It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 241

Kudos [?]: 277 [2], given: 8

Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 09:23
2
This post received
KUDOS
9
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:23) correct 56% (01:31) wrong based on 696 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly opened video store Movie Tapes, which sells specialty videocassettes, began an ambitious publicity campaign to promote the sale of their tapes over more technologically advanced DVDs. After six months in business, Movie Tapes found that its sales had doubled — in fact, it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies. Clearly, the publicity campaign was responsible for Movie Tapes' video cassettes selling better than DVDs.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A) DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
B) The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
C) Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.
D) A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
E) Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fluke on 30 Aug 2011, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA per bschool83's suggestion

Kudos [?]: 277 [2], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1629

Kudos [?]: 1120 [1], given: 109

Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 12:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
+1 D

The public library explains the increase in the selling of videocassettes.
B is tempting but the choice doesn't mention that the school is buying now videocassettes.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1120 [1], given: 109

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 182

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 21

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 13:18
+1 for D...

struck of B on the pretext that : even if schools did buy cassettes - they would buy teaching videos and not movies :-)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 103

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 15:53
D explains why the sale of tapes has increased.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 672

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 19:10
I will go with D here.

What is the OA?

Crick

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Status: How can I crack Verbal
Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 206

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2011, 08:41
+1 for D

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 232

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 25

Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2011, 10:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
Explains the features of DVD neither support nor weakens conclusion - incorrect
The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
School uses VCR- no evideance to conclude that school bought movies from store - incorrect
Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.
Premise in argument states that 'it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies'. what if the movies sold by store are not available on DVD, in that case customer are force to by Videocassates - correct
A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
What if the library has brought all the cassates before the add compain - to much to assume hence incorrect
Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.
answer does not affect the conclusion

THE answer Should be C ... any other explaination
_________________

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 25

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 81

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2011, 14:48
+1 for C .

Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD. Hence one doesn't have much option, except to go for a Videocassette.

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 14

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Information Technology
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2011, 10:58
I will go with C too. Library started to buy video cassettes to lend. It never says from who. (May be it bought it online). Now, if they had movies that came out in vhs format, that can possibly explain their sales.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2011, 13:43
The answer is C IMO, if only a limited amount of the movies are available on DVD, that means they might have sold out at some point, which accounts for why the sale of videocassettes would have increased at some period in time.

The reason it isn't D is because it doesn't weaken the conclusion, it negates the premise. If customers were borrowing the movie, then they weren't purchasing it.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 34

VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1283

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2011, 21:54
choice is between C and D.

it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies.
-- clearly takes out C,as the sales is being compared with sales of other stores.

D it is.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 118

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:11
D +1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1965

Kudos [?]: 2089 [0], given: 376

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 00:55
bschool83 wrote:
Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly opened video store Movie Tapes, which sells specialty videocassettes, began an ambitious publicity campaign to promote the sale of their tapes over more technologically advanced DVDs. After six months in business, Movie Tapes found that its sales had doubled — in fact, it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies. Clearly, the publicity campaign was responsible for Movie Tapes' video cassettes selling better than DVDs.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.
A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.


We can rule out C because the comparison is between "Cassettes in Movie Tapes AND DVD's in all other stores". Had the comparison been between "Cassettes in Movie Tapes AND DVD's in Movie Tapes", then C could have been a possible weakener.

"D" gives us a reason why the increase in sales could be because of the library purchase and not because of the campaign.

Ans: "D"
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2089 [0], given: 376

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 34

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 07:57
fluke wrote:
bschool83 wrote:
Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly opened video store Movie Tapes, which sells specialty videocassettes, began an ambitious publicity campaign to promote the sale of their tapes over more technologically advanced DVDs. After six months in business, Movie Tapes found that its sales had doubled — in fact, it had sold twice as many copies of movies on tape as all the other stores in town had sold on DVD of the same movies. Clearly, the publicity campaign was responsible for Movie Tapes' video cassettes selling better than DVDs.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

DVDs include special features that enhance the viewing experience.
The local school system uses only VCRs in the classroom.
Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.
A month before the campaign began, the public library started buying videocassettes to lend.
Neither the price of DVDs nor that of videocassettes has risen in two years.


We can rule out C because the comparison is between "Cassettes in Movie Tapes AND DVD's in all other stores". Had the comparison been between "Cassettes in Movie Tapes AND DVD's in Movie Tapes", then C could have been a possible weakener.

"D" gives us a reason why the increase in sales could be because of the library purchase and not because of the campaign.

Ans: "D"



I disagree with your interpretation of answer C, it doesn't say DVD's in Movie Tapes. It's says the only a small number of the movies sold in the store are available on DVD. That means if someone wanted to purchase that movie on DVD, they would have a hard time finding it, because only a limited number are available.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 34

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1965

Kudos [?]: 2089 [0], given: 376

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 08:21
edoy56 wrote:
I disagree with your interpretation of answer C, it doesn't say DVD's in Movie Tapes. It's says the only a small number of the movies sold in the store are available on DVD. That means if someone wanted to purchase that movie on DVD, they would have a hard time finding it, because only a limited number are available.


Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.

The article "the" is talking precisely and only about Movie Tapes and no other store(s) in the town.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2089 [0], given: 376

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 181

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 34

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 10:40
1
This post received
KUDOS
fluke wrote:
edoy56 wrote:
I disagree with your interpretation of answer C, it doesn't say DVD's in Movie Tapes. It's says the only a small number of the movies sold in the store are available on DVD. That means if someone wanted to purchase that movie on DVD, they would have a hard time finding it, because only a limited number are available.


Only a very small number of the movies the store sells are available on DVD.

The article "the" is talking precisely and only about Movie Tapes and no other store(s) in the town.



If Movie Tapes only sells videocassettes, how can movies available on DVD apply to Movie Tapes? Better yet, why would they have a marketing campaign that would cannibalize an existing business of theirs. This might be thinking to much into it, but I'm sure the "the" refers to the selection of movies in the store.

What's the OA and OE?

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 34

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 191

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2011, 11:29
+1 D

New demand from public libraries resulted in the increase in sales.

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 59

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2011, 10:07
mrblack wrote:
+1 D

New demand from public libraries resulted in the increase in sales.


But it's THE library. I'm not sure whether one library would double the sales of such a company alone

Went for C

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 392

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 161

WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2011, 10:46
IMO C.

D might imply that the library bought 2 cassettes . doesnt mean they bought a big quantity.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 161

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 105

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2011, 05:38
+1 for C. OA plz?

it's too much of assumption that school lending increased the cassesttes sales vs DVD.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Re: CR - 700 level - dvd   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2011, 05:38

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 52 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Noting the success of DVDs in the marketplace, the newly

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.