GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 54
Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 22:05
neo656 wrote:
appleamily wrote:

Are you suggesting that I divert my $100k MBA investment to "jobs" (in a clinical sense) that yield much better returns?

OMG, moment of epiphany!!

$100K!! You sure you're asian?! (harmless pun intended)
It won't cost even a fraction of that sum in elite hospitals of Malaysia, Indonesia, India or Thailand... I am sure even Central Asia will have decent hospitals doing those "jobs" at costs comparable to South and South-East Asia ...
your MBA investment would be safe with your b-school.. :)


Obviously, you have no idea the scope of the "jobs" we're talking about here. :roll:

The real problem is, how do you explain to the guy when the baby comes out. :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Stay focused...
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 440
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 22:32
appleamily wrote:
Obviously, you have no idea the scope of the "jobs" we're talking about here. :roll:

The real problem is, how do you explain to the guy when the baby comes out. :shock:

The scope sounds massive... and you're ryt.. can't much explain to a guy... (unless he's a med-school applicant passing time on b-school forum!)
Let's give it up, but I'll be positive about your chances.. :)
:thumbup:
_________________

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Location: European union
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 00:48
Saying that you are doctor is the best way you can impress a girl. I cannot imagine saying to a girl that I am a plastic surgeon / cardiologist and not taking her pants off later on. My sister got her masters in journalism (or sth related) in UCLA and she told me all girls in her program + many from other faculties hoped to date a guy from the medical school.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 54
Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:02
Ivan91 wrote:
Saying that you are doctor is the best way you can impress a girl. I cannot imagine saying to a girl that I am a plastic surgeon / cardiologist and not taking her pants off later on. My sister got her masters in journalism (or sth related) in UCLA and she told me all girls in her program + many from other faculties hoped to date a guy from the medical school.


Yes. That's #37 from Barney Stinson's play book. True story.

And you shoulda gone for OBGYN for the pun. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Stay focused...
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 440
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:06
appleamily wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
Saying that you are doctor is the best way you can impress a girl. I cannot imagine saying to a girl that I am a plastic surgeon / cardiologist and not taking her pants off later on. My sister got her masters in journalism (or sth related) in UCLA and she told me all girls in her program + many from other faculties hoped to date a guy from the medical school.


Yes. That's #37 from Barney Stinson's play book. True story.

And you shoulda gone for OBGYN for the pun. :lol:

A woman recalling Barney's quotes ... even adding on top of it ..
this chat is going to be LEGEN…wait for it…DARY.
:punk
_________________

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 54
Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:19
1
neo656 wrote:

A woman recalling Barney's quotes ... even adding on top of it ..
this chat is going to be LEGEN…wait for it…DARY.
:punk


Also true story, I quoted that on one of my essays (well, because it is!!). Hope the adcom watch HIMYM. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Stay focused...
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 440
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:23
appleamily wrote:
neo656 wrote:

A woman recalling Barney's quotes ... even adding on top of it ..
this chat is going to be LEGEN…wait for it…DARY.
:punk


Also true story, I quoted that on one of my essays (well, because it is!!). Hope the adcom watch HIMYM. :wink:

lol... :lol:
too good ... :thumbup:
you just earned your first follower...
_________________

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Location: European union
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:27
1
I love it how in the US tv shows guys get the super hot girls so easy and whats better, the super hot girls always make the first step :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Stay focused...
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 440
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 01:29
Ivan91 wrote:
I love it how in the US tv shows guys get the super hot girls so easy and whats better, the super hot girls always make the first step :D

if you're earning couple of grands to fall for an on-screen idiot (may be off-screen douche bag too) .. that too for only a few episodes ..
doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.. :wink:
_________________

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 54
Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 02:00
Ivan91 wrote:
I love it how in the US tv shows guys get the super hot girls so easy and whats better, the super hot girls always make the first step :D


You should try lifetime movies sometime. It'll blow your mind. :roll:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 02:57
bml1105 wrote:
Nelz2015 wrote:
That's a bit disappointing..HAAS is one of the schools I am applying to. I am a south asian female so that makes it even trickier :/ I can't be single during the mba though and don't want to be limited to only south asian guys. I guess this is over-thinking the whole thing. But I would not be too happy a single girl.


Oh I didn't want to make someone second guess their school choice!! I definitely think girls have the advantage in business schools, because there are so few of us, and I'd be ecstatic to go to Haas. While I've personally experienced many people that did graduate from both of those schools, it isn't everyone. Even I have hope that I'll find someone. I just found that places like NYC and Philadelphia were more open to inter-racial dating of all races. The problems I've faced here as a single half black/half white girl are things that wouldn't have been an issue for me when I was at school on the east coast. I don't think it means people are close-minded or bigoted at all. I just think people have pre-concieved ideas of what they think is attractive. Which isn't a problem I thought I'd face in such a liberal area as San Francisco.

Additionally, without getting too awkward, I don't think any Asian girls have anything to worry about.


Actually I will still apply to Haas but I am just trying to prioritize. Planning always helps me. I believe the 'fit' is important and I just don't want to be in place which is close-minded. And I believe Asian girls have nothing to worry about but south asian (Pakistani to be specific) do. :/ Good to have someone on the forum who knows about this comparisons between areas. How a liberal people are in a place will be a huge factor for me :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 03:03
Ivan91 wrote:
Hands down, very useful and interesting thread. I would like to add my 2 cents here, based on my experience and observation :)

I am an European (Caucasian) guy, who did his undergrad in West Europe and also did a study abroad semester in the US. What I noticed is:

*Guys generally, very few exceptions, don`t really care about the race of the girl. What is the most important thing is looks. Guys like attractive girls and diversity makes it even better :)

* Caucasian girls have strong preference towards North American and European guys. Rarely had I seen white (and attractive girl ) with a black guy. Never had I seen white girl with an asian guy.

* Looks play an extremely important part (especially in Europe). I cannot really say which gender tends to be more selective in terms of looks, but this tendency was more evident in Europe. Perhaps because ,generally speaking, people in Europe tend to care more about their appearance and , on average, both males and females look attractive, wearing the latest clothes, parfumes and so on..

* People in Europe tend to be much more conservative and prejudiced. A guy I met in Belgium told me that his grandather had told him he would leave him without inheritance unless he brings home a white (preferably blond) wife. I think in this regard people in Europe are at the level at which the ones in the US were in the 1970s.

* This is based strictly on one conversation with a Japanese girl. She told me that when dating, girls tend to think very long term and she would not, personally, date a guy from a country, in which she cannot envision herself living.


I like your reply! So honest and detailed. Yes, I have seen european men can be very conscious of looks and have set standards of beauty. Though inter-racial dating exists, I have yet to see long term relationships form between europeans and south asians. Men in general like diversity when it comes to flings but not so much for settling down. I am not too worried about looks.. But I just want to be in a place where race doesn't factor that strongly because it becomes too limiting for both dating, and friendships.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Location: European union
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 08:37
The thing I noticed is that race does not really matters. What matters (more) is ethnicity. Ethnicity plays part to the extend to which one party decides to isolate him/herself and seek only people from their ethnicity. And when I say ethnicity, I mean religion. You mentioned that you are from Pakistan. Well, in the US there was in my uni a Pakistani clique and girls were wearing the burqa...which basically, at least to non-Muslim guys means "I am unavailable".

It is fair to say that Pakistani girls and Indian girls look similarly. I know two Caucasian guy - Indian girl couples, but I did not see a Caucasian guy - Pakistani girl couple, despite the fact that I am pretty sure Pakistani girls significantly outnumbered Indian ones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Stay focused...
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 440
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 09:23
Ivan91 wrote:
The thing I noticed is that race does not really matters. What matters (more) is ethnicity. Ethnicity plays part to the extend to which one party decides to isolate him/herself and seek only people from their ethnicity. And when I say ethnicity, I mean religion. You mentioned that you are from Pakistan. Well, in the US there was in my uni a Pakistani clique and girls were wearing the burqa...which basically, at least to non-Muslim guys means "I am unavailable".

It is fair to say that Pakistani girls and Indian girls look similarly. I know two Caucasian guy - Indian girl couples, but I did not see a Caucasian guy - Pakistani girl couple, despite the fact that I am pretty sure Pakistani girls significantly outnumbered Indian ones.

Since Nelz2015 is talking about interracial dating, is applying to high ranking b-schools and is talking about open-mindedness, then I'd like to take it for granted that she's not one of the burqa-clad women...
_________________

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2014
Posts: 449
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 12:59
Nelz2015 wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
Nelz2015 wrote:
That's a bit disappointing..HAAS is one of the schools I am applying to. I am a south asian female so that makes it even trickier :/ I can't be single during the mba though and don't want to be limited to only south asian guys. I guess this is over-thinking the whole thing. But I would not be too happy a single girl.


Oh I didn't want to make someone second guess their school choice!! I definitely think girls have the advantage in business schools, because there are so few of us, and I'd be ecstatic to go to Haas. While I've personally experienced many people that did graduate from both of those schools, it isn't everyone. Even I have hope that I'll find someone. I just found that places like NYC and Philadelphia were more open to inter-racial dating of all races. The problems I've faced here as a single half black/half white girl are things that wouldn't have been an issue for me when I was at school on the east coast. I don't think it means people are close-minded or bigoted at all. I just think people have pre-concieved ideas of what they think is attractive. Which isn't a problem I thought I'd face in such a liberal area as San Francisco.

Additionally, without getting too awkward, I don't think any Asian girls have anything to worry about.


Actually I will still apply to Haas but I am just trying to prioritize. Planning always helps me. I believe the 'fit' is important and I just don't want to be in place which is close-minded. And I believe Asian girls have nothing to worry about but south asian (Pakistani to be specific) do. :/ Good to have someone on the forum who knows about this comparisons between areas. How a liberal people are in a place will be a huge factor for me :)


It's definitely very liberal at Haas.

I also want to state again that I don't think people are close-minded. It's not like people specifically say they don't want to date someone of a certain race. Just people have their type, like most people. I have a friend that LOVES Hispanic guys. She's the most Irish girl I know. It doesn't mean she's close-minded or bigoted against blacks, whites, or asians, she just loves Hispanic men.
_________________

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ― Ellie R.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Location: European union
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 13:22
1
neo656 wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
The thing I noticed is that race does not really matters. What matters (more) is ethnicity. Ethnicity plays part to the extend to which one party decides to isolate him/herself and seek only people from their ethnicity. And when I say ethnicity, I mean religion. You mentioned that you are from Pakistan. Well, in the US there was in my uni a Pakistani clique and girls were wearing the burqa...which basically, at least to non-Muslim guys means "I am unavailable".

It is fair to say that Pakistani girls and Indian girls look similarly. I know two Caucasian guy - Indian girl couples, but I did not see a Caucasian guy - Pakistani girl couple, despite the fact that I am pretty sure Pakistani girls significantly outnumbered Indian ones.

Since Nelz2015 is talking about interracial dating, is applying to high ranking b-schools and is talking about open-mindedness, then I'd like to take it for granted that she's not one of the burqa-clad women...


I also take it for granted that Nelz2015 is not the burqa type of a girl. My example just served to show that its not ethnicity or race, its the actual behavior of the specific person.
Generally speaking, from my experience, as long as foreigners in Europe and the USA basically act as one of the rest, go to parties, socialize, have fun, there is no reason why these people cannot date/befriend the locals. But very often foreigners just hang with people of their own culture & language and makes it very difficult. Because, lets face it, no matter how b-schools try to sell the ideas of liberalism, multi-culturalism, diversity...at the end of the day, people like to stick with people with whom they can relate, with people that share similar views. Yes, people in b-schools are smart and open-minded and they will be very polite and welcoming, but I find it difficult to imagine that they will really get close with someone who exhibits very unfamiliar behavior and adheres to totally different culture.
Bottom line and I conclude this topic: From what I have seen, ethnicity, race, religion does not matter. It matters how you act in your new environment and how you personally and individually fit there ;)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Posts: 54
Location: Kazakhstan
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2014, 20:57
Ivan91 wrote:

I also take it for granted that Nelz2015 is not the burqa type of a girl. My example just served to show that its not ethnicity or race, its the actual behavior of the specific person.
Generally speaking, from my experience, as long as foreigners in Europe and the USA basically act as one of the rest, go to parties, socialize, have fun, there is no reason why these people cannot date/befriend the locals. But very often foreigners just hang with people of their own culture & language and makes it very difficult. Because, lets face it, no matter how b-schools try to sell the ideas of liberalism, multi-culturalism, diversity...at the end of the day, people like to stick with people with whom they can relate, with people that share similar views. Yes, people in b-schools are smart and open-minded and they will be very polite and welcoming, but I find it difficult to imagine that they will really get close with someone who exhibits very unfamiliar behavior and adheres to totally different culture.
Bottom line and I conclude this topic: From what I have seen, ethnicity, race, religion does not matter. It matters how you act in your new environment and how you personally and individually fit there ;)


In the US the "burqa-clad" comments will probably get flagged as politically incorrect. No judging, just saying. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not in the US anymore so I am free to say what I really think.

IMHO, there are cool people and "uncool" people in every culture and ethnicity. Certain countries, statistically speaking, export more uncool people than others. I would hang with people of any ethnicity or culture, including women sporting traditional clothes, as long as they're cool. But unfortunately, in most western countries, one is instantly perceived as "uncool" when he/she speaks English with a, say, Jackie-Chen accent (unless, of course, you know Kungfu and literally kick ass). And the only way for you to appear "cool enough to hang with" to those crowds is if you play precisely into the stereotypes and act like a clown for their amusement.

Many stereotypes are statistically true. I honestly don't think ignorant people have the mental capacity to fabricate such elaborate collections of cultural/ethnic traits out of thin air (sure, Hollywood helped a little, but the idea has to come from somewhere). Some people spend their entire life fighting against prejudices and striving to defy stereotypes, while many of "their own people" go around the world reinforcing prejudices by fitting the stereotypes to the t.

What are you supposed to do when you're born into a losing team where your teammates keep sabotaging the score?

Getting a bit off topic... my apologies. A much more interesting discussion though. :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 333
Location: European union
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 02:58
1
appleamily wrote:

In the US the "burqa-clad" comments will probably get flagged as politically incorrect. No judging, just saying. On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not in the US anymore so I am free to say what I really think.

IMHO, there are cool people and "uncool" people in every culture and ethnicity. Certain countries, statistically speaking, export more uncool people than others. I would hang with people of any ethnicity or culture, including women sporting traditional clothes, as long as they're cool. But unfortunately, in most western countries, one is instantly perceived as "uncool" when he/she speaks English with a, say, Jackie-Chen accent (unless, of course, you know Kungfu and literally kick ass). And the only way for you to appear "cool enough to hang with" to those crowds is if you play precisely into the stereotypes and act like a clown for their amusement.

Many stereotypes are statistically true. I honestly don't think ignorant people have the mental capacity to fabricate such elaborate collections of cultural/ethnic traits out of thin air (sure, Hollywood helped a little, but the idea has to come from somewhere). Some people spend their entire life fighting against prejudices and striving to defy stereotypes, while many of "their own people" go around the world reinforcing prejudices by fitting the stereotypes to the t.

What are you supposed to do when you're born into a losing team where your teammates keep sabotaging the score?

Getting a bit off topic... my apologies. A much more interesting discussion though. :D


Excellent post. I very much agree with the fact that although the word "stereotype" bears a negative meaning, it also serves a purpose. Stereotypes are very difficult to be "coined" and they take a lot of "observation" to become "statistically significant". They surely have value to the extent to which they are more likely to be true than false for an individual from a certain location.
However, the more open and liberal (California) an environment is, the easier it is for an individual coming from a negatively stereotyped country to come up as a valuable fit.
And about the political correctness thing. I think its highly overrated and in fact detrimental in many ways. Political correctness hinders communication and prevents people from expressing themselves in a way that might be useful and that might add value to a discussion. Just check out how useful and valuable is our conversation now, when we can freely express our thoughts and beliefs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Stay focused...
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 440
Location: United States (MI)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 08:02
God! So much of serious talk....
I've got something interesting to read if you're in a mood for a break before we get back to all the seriousness... :)

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/01/27/the-eight-immutable-laws-of-mba-dating/

Highlights...
1) If you weren't single when you arrived, odds are you will be by Thanksgiving.
2) For two years, you will work hard but have a very good time. ...duh!
3) Women are scarce and therefore in demand. Men are a plentiful commodity. like we haven't covered that already in this thread already.. ;)
4) In the dating world at large, an MBA makes a man more appealing, but not a woman. ...interesting new info...
5) Everything—including romance—moves much faster in B-school time.
6) People will warn you not to date someone in your section. You will do it anyway.
7) You will attempt to have a secret relationship, and you will fail.
8) No matter what you think, no matter what people tell you, this is solemn business.
_________________

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

I'm happy to help if you wanna know about Ross & UMich, but please do not come to me with your GMAT issues or questions. And please add a bit of humor to your questions or you'll bore me to death.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 16
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Oct 2014, 09:14
Ivan91 wrote:
neo656 wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
The thing I noticed is that race does not really matters. What matters (more) is ethnicity. Ethnicity plays part to the extend to which one party decides to isolate him/herself and seek only people from their ethnicity. And when I say ethnicity, I mean religion. You mentioned that you are from Pakistan. Well, in the US there was in my uni a Pakistani clique and girls were wearing the burqa...which basically, at least to non-Muslim guys means "I am unavailable".

It is fair to say that Pakistani girls and Indian girls look similarly. I know two Caucasian guy - Indian girl couples, but I did not see a Caucasian guy - Pakistani girl couple, despite the fact that I am pretty sure Pakistani girls significantly outnumbered Indian ones.

Since Nelz2015 is talking about interracial dating, is applying to high ranking b-schools and is talking about open-mindedness, then I'd like to take it for granted that she's not one of the burqa-clad women...


I also take it for granted that Nelz2015 is not the burqa type of a girl. My example just served to show that its not ethnicity or race, its the actual behavior of the specific person.
Generally speaking, from my experience, as long as foreigners in Europe and the USA basically act as one of the rest, go to parties, socialize, have fun, there is no reason why these people cannot date/befriend the locals. But very often foreigners just hang with people of their own culture & language and makes it very difficult. Because, lets face it, no matter how b-schools try to sell the ideas of liberalism, multi-culturalism, diversity...at the end of the day, people like to stick with people with whom they can relate, with people that share similar views. Yes, people in b-schools are smart and open-minded and they will be very polite and welcoming, but I find it difficult to imagine that they will really get close with someone who exhibits very unfamiliar behavior and adheres to totally different culture.
Bottom line and I conclude this topic: From what I have seen, ethnicity, race, religion does not matter. It matters how you act in your new environment and how you personally and individually fit there ;)


Yeah, I agree with everything you said. And no I am far from being burqa clad. MBA is the sort of program where you socialize, meet in groups, work in teams, travel together etc so I don't think the burqa clad group will apply anyway. There's actually no point to an MBA if someone will sit huddled in their room on a prayer mat. So I get what you are saying! About the Indian/Pakistani thing, I think generally people assume Indian girls are more 'modern' and westernized. It may actually be very true. Actually, btw, when I say interracial, I mean latin american, arabs, all races basically not just white-pakistani/indian dating.

Originally posted by Nelz2015 on 12 Oct 2014, 09:03.
Last edited by Nelz2015 on 12 Oct 2014, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA &nbs [#permalink] 12 Oct 2014, 09:03

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23    Next  [ 444 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.