a nice day
>_~

Not sure if you have seen my previous post which discusses exactly why (E) is not the answer. Let me give it again here:

let's try to understand how the argument is structured. I will use variables to make it easier:

Given Argument:

In this argument, we are assuming that presence of B implies presence of A to get rid of B. The assumption is that we cannot get rid of B without A.

Does this help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi Karishma VeritasPrepKarishma
Frankly, I did read your explanation, and my interpretation is that , based on the discovery, the paleontologists conclude the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping, in other words, paleontologists fist got the discovery, then conclude a hypothesis from the discovery,
per your explanation, you point out a reverse logic that paleontologists first suppose Sandactylus did have heat generated from flapping if E is assumption, did i miss something or misunderstand?

When i reviewed this question yesteday, i tried to analyse E by myself, then new question came up,

Assumption is defined --an unstated evidence, without assumption, the author won't believe the conclusion is true.

in other word, no blood vessel , no dispersed heat, Am I right?

then, i think if Sandactylus has blood vessel, then they can dispersed the heat, right?
I am not sure where is incorrect.

If i use negative skill, then i think E break the argument.

so the discovery that sandactylus has blood vessels does not provide evidence for the hypothesis,
Does it weaken ?
I think it does weaken.

Would you please point out the errors of my reasoning

Please ~~~

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, @sayantanc2,@VeritasPrepKarishma
i think i got one of my reasoning problems , but new question came up , genuinely need you help to confirm.

here is my incorrect reasoning
because Sandactylus has blood vessel, so it can disperse heat generated in flapping, then provide the evidence that sandactylus flew by flapping its wings,not just by gliding.-- is incorrect.

Please check following

zoezhuyan wrote:
in other word, no blood vessel , no dispersed heat, Am I right?

up to there, i hold my reasoning

zoezhuyan wrote:
then, i think if Sandactylus has blood vessel, then they can dispersed the heat, right?

here, i think my reasoning --because Sandactylus has blood vessel, so it can disperse heat generated in flapping, then provide the evidence that sandactylus flew by flapping its wings,not just by gliding.-- is incorrect.
i reviewed the following
mikemcgarry wrote:
These are the words "necessary" and "sufficient." One way to say it is as follows:
"A is necessary for B." Here we know that if A doesn't happen, then B would not happen. If A does happen, then it may or may not be true that B can happen.

mikemcgarry wrote:
The word "sufficient" summaries the opposite relationship.
"A is sufficient for B." This means that if A happens, we know that B must be true; in other words, A is a guarantee for B. If A doesn't happen, then B may or may not be true.

so i think E is a necesary assumption, in other words, blood vessel is necessary assumption to dispersed heated generated by flapping
if sandactylus has blood vessels, it maybe dispered heated generated by flapping, maybe not.

So my rasoning is incorrect.

Wait a minute,a new problem,
according the stimulus, Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. This heat is generated only because bats flap their wings.
Can i then get that Sandaytlus can disperse heat generated in flapping, then provide the evidence that sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding ?

Further confused between assumption, necessary assumption.
Is necessary assumption a branch of assumption?
An assumption is unstated something that the author must believe to be true in order to draw a certain conclusion
Does it mean if the assumption happens, it can lead to the conclusion?
A is necessary for B, if A doesn't happen, then B would not happen.
necessary assumption is a branch of assumption?

i am still confused the following:
Quote:
I am not sure where is incorrect.

If i use negative skill, then i think E break the argument.

so the discovery that sandactylus has blood vessels does not provide evidence for the hypothesis,
Does it weaken ?
I think it does weaken.

All, please help,

Thank in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Send PM
Hi,

Could you help with my reasoning on negating option B? I'm not sure which of the below negation is correct

"NOT ALL creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings" --> If I negate like this, then the conclusion does not fall apart as some creatures that can fly by flapping their wings may still have the blood vessels, and thus B is not the answer

However, if the negation is :"All creatures that fly by flapping their wings DO NOT have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings", then this mean that if the Dinos have blood vessels in the skin of their wings, they CANNOT fly by flapping their wings, and therefore the Conclusion is no longer true --> B is the assumption needed

What is wrong with my negation reasoning here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
diegmat wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Given Argument:

VeritasKarishma
can i go by only if A ,then B logic here
can i say
only if dispersion of heat required,then network of blood vessels exists
which means
if dispersion not required ,then no blood vessles

A) says they would not have blood vessels if they are of no use(i.e no dispersion as dispersion is their only use)
is the application only if A ,then B logic here
done correct by me ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
The correct answer is option (A).

Understanding the passage:

Bats flap their wings in flight -> this causes heat to be generated -> networks of blood vessels in the bat's wings disperse this heat.

The passage states that heat is generated only because bats flap their wings, and this network of blood vessels exist, only for the purpose of heat dissipation. i.e. no other reason for heat generation, and no other reason for existence of blood vessels.

Recent Discovery: Sandactylus (a winged dinosaur) had similar networks of blood vessels in their wings

Hypothesis of the paleontologists (in this case, also the conclusion of this argument): Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.

Logic of the hypothesis: Because we have seen that such networks existed only to dissipate heat caused by flapping of the wings during flight in bats, the existence of these networks should mean that Sandactylus too, flew by flapping its wings.

Thought Process:

An assumption is that implicit thought which is not stated, but has to be true for the conclusion to hold true. So, if an assumption is not true (negated), then the conclusion should break. A failsafe way to identify the assumptions is to identify the conditions under which the conclusion would definitely break.

So, let us falsify the conclusion:

In what scenario would Sandactylus not fly, by flapping its wings?

Condition: What if unlike bats, in Sandactylus, the blood vessel networks in the wings did not serve any purpose i.e. they just existed (like a vestigeal entity)? Then, the existence of blood vessel networks is not proof of heat generation, which implies we cannot definitely say that Sandactylus flapped its wings to fly. This condition will actually break down our conclusion.

Hence the Assumption is: It is not possible that Sandactylus had networks of blood vessels in its wings, unless they served some purpose.

Let us look at the option choices.

This statement uses different words to convey the same meaning as our assumption! This essentially means that the blood vessels served some purpose for Sandactylus. From the passage, we know that the only use blood vessels served was to dissipate heat, which is proof of wing flapping.

We can negate this option to double check - if the blood vessels served no purpose, then we can not say that it was used to dissipate heat generated by flapping of wings. We can not definitely say then Sandactylus flew by flapping their wings. Hence, this assumption is the correct one.

(B) All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

Even if this is true, this does not mean that Sandactylus flew by flapping their wings. All A has B, does not imply that All B has A.

(C) Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

Irrelevant. Effectiveness of flight has nothing to do with our conclusion.

(D) If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly be able to find some evidence that it did so.

Paleontologists already found some evidence (the blood vessels). This option also, has no real impact on the conclusion.

Interesting choice. But this is also incorrect.

Let us say Heat generated = A; Blood Vessels = B Any other means of heat dissipation = C.

The assumption is A can be dispersed only by B, not by C.

Negated assumption: A can be dispersed by B and C.

Even if this is true, from the passage, the sole purpose of B is to dissipate A. So, existence of B will imply presence of A. Or in other words, as long as blood vessel networks exist for the sole purpose of heat dissipation, heat dissipation and therefore, flapping of wings for flight can be inferred based on the passage logic. The presence of other heat dissipating means (C) will not make any difference to the conclusion drawn.

Hence, this is not the correct option.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM

(B) All creatures that fly by flapping their wings have networks of blood vessels in the skin of their wings.

(C) Winged dinosaurs that flapped their wings in flight would have been able to fly more effectively than winged dinosaurs that could only glide.

(D) If Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, then paleontologists would certainly be able to find some evidence that it did so.

Bats
P1)
function => ONLY to disperse heat

P2)
Cause effect
Only flapping -> heat is generated.

Evidence of similar network in Dino.
Conclusion: Dino flew by flapping

Assumptions: What is relevant for Bats is relevant for Winged Dons.
1) ONLY Flapping produces heat in dinos just as in bats.
2) The network functions ONLY to dissipate heat/not help them fly or any other function.

E) ONLY network can dissipate heat
Wrong
Would be correct if Premises were
[only] Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve to

A) IF networks were of no use, dinos would not have them. (In line with 2)
Contra Dinos have them -> networks are of use.
We know that Dinos have them as per evidence.
These networks should have atleast 1 function in line with assumption 2 i.e. to dissipate heat.
Before these networks can have this function as the ONLY function

If networks don’t even have a single function, how can they have an ONLY function

Negate
Dinos have them -> networks are not of use.
Breaks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Took me 10 minutes. I really wanted to understand what the argument was about. And that's key to answering this question. Once you figure that out...you won't be tempted by the devil into choosing E, the main antagonist in this problem.

Correct …suppose the networks were of no use (i.e. they didn’t disperse the heat generated from flight)…then the hypothesis is ruined…

-we know that the Sandactylus has networks of blood vessels in its wings…
-not the assumption

-this talks about the effectiveness of flight using flapping…strengthens the argument, but not the assumption

-this is a conditional expressing uncertainty, that if true, would strengthen the hypothesis by providing evidence for the species’ flapping

-tempting choice…this is just a justification for the presence of networks of blood vessels in the skin
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings(N) serve only to disperse heat generated in flight. (H)
N---> only H
This heat is generated (H)only because bats flap their wings(F).
H---> only F
Thus paleontologists' recent discovery that the winged dinosaur Sandactylus had similar networks of blood vessels in the skin of its wings provides evidence for the hypothesis that Sandactylus flew by flapping its wings, not just by gliding.
Found N--> Its means F

Given: Only F ---> H ---> N + others
Found: Because N--> so must b F

Assumption: It means F leads to H and H must have lead to N.

N only for F- yes
If no then it must be of no use because N is used only for H
Correct

H can lead to N , H can also lead to others . Because only network is responsble for H, but H can be bring to N and anything else
Hence incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
diegmat wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Given Argument:

Thank you KarishmaB for you nice explanation.

Recently i have learnt about Necessary Assumption and sufficient Assumption from one of your posts. Since then I have been trying understand the differences between them and how they work. My understanding is Necessary Assumption is the minimum qualifying assumption that author must made to reach his/her conclusion. It may or may not ensure the authenticity of the conclusion. whereas Sufficient Assumption, validifies the conclusion, sometimes extending to a degree not needed to reach author conclusion. Now my question is whether option B and E fall into the Sufficient Assumption category?

Sorry for my choice of words. Hope you understand my point.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Networks of blood vessels in bats' wings serve only to disperse heat [#permalink]
While I understand the logic and rationale behind the correct option A, I have a small doubt with respect to the NEGATION technique as it is very useful to eliminate SUFFICIENT assumptions (trap option choices) in order to arrive at the NECESSARY assumption (correct answer choice). I would just request an expert to VALIDATE if my understanding and interpretations are correct. I have had great learnings from this official question, I just don't want to TAKE AWAY something WRONG.

My question is: What is the correct NEGATION (And, the correct INTERPRETATION of the NEGATED statement) of OPTION E?

Option (E): Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight could not have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.

NEGATED Option (E):
Heat generated by Sandactylus in flapping its wings in flight COULD have been dispersed by anything other than the blood vessels in its wings.

Now, I am trying to interpret the above negated sentence:

Interpretation 1: Heat generated could be dispersed by anything other than blood vessels INCLUDING blood vessels?
=> Heat generated by flapping of wings could still be dispersed by Blood vessels. And, since the presence of blood vessels STILL implies that dinos fly by flapping wings, the negated statement is NOT completely WEAKENING the conclusion. The Option E is not a NECESSARY Assumption.

Interpretation 2: Heat generated could be dispersed by anything other than blood vessels EXCLUDING blood vessels?
=> The conclusion that "the presence of blood vessels implies flapping of wings" WILL be WEAKENED. Hence, Option E will be a NECESSARY ASSUMPTION.

Since, as per the OA, Option E is not the Assumption, Interpretation 1 is the clear WINNER. Interpretation 2 is Wrong.

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts