Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:17 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [2]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
neo656 wrote:
Nelz2015 wrote:

That's a bit disappointing..HAAS is one of the schools I am applying to. I am a south asian female so that makes it even trickier :/ I can't be single during the mba though and don't want to be limited to only south asian guys. I guess this is over-thinking the whole thing. But I would not be too happy a single girl.

Duh, woman! Statistically speaking, you're low in number. And have high brains! or else you won't end up in Haas...
Stop thinking about it!
If you give even a 'slight' effort to go out with your fellow male students, you'll not end up being single...
We guys should be thinking that stuff, but honestly I am not feeling 'that' low on confidence... you should enjoy the perks of being female in b-school..

chill and all the best for your app...

hey I have never been to the US before so i have my fears :) UK had a mix of people..some were very liberal while some kept to their own. I like to know what I am getting into. But you are right..the male/female ratio works to our favour. It's just that some areas can be very close-minded. I want to make the right choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
Nelz2015 wrote:

That's a bit disappointing..HAAS is one of the schools I am applying to. I am a south asian female so that makes it even trickier :/ I can't be single during the mba though and don't want to be limited to only south asian guys. I guess this is over-thinking the whole thing. But I would not be too happy a single girl.

Duh, woman! Statistically speaking, you're low in number. And have high brains! or else you won't end up in Haas...
Stop thinking about it!
If you give even a 'slight' effort to go out with your fellow male students, you'll not end up being single...
We guys should be thinking that stuff, but honestly I am not feeling 'that' low on confidence... you should enjoy the perks of being female in b-school..

chill and all the best for your app...

Statistics is one thing. I happen to be one of those statistical outliers who have studied/worked in a field where the M:F ratio is about 9:1... and still managed to remain single at the age of 31. At the end of the day it's really all about maximizing your 'dateability' (80% looks + 15% personality + 5% intelligence) and managing your expectations. Obviously, you should try to better manage your expectations if the only thing you can possibly do to improve your dateability yields diminishing returns... as is in my case.

Rather depressing, actually. :cry:

As far as interracial dating, IMHO beautiful people are beautiful (hence highly dateable) irrespective of race. I used to think I was discriminated because I am Asian, but turns out it's just because I am a 6. Ok, 5. Good thing I didn't take my dad's advice to grow up pretty and marry rich (well actually, it's partly your fault, dad!).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Nelz2015 wrote:

hey I have never been to the US before so i have my fears :) UK had a mix of people..some were very liberal while some kept to their own. I like to know what I am getting into. But you are right..the male/female ratio works to our favour. It's just that some areas can be very close-minded. I want to make the right choices.

I have never been there as well... But in Malaysia, I don't see mixing up of ethnicities as much as I have witnessed in India. I would love to be believe that US is a step ahead of us in terms of liberal mindset...
Regarding getting to know about what you're getting into, update details about you in schools and interests tabs, and then ppl would be able to make more sense out of your comments and advise accordingly... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink]
appleamily wrote:

Statistics is one thing. I happen to be one of those statistical outliers who have studied/worked in a field where the M:F ratio is about 9:1... and still managed to remain single at the age of 31. At the end of the day it's really all about maximizing your 'dateability' (80% looks + 15% personality + 5% intelligence) and managing your expectations. Obviously, you should try to better manage your expectations if the only thing you can possibly do to improve your dateability yields diminishing returns... as is in my case.

Rather depressing, actually. :cry:

As far as interracial dating, IMHO beautiful people are beautiful (hence highly dateable) irrespective of race. I used to think I was discriminated because I am Asian, but turns out it's just because I am a 6. Ok, 5. Good thing I didn't take my dad's advice to grow up pretty and marry rich (well actually, it's partly your fault, dad!).

appleamily ... dateability is one thing, but another would be putting effort into sending the right message across or even taking the initiative ... how much score would you give yourself on that..?
just a thought...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:
appleamily ... dateability is one thing, but another would be putting effort into sending the right message across or even taking the initiative ... how much score would you give yourself on that..?
just a thought...

10!! But I always go for the reach, and never bothered shortlisting any safeties. D'oh!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT Date: 09-20-2014
Send PM
i read somewhere that the chances at harvard at the highest...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
appleamily wrote:
neo656 wrote:
just a thought...

10!! But I always go for the reach, and never bothered shortlisting any safeties. D'oh!

forget the safeties ... match / target would be good, wouldn't they? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:

Hmm. Guess I should have a consultant give me a profile evaluation. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
appleamily wrote:
neo656 wrote:

Hmm. Guess I should have a consultant give me a profile evaluation. :lol:

hahaha...
or may be contact a loveguru... :idea:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Nelz2015 wrote:

Oh I didn't want to make someone second guess their school choice!! I definitely think girls have the advantage in business schools, because there are so few of us, and I'd be ecstatic to go to Haas. While I've personally experienced many people that did graduate from both of those schools, it isn't everyone. Even I have hope that I'll find someone. I just found that places like NYC and Philadelphia were more open to inter-racial dating of all races. The problems I've faced here as a single half black/half white girl are things that wouldn't have been an issue for me when I was at school on the east coast. I don't think it means people are close-minded or bigoted at all. I just think people have pre-concieved ideas of what they think is attractive. Which isn't a problem I thought I'd face in such a liberal area as San Francisco.

Additionally, without getting too awkward, I don't think any Asian girls have anything to worry about.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bml1105 wrote:
Nelz2015 wrote:

Oh I didn't want to make someone second guess their school choice!! I definitely think girls have the advantage in business schools, because there are so few of us, and I'd be ecstatic to go to Haas. While I've personally experienced many people that did graduate from both of those schools, it isn't everyone. Even I have hope that I'll find someone. I just found that places like NYC and Philadelphia were more open to inter-racial dating of all races. The problems I've faced here as a single half black/half white girl are things that wouldn't have been an issue for me when I was at school on the east coast. I don't think it means people are close-minded or bigoted at all. I just think people have pre-concieved ideas of what they think is attractive. Which isn't a problem I thought I'd face in such a liberal area as San Francisco.

Additionally, without getting too awkward, I don't think any Asian girls have anything to worry about.

Now that's more like the tone that I am accustomed too... when it comes to females and b-schools...
Special emphasis on the closing sentence...
+1 to you ... :thumbup:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos
Hands down, very useful and interesting thread. I would like to add my 2 cents here, based on my experience and observation :)

I am an European (Caucasian) guy, who did his undergrad in West Europe and also did a study abroad semester in the US. What I noticed is:

*Guys generally, very few exceptions, don`t really care about the race of the girl. What is the most important thing is looks. Guys like attractive girls and diversity makes it even better :)

* Caucasian girls have strong preference towards North American and European guys. Rarely had I seen white (and attractive girl ) with a black guy. Never had I seen white girl with an asian guy.

* Looks play an extremely important part (especially in Europe). I cannot really say which gender tends to be more selective in terms of looks, but this tendency was more evident in Europe. Perhaps because ,generally speaking, people in Europe tend to care more about their appearance and , on average, both males and females look attractive, wearing the latest clothes, parfumes and so on..

* People in Europe tend to be much more conservative and prejudiced. A guy I met in Belgium told me that his grandather had told him he would leave him without inheritance unless he brings home a white (preferably blond) wife. I think in this regard people in Europe are at the level at which the ones in the US were in the 1970s.

* This is based strictly on one conversation with a Japanese girl. She told me that when dating, girls tend to think very long term and she would not, personally, date a guy from a country, in which she cannot envision herself living.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:
Hands down, very useful and interesting thread. I would like to add my 2 cents here, based on my experience and observation :)

I am an European (Caucasian) guy, who did his undergrad in West Europe and also did a study abroad semester in the US. What I noticed is:

*Guys generally, very few exceptions, don`t really care about the race of the girl. What is the most important thing is looks. Guys like attractive girls and diversity makes it even better :)

* Caucasian girls have strong preference towards North American and European guys. Rarely had I seen white (and attractive girl ) with a black guy. Never had I seen white girl with an asian guy.

* Looks play an extremely important part (especially in Europe). I cannot really say which gender tends to be more selective in terms of looks, but this tendency was more evident in Europe. Perhaps because ,generally speaking, people in Europe tend to care more about their appearance and , on average, both males and females look attractive, wearing the latest clothes, parfumes and so on..

* People in Europe tend to be much more conservative and prejudiced. A guy I met in Belgium told me that his grandather had told him he would leave him without inheritance unless he brings home a white (preferably blond) wife. I think in this regard people in Europe are at the level at which the ones in the US were in the 1970s.

* This is based strictly on one conversation with a Japanese girl. She told me that when dating, girls tend to think very long term and she would not, personally, date a guy from a country, in which she cannot envision herself living.

Excellent info! :thumbup:
Would it be possible to mention your b-school too? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ivan91 wrote:

That's what I said!! :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
appleamily wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

That's what I said!! :lol:

Point taken... But come on appleamily, are you trying to say that with all things in this world, you can't improve from 5-6 to 8-9 or even more? :shock:
Personality is one thing, but it's mere appearance and looks that we're referring to here.. :|
Manager
Manager
Send PM
neo656 wrote:

Point taken... But come on appleamily, are you trying to say that with all things in this world, you can't improve from 5-6 to 8-9 or even more? :shock:
Personality is one thing, but it's mere appearance and looks that we're referring to here.. :|

Are you suggesting that I divert my $100k MBA investment to "jobs" (in a clinical sense) that yield much better returns?

OMG, moment of epiphany!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
appleamily wrote:
neo656 wrote:

Are you suggesting that I divert my $100k MBA investment to "jobs" (in a clinical sense) that yield much better returns?

OMG, moment of epiphany!!

$100K!! You sure you're asian?! (harmless pun intended)
It won't cost even a fraction of that sum in elite hospitals of Malaysia, Indonesia, India or Thailand... I am sure even Central Asia will have decent hospitals doing those "jobs" at costs comparable to South and South-East Asia ...
your MBA investment would be safe with your b-school.. :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  23