Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]

Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]

Send PM
Re: Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write the headlines [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
Tough stimulus.

I took the 'clever' in the stimulus as mischievous or agenda-driven. My analysis: Reporters write clever (mischievous/agenda-driven) headlines and therefore they should not write headlines of their stories.

How do we infer that readers may not understand and therefore may not appreciate the headline ?

Experts, Please help on this one.

"Clever" just means intelligent and original. "Mischievous/agenda-driven" goes a bit too far -- we can't say that the reporters have such devious reasons for writing clever titles. They might just do it for their own amusement, or because they forget that other people might not have the necessary context, or for many other reasons.

As for inferring that readers may not understand and therefore may not appreciate the headline: think about the author's argument as a whole. He/she thinks that reporters shouldn't be allowed to write headlines. Why? Because they write headlines that reference "little-known information," and then they don't write about that information in the rest of the article. So if readers don't know the "little-known information" before they read the article, they're not going to understand the headline. Then, even if they read the article, they're STILL not going to understand headline because the reporter doesn't even include the necessary info in the story.

Including "little-known information" in a headline, and then failing to provide any further details in the story, makes it likely that many readers won't understand the headline.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Re: Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write the headlines [#permalink]
GMATNinja - should one approach such tough CR questions through process of elimination? Because even after spending 10mins I was not able to make sense of how the right answer is right! Can you please share some insights? Is it that the high scorers are more better at eliminating at wrong choices than they are at selecting the right choices?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
P : reporters allude to information that is familiar to the reporter but does not appear in the story.
S :
C : Editors should not allow reporters to write headlines

A : OOS, Being better placed does not explain the reason why editors should not allow reporters to write headlines.
B : PA, According to the premise, reporters are already familiar with the topic.
C : OOS, Knowing what other reporters have written does not help in strengthening the given conclusion.
D : OOS, In such case, mentioned few people might consider the headline as clever. However, no information is given about the relationship between editor – reporter – story – reader.
E : Correct. This option clearly provides information regarding the editor, reporter, story, and reader.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:
GMATNinja - should one approach such tough CR questions through process of elimination? Because even after spending 10mins I was not able to make sense of how the right answer is right! Can you please share some insights? Is it that the high scorers are more better at eliminating at wrong choices than they are at selecting the right choices?

Process of elimination is definitely the way to approach ALL CR questions. We should always look to find reasons that answers are wrong, rather than reasons that answers are right. Perhaps check out our CR guide for beginners or our live verbal videos for more on that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct Option E

Argument: Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write the headlines for their own stories.
Support to Argument Reason: while the headlines that reporters themselves write are often clever,
what typically makes them clever is that they allude to little-known information
that is familiar to the reporter but
that never appears explicitly in the story itself.

To Strengthen: Comparison between Editor and Reporter, Editor written headlines are clever than Reporter

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The reporter who writes a story is usually better placed than
the reporters' editor is to judge what the story's most newsworthy features are.
Wrong: Strengthen reporter than editor, weaken the argument

(B) To write a headline that is clever, a person must have sufficient understanding of the story that the headline accompanies.
Wrong: No comparison between Editor and Reporter

(C) Most reporters rarely bother to find out how other reporters have written stories and headlines about the same events that they themselves have covered.
Wrong: Comparison between Many reporters to other reporters

(D) For virtually any story that a reporter writes, there are at least a few people who know more about the story's subject matter than does the reporter.
Wrong: gives information about Reporter, his story, known to another reporter

(E) The kind of headlines that newspaper editors want are those that anyone who has read a reporter's story in its entirety will recognize as clever.
Correct: Comparison between Editor and Reporter, Editor written headlines are clever than Reporter
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
AjiteshArun sir,
Can you please throw some light why is option B incorrect and E correct?
Not able to decide between the two.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
AjiteshArun sir,
Can you please throw some light why is option B incorrect and E correct?
Not able to decide between the two.

Thanks

Hi krndatta,

Option B says that only people with sufficient understanding of the story can write a clever headline. But reporters are in a very good position to understand their own stories, so this is the opposite of what we want.

Option E says that editors want headlines to make sense to anyone who reads the article. But (as given in the stimulus) reporters use information that they possess, information that isn't there in the story itself. So if editors want people who read the story to understand the headline, but reporters use information that doesn't appear in the story, then editors shouldn't let reporters write headlines for their own stories.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Hi AndrewN, would you mind providing your analysis of this official question. It took me a long time to break down the argument, and connect the premise with the conclusion, i.e., Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write headlines for their own stories because while the headlines that reporters themselves write are clever, they are clever only because they allude to little known information that is familiar to the reporter (Inference - Most readers will not be able to appreciate the clever headlines). How to arrive the strengthen framework in cases where one finds difficulty in connecting the premise (including inferences) with the conclusion?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
ritikajuneja39 wrote:
Hi AndrewN, would you mind providing your analysis of this official question. It took me a long time to break down the argument, and connect the premise with the conclusion, i.e., Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write headlines for their own stories because while the headlines that reporters themselves write are clever, they are clever only because they allude to little known information that is familiar to the reporter (Inference - Most readers will not be able to appreciate the clever headlines). How to arrive the strengthen framework in cases where one finds difficulty in connecting the premise (including inferences) with the conclusion?

Hello, ritikajuneja. I am not sure why, but I stopped receiving e-mail notifications from GMAT Club earlier today, and I only found your query by checking my messages and replies on the site itself. In any case, it can help, when encountering particularly dense or lengthy sentences, to parse the information so that you can better put the pieces together:

ArgumentNewspaper editors should not allow reporters to write headlines for their own stories
This part is easy to follow. Note the opinionated language in should not. I would not change anything.

Reason (part one)because while the headlines that reporters themselves write are clever
The while clause forces us to put everything about because on hold for a moment, but we can summarize the clause-within-a-clause a little differently: even though reporters write clever headlines...

Reason (part two)[the headlines] are clever only because they allude to little known information that is familiar to the reporter
The headlines are clever for one reason: the reporter knows how to interpret them.

Inference—Since the information in question is little known to others, the headlines will not be appreciated (seen as clever) by many other readers. So, the argument makes sense.

At this point, you would be ready to take on the answer choices. Do not be afraid to break down larger blocks of text into more digestible (linguistic) chunks. Some people label this process pre-thinking, and that is fine. Just make sure you find a way to engage with the passage so that you do not fish around in the answer choices for something that sounds reasonable. You should make understanding the passage a priority before moving on to the answers.

I think several fine analyses have been given above to the question on the whole. If you have further queries, though, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write the headlines [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
Tough stimulus.

I took the 'clever' in the stimulus as mischievous or agenda-driven. My analysis: Reporters write clever (mischievous/agenda-driven) headlines and therefore they should not write headlines of their stories.

How do we infer that readers may not understand and therefore may not appreciate the headline ?

"Clever" just means intelligent and original. "Mischievous/agenda-driven" goes a bit too far -- we can't say that the reporters have such devious reasons for writing clever titles. They might just do it for their own amusement, or because they forget that other people might not have the necessary context, or for many other reasons.

As for inferring that readers may not understand and therefore may not appreciate the headline: think about the author's argument as a whole. He/she thinks that reporters shouldn't be allowed to write headlines. Why? Because they write headlines that reference "little-known information," and then they don't write about that information in the rest of the article. So if readers don't know the "little-known information" before they read the article, they're not going to understand the headline. Then, even if they read the article, they're STILL not going to understand headline because the reporter doesn't even include the necessary info in the story.

Including "little-known information" in a headline, and then failing to provide any further details in the story, makes it likely that many readers won't understand the headline.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
I struggled with this question for similar reasons as the GMATClub member above in that I did not know how "clever" was being defined in this context.

Clever can take on slightly different meanings according to the dictionary (e.g., quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas, intelligent etc.). Based on your response, when approaching these questions, should you exclusively rely on what is in the question to define the word "clever"/use this approach for future Critical Reasoning problems?

From what I understood based on your response, you defined "clever" exclusively based on what is mentioned in the question stem in that clever is "little-known information" that is "familiar to the reporter" and "is not mentioned in the story below the headline".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
Tough stimulus.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja
I struggled with this question for similar reasons as the GMATClub member above in that I did not know how "clever" was being defined in this context.

Clever can take on slightly different meanings according to the dictionary (e.g., quick to understand, learn, and devise or apply ideas, intelligent etc.). Based on your response, when approaching these questions, should you exclusively rely on what is in the question to define the word "clever"/use this approach for future Critical Reasoning problems?

From what I understood based on your response, you defined "clever" exclusively based on what is mentioned in the question stem in that clever is "little-known information" that is "familiar to the reporter" and "is not mentioned in the story below the headline".

As you point out, the word "clever" can have different shades of meaning in different situations. So how can we know which exact meaning "clever" has in this passage?

As you suggest, it's all about the context. Notice, the author doesn't describe the headlines as "clever" and leave it at that. In fact, the author specifies exactly what makes the headlines clever: "they allude to little-known information that is familiar to the reporter but that never appears explicitly in the story itself." In fact, the argument hinges less on the word "clever" than the fact that these headlines "allude to little-known information..."

In other words, the author's description of the headlines ("alluding to little-known information...) is more important to the argument than the fact that the author considers the headlines "clever."

Generally speaking, the context of a passage will tell you everything you need to know about any unusual vocabulary (or somewhat-unusual definitions of relatively common words). So instead of worry about every possible shade of meaning of a certain word, it's better to focus on how the author is using it, and how it functions in the argument.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
ganand wrote:
Newspaper editors should not allow reporters to write the headlines for their own stories. The reason for this is that, while the headlines that reporters themselves write are often clever, what typically makes them clever is that they allude to little-known information that is familiar to the reporter but that never appears explicitly in the story itself.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The reporter who writes a story is usually better placed than the reporters' editor is to judge what the story's most newsworthy features are.

(B) To write a headline that is clever, a person must have sufficient understanding of the story that the headline accompanies.

(C) Most reporters rarely bother to find out how other reporters have written stories and headlines about the same events that they themselves have covered.

(D) For virtually any story that a reporter writes, there are at least a few people who know more about the story's subject matter than does the reporter.

(E) The kind of headlines that newspaper editors want are those that anyone who has read a reporter's story in its entirety will recognize as clever.

The question wants us to find the answer that strengthens the argument. So we need to clearly define the purpose of the argument before looking at the options. The argument focuses on not allowing reporters to write their own headlines, because the reporters use information that isn't mentioned in the story and people reading wouldn't know. So we should find an option that enforces the argument we found.

A, and D don't mention the argument, which is that "reporters should not write their own headline".

B mentions the headline but doesn't strengthen the argument, B weakens it.

C is out of scope, while it mentions the headline it doesn't strengthen or weaken it.

E pretty much recycles the reason mentioned in the paragraph but enforces why reporter's shouldn't write their own headline by addressing "allude to little-known information that is familiar to the reporter but that never appears explicitly in the story itself". Editors want a headline that ANY person will think is clever after reading the story, not just people familiar with information not in the story. Correct!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 460 Q30 V23
GMAT 2: 500 Q39 V20
Send PM
Original Argument in Standard Form:

(1) What makes headlines written by reporters often clever is that they allude little-information that is familiar to the reporter but never appears in the story itself.
(2) ................. [Strengthener Missing]

I hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts