Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [30]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [9]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [3]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: Nicole would be allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and li [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
What is the subject? Is not her score the subject?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Nicole would be allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and li [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sonusaini1 wrote:
What is the subject? Is not her score the subject
There are two subject-verb pairs in this sentence.

Nicole would be allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and liberal studies programs if her score were at least six points higher.

We go for were even though score is singular as the sentence wants to present a hypothetical scenario.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
Send PM
Can anyone explain why option B is incorrect? I cant find any difference between option A and B. Both are talking about the same thing.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
smita123 wrote:
Can anyone explain why option B is incorrect? I cant find any difference between option A and B. Both are talking about the same thing.
I get your point, that most people will understand what you mean even if you go with B, but as arimich pointed out, it's likely that the author of this sentence wants to say that she ("Nicole") needs ≥ 6 points. Option B seems to limit us to exactly 6 points.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Nicole would be allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and li [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun: Thank your for the clarifications. I have one doubt here.

I understood the point that because A uses the SUBJUNCTIVE form.

But why is E wrong?

Can't we use Past perfect for situations that happened before another past event?

As i see here, She does not have 6 points higher when she applied for the courses. And thus she was denied admission. Both of these events happened in the past and not having a score high enough happened before she even applied to the course.

MartyTargetTestPrep daagh GMATNinja egmat: I would appreciate your inputs too.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [2]
Given Kudos: 187
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Nicole would be allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and li [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun wrote:
Vinit800HBS wrote:
AjiteshArun: Thank your for the clarifications. I have one doubt here.

But why is E wrong?

Can't we use Past perfect for situations that happened before another past event?

As i see here, She does not have 6 points higher when she applied for the courses. And thus she was denied admission. Both of these events happened in the past and not having a score high enough happened before she even applied to the course.

MartyTargetTestPrep daagh GMATNinja egmat: I would appreciate your inputs too.
The person who made this sentence probably wants to present what option E says as a "past hypothetical". In such a case, we'd actually get a "would have been" in the result. However, before you take a look at the following examples, keep in mind that the usage of the conditional is not as clear-cut in English, and that this is not an official question.

1. Let's say that there's a report that predicts that the temperature increase due to global warming will be 3 degrees.

If the temperature increase were more than 4 degrees, a lot more international cooperation would be needed to avert disaster.
This means that in the (hypothetical) scenario that the increase "were" more than 4, a lot more international cooperation would be needed.

2. Now, let's say that the study discusses what happened in the past. The actual increase was 3 degrees.

If the temperature increase had been more than 4 degrees, a lot more international cooperation would have been needed to avert disaster.
This is talking about the past. If the past increase had been (again, this is hypothetical) more than 4, a lot more international cooperation would have been needed.

3. Similarly, in this question, the author would have asked for the following sentence if E had been the correct option:

Nicole would have been allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and liberal studies programs if her score had been at least six points higher.
or, if we flip it:
If her score had been at least six points higher, Nicole would have been allowed to choose among the honors, enrichment, and liberal studies programs.

However, because the non-underlined portion is fixed, we'll have to avoid choosing E.

Wow, that cleared a whole bunch of doubts that had germinated in my mind. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Quote:
Thank your for the clarifications. I have one doubt here.

But why is E wrong?

Vinit800HBS

E is wrong because it doesn't use subjunctive form. Past perfect goes out the window with subjunctive. It's just something to memorise. Plus with if-then conditionals, specifically conditional perfects, an if + past perfect should be followed by would have - not would.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM